Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,095

    Default No Home Disc to Digital

    I spoke to a customer service rep from Samsung and they said they are not going to implement the home d2d through their players after all. They said it had to do with Vudu and Walmart's D2D agreement. I guess that explains why the D2D button on their player now just takes you to a screen that gives you instructions on how to take your movies to Walmart and they've removed any mention of it on their information page when looking up a player through Amazon. Personally I think that's a huge blow to disc 2 digital. There are a lot of people who would rather not go anywhere to have this done, particularly Walmart. And considering the stories we've seen on this board about Walmart's implementation of the service I wouldn't blame anyone for not using the service. Luckily I have a fairly close Walmart that usually (but not always) has someone on hand who knows the service. I was looking forward to doing the service at home though. Maybe something will change in the future.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: No Home Disc to Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by madmod20061 View Post
    I spoke to a customer service rep from Samsung and they said they are not going to implement the home d2d through their players after all. They said it had to do with Vudu and Walmart's D2D agreement. I guess that explains why the D2D button on their player now just takes you to a screen that gives you instructions on how to take your movies to Walmart and they've removed any mention of it on their information page when looking up a player through Amazon. Personally I think that's a huge blow to disc 2 digital. There are a lot of people who would rather not go anywhere to have this done, particularly Walmart. And considering the stories we've seen on this board about Walmart's implementation of the service I wouldn't blame anyone for not using the service. Luckily I have a fairly close Walmart that usually (but not always) has someone on hand who knows the service. I was looking forward to doing the service at home though. Maybe something will change in the future.
    Vudu had the exclusive D2D program rights from when it launched in April for either 4 or 6 months. But either way, it's over now.

    Rovi is still working on at home versions (see here). I know they were making software to do D2D right on your PC's and may make deals with new blu-ray players like they had with Samsung when it's ready to go.

    CES is coming soon. We'll see if UV has big announcements there again.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: No Home Disc to Digital

    Well.... Guess I ought to have listened to you when you told me not to buy the BD-e5900 for just that feature...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: No Home Disc to Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by sbuberl View Post
    Vudu had the exclusive D2D program rights from when it launched in April for either 4 or 6 months. But either way, it's over now.

    Rovi is still working on at home versions (see here). I know they were making software to do D2D right on your PC's and may make deals with new blu-ray players like they had with Samsung when it's ready to go.

    CES is coming soon. We'll see if UV has big announcements there again.

    When I asked the rep if the D2D feature was gone for good or if it could return later they gave a non-response of "we can't speculate on the future". I did point out the previous CES announcement to them, but they said things changed. Hopefully someone else picks up the home d2d features. I sure someone will.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    942

    Default Re: No Home Disc to Digital

    I don't put much stock in what a customer service rep says about company plans. I highly doubt they would know anything about company plans before it is announced to the public. And that article says Samsung is moving ahead with plans to implement it, and that was only 3 months ago, well after Wal-Marts program started. If CES comes and goes without an announcement, we will know its probably dead.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: No Home Disc to Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by echopulse View Post
    I don't put much stock in what a customer service rep says about company plans. I highly doubt they would know anything about company plans before it is announced to the public. And that article says Samsung is moving ahead with plans to implement it, and that was only 3 months ago, well after Wal-Marts program started. If CES comes and goes without an announcement, we will know its probably dead.
    Hopefully they do move ahead with it. The thing that worries me the most is that they've removed mention of it from their spec sheets and don't advertise it as a feature anymore.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get Social Visit VUDU on Youtube