Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HD vs HDX on 1080i

Hi... I am using vudu on a SONY WEGA XBR Plasma (KE-50XBR900) bought in 2003 that still gives me an amazing picture but only supports 1080i. It doesn't support 24p. I'm thinking that I'm not going to see much difference between a Vudu HD picture and vudu HDX picture... but would like to hear it from an expert. Everything I have read says the HD format is still 1080i, and that is the best picture my television is capable of receiving.

Thanks... I appreciate the help! I am trying to compare movies, but once the HD or HDX is purchased, I have to wait until it's completely off before ordering it again. It would be nice if it let me order both and then I'd be able to compare.

Default Re: HD vs HDX on 1080i

My TV is 720p and I see a HUGE difference between HD and HDX. The resolution of HD movies is also 1080p/24 - same as the resolution of HDX. All the resolution means is the number of pixels.

HDX movies are encoded at a higher bit rate and have less compression artifacts. Therefore, the quality of the video is noticeably better.

If you don't mind waiting the time for HDX to download, it's well worth the experience. You will see a difference.

I can see the difference between HD and HDX on my 1080i projector. There is also a noticeable improvement in sound quality with HDX. If you have a decent surround sound setup you'll probably hear the difference also. We still go with HD or even SD when we sit down and go looking for something to watch on the spur of the moment, but when something special on my wish list is in HDX I go ahead and rent it right away.
    Ed

The AVIS of Vudu fans - #2 so I try harder

Quote Originally Posted by Nded View Post
    but when something special on my wish list is in HDX I go ahead and rent it right away.
    Waiting for a chance to watch The Dark Knight in HDX...

Wait until Kung Fu Panda is available in HDX. It will blow away the Dark Knight. At least it did with the Blu-ray Disc versions.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    Wait until Kung Fu Panda is available in HDX.
    I have ZERO desire to watch that movie...

OK, watch Speed Racer in HDX. There's one we can agree on!

Day Watch is a really good example of a very good look HDX encode. Be warned, you need to watch Night Watch first to make any sense of Day Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
    Day Watch is a really good example of a very good look HDX encode. Be warned, you need to watch Night Watch first to make any sense of Day Watch.
    I watched both of them yesterday. They definitely upped the budget with Day Watch.

Interesting Russian movies, and I actually enjoyed Nochnoy dozor(Night Watch) and Dnevnoy dozor (Day Watch) even with the subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
    I have ZERO desire to watch that movie...

OK, watch Speed Racer in HDX. There's one we can agree on!
    Speed Racer in HDX was AWESOME!

Back to original question - HDX looks much better through my 1080i projector compared to HD.

In my theater I *try* to only watch HDX, but occasionally I don't have the choice.

HD & HDX also look much better on my SD TV than the SD version. I generally watch HD there because I don't want to wait. But for my theater, I just order online and go to the theater after it's had time to download.

Thread Information