Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffering issue

Unhappy Re: Buffering issue

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
    I once had 6 meg DSL service, and I was still able to watch HDX movies without buffering. I only had 1 segment of the buff-o-meter lit, but it never paused. I also increased my DSL speed from 6 meg to 12 meg. Now the buff-o-meter shows all segments lit up.

Last night, we were watching a movie in HDX, and it kept buffering. Eventually, we got a message recommending switching to HD or SD. HD was buffering as well, so we ended up watching in SD. I ran the Vudu speed test, and it filled up the meter - completely green. Nothing else was streaming or downloading at the time. We have NEVER had buffering problems before. Last night, the movie was unwatchable in HDX and HD. My BluRay is wired, not wireless. I remember streaming a movie last year on my UVerse service and the movie kept failing. Turns out, it was a bad file. Uverse refunded our money. Is it possible that 'Horrible Bosses' last night was a glitchy file itself? Why would Vudu's own speed test indicate a full green bar, and yet constantly buffer even the HD stream?

I have Comcast internet at about 20+ mbps and I suffer alot of buffering for an SD movie. VUDU continues to tell me its my ISP, but Comcast does testing and finds no issues with my service.....hmmm

Default Re: Buffering issue

If I'm correct, cable Internet is shared with everyone in the neighborhood. Cable is just one wire to which everyone in the node is connected. You'll see slower speeds in the evenings when everyone is on. DSL is more of a dedicated connection. You should see less variation in speed due to time of day. Keep in mind that the server you are connected to, whether Vudu, AOL, etc., may have alot of worldwide traffic trying to use it at the same time. That can affect performance as well. As a rule, slower speed is USUALLY on the customer end, but not always.

I've been streaming vudu without issue for over 3 years.

Last night I noticed the interface on my BX100 was really unresponsive. But it let me rent the HD version of the The Debt. It then attempted to play, got the playback UI and everything, but no video/sound. Rebooted the box which then failed to connect to the vudu service for approximately 45 minutes. Then all of the sudden connected and streamed the entire movie fine.

I noticed there were several comments on twitter and facebook with other issues having problems during the same period.

Is vudu having issues? I've rented probably 100 movies without issue before this. My internet was fine during the problematic period given multiple speedtests (including vudu's own) at over 30 mbps.

bald

0xA98A

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
    If I'm correct, cable Internet is shared with everyone in the neighborhood. Cable is just one wire to which everyone in the node is connected. You'll see slower speeds in the evenings when everyone is on. DSL is more of a dedicated connection. You should see less variation in speed due to time of day. Keep in mind that the server you are connected to, whether Vudu, AOL, etc., may have alot of worldwide traffic trying to use it at the same time. That can affect performance as well. As a rule, slower speed is USUALLY on the customer end, but not always.
    I have tried trouble shooting with VUDU and Comcast. They seem to each point the finger at each other. At Speedtest.net I see no change in speeds. Everything else in the house works. XBOX live, netflix surfing ther net is lightning fast etc.....I just don't get it, and I really enjoy VUDU when I can watch it....

I have been receiving the following message for the last month when I attempt to watch a movie on Vudu. "Your network speed is insufficient for uninterrupted playback at this quality. Recommend you select a lower quality to continue watching." I switched to SD, and still receive the problem. This is the second movie that I have rented

Quote Originally Posted by Bjenn View Post
    I have been receiving the following message for the last month when I attempt to watch a movie on Vudu. "Your network speed is insufficient for uninterrupted playback at this quality. Recommend you select a lower quality to continue watching." I switched to SD, and still receive the problem. This is the second movie that I have rented
    Bjenn,

Please give us a call at (888)554-VUDU so we can get a little more information about your setup.
    Dan H.
    VUDU Forum Moderator

I too have been having serious buffering issues in the last couple of days whereas I haven't in the past.

I did the Vudu speedtest and got 4.475Mbps down and 415kbps up.

My connection from device (Entone STB) to router (Westell 7550) is 100Mb wired Ethernet.

i have a similar issue, i attempted too watch a few of the many different programs ive purchased through vudu this evening in HDX ,first the buffering then the option too change too hd, so i went too hd.. same thing so i went too sd, so i thought i would check too see what the network test speed would say... green bars all the way too the top the whole time, says i should be able too watch movies at the HDX setting. then too add insult too injury i decided too check too see if a free preveiw of another HDX movie play for longer than about 15 sec's which is all i could get at HDX with the movies i own..... you'll never guess it played flawlessly.... please help, im a very, very frustrated customer! oh and afterwards i tried again and again too watch anything in hdx no go

For the past 2 Saturday evenings, I too have been having buffering issues with HDX on my Samsung DVD player. At the time, my vudu speed test shows 19 Mb/s down. With the movie streaming it is 13 Mb/s.

After downgrading to HD, the movie played fine.

Today, I am re-streaming the same movie in HDX just fine. Network parameters are the same. This seems to imply issues with Vudu servers during peak times.

Vudu support suggested turning off/resetting all of the devices on my network (cable modem, switches, computers, etc). That seems like a "vudu" solution for sure. They said was needed to "reset" the network connection to Vudu as opposed to simply restarting the DVD player, or even more simply - restarting the Vudu session.

Interesting issue tonight: I started buffering toward the end of the movie. One time when it started playing again, it was audio only. The picture was black. I finished watching the movie in HD. The soundtrack on the SD feed was not as good.

Thread Information