Default How to adjust resolution size.

I have a new Samsung TV I cannot get rid of the black bars above and below the movie picture when streaming. I can adjust the screen size when watching TV or a Bluray disc but not when streaming from VUDU. How do I adjust the size? Need to get rid of the black bars to reduce burn in on my screen. Thanks.

Default Re: How to adjust resolution size.

Quote Originally Posted by boblew View Post
    I have a new Samsung TV I cannot get rid of the black bars above and below the movie picture when streaming. I can adjust the screen size when watching TV or a Bluray disc but not when streaming from VUDU. How do I adjust the size? Need to get rid of the black bars to reduce burn in on my screen. Thanks.
    Boblew,

VUDU does not allow you to zoom-in within the app itself. Most TV's will allow you to zoom, but i'm not sure if it would be enough to completely remove the bars.

Also, not all movies will have bars on top and bottom, some will be full screen. VUDU shows the movie as intended by the studio.
    Dan H.
    VUDU Forum Moderator

Angry Re: How to adjust resolution size.

Thanks Dan. But my TV will not allow me to adjust the screen size while the VUDU app is running. When I adjust before running VUDU it makes no difference in the resolution once I'm in the app. I'm stuck with black bars which Samsung says do not view their plasma TV with the black bars showing as it will cause screen burn. There has to be a way to watch a new movie on a new 16:9 TV without having the horizontal black bars.

Quote Originally Posted by boblew View Post
    I have the same problem with a Sharp Aquos. Did you ever gat an answer?

Just a suggestion, maybe you can do a 2 min. preview of the movie you are considering watching to see if it is the aspect ratio you want(i.e. your screen is filled)....otherwise, unfortunately you will have to resort to watching Blu-ray to accommodate the need to view films full screen.....There may not be anything VUDU can do to help in this case.....

Burn in would be unusual with the newer Plasma sets. Of course with LCD and DLP sets burn in is not an issue.

I noticed this on my Samsung tv as well. I think the answer is to stop using Vudu until they offer the option for full screen. Black bars are annoying and not good for LCD tv.

Quote Originally Posted by samsung View Post
    I noticed this on my Samsung tv as well. I think the answer is to stop using Vudu until they offer the option for full screen. Black bars are annoying and not good for LCD tv.
    Black bars do nothing at all to an LCD TV. It will not do anything to hurt it. It really depends on the aspect ratio. Just like when you go to the theater, the films have always had different aspect ratios. Only those around 1.78 :1 fill a 16:9 HDTV screen. And that is only around half the films. This is nothing new. You can also get an external scaler. I've been using them for over ten years. With them you can zoom in or out any content you want. But in my use I always run the movie as it is intended. Whether there are black bars on the top/botton, or on the right/left. I have no desire to zoom in and miss 40% of the picture. Or stretch the picture out making everything look distorted.

Thread Information