Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VoD Movie Hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VoD Movie Hobby

Over the years, my wife and I have amassed a collection of movie entertainment. Often, titles would sit on a shelf untouched for what seemed like a millennia.

When I discovered Vudu, I saw the potential. No more scratched DVD's to worry about. A movie library readily available from a remote. This made such sense to me so I took in my first batch of about 25 titles.

I have been methodical in my subsequent conversions. I plan what I will take in next and do so only when I get my paycheck. Each transaction I pay cash. Each cycle, I convert a few more.

This morning, I was at the WalMart Photo counter right at 9:00am with the below titles;

1) Limony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
    2) Transformers
    3) Gladiator (2000)
    4) Spiderman
    5) Spiderman 2
    6) X-Men

My family and I had 97 titles in our Vudu library after this morning's D2D transaction. When I got into work, I added two more outright purchases from my Wishlist;

1) Seven Years in Tibet
    2) Independence Day

This brings our total to 99 titles in our Vudu Library. The vast majority are HDX.

I find I enjoy immensely strategizing which titles I will next bring into the WalMart Photo counter to upgrade from SD DVD to HDX VoD. It has become an enjoyable hobby of mine and in the process, my family and I get to rediscover the enjoyment of past titles via D2D and new ones we add from outright purchases. This is a lot of fun!

The first titles I targeted were epic series. For instance, The Lord of the Ring trilogy, The Matrix trilogy, and all Harry Potter's. Those were the first to go. I also did all three Ocean 1x titles and all three Bourne titles.

From there, I sniped out titles of importance I wanted to have available via VoD and have been doing so since.

I did D2D on Crouching Tiger, Curse of the Golden Flower, House of the Flying Daggers, and Hero from the Asian side of things. I added to this Shaolin as an outright Purchase.

I also added the two nature titles Winged Migration and March of the Penguins via D2D as ones to throw on to fall asleep to. Seeing them in HDX upgrade is really nice.

Sleepy Hollow, Stir of Echoes from the scary side of things, and many epic military titles (Braveheart, Kingdom of Heaven, etc).

Kids have a large slice of the pie too. Space Chimps and all three Transformers, just to name a few.

Anyone out there agree this is a ton of fun and anyone out there do it in small batches like I do?

Re: VoD Movie Hobby

I had pretty much done the same thing with my library. All my titles have been converted, except for the titles that are not yet available. I now convert titles strictly form home using the Home D2D software on my PC. Generally it works great, but some times I have titles that are available for D2D (like Gladiator) but are not recognized by the software. These titles, I will either wait for them to become recognizable, or I'll make a trip to Walmart.

Comment

Yeah it is fun and a little expensive, for me anyways ... lol I now have over 1300 titles in my UV locker. I have some movies that aren't UV but I am totally against buying movies I already own that aren't UV unless they are a very nice deal like VUDU runs on occasion. Sub $10 HDX's if the movie is good I will buy it. I am waiting on MGM and my movie list will grow even larger. My family has varying taste in movies so it is quite easy to amass a large collection. I could easily have 2000 movies if they MGM and Disney joined UV and some of the hold outs from other studios were added. But frankly I prefer watching movies at home to going to the theater. Over priced, over crowded, noisy, uncomfortable, kids running around and crying yea my home is better!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ruinit View Post
        Yeah it is fun and a little expensive, for me anyways ... lol I now have over 1300 titles in my UV locker. I have some movies that aren't UV but I am totally against buying movies I already own that aren't UV unless they are a very nice deal like VUDU runs on occasion. Sub $10 HDX's if the movie is good I will buy it. I am waiting on MGM and my movie list will grow even larger. My family has varying taste in movies so it is quite easy to amass a large collection. I could easily have 2000 movies if they MGM and Disney joined UV and some of the hold outs from other studios were added. But frankly I prefer watching movies at home to going to the theater. Over priced, over crowded, noisy, uncomfortable, kids running around and crying yea my home is better!! lol

Sweet mother of Jehoshaphat! 1300+?

Well, I guess I am one thirteenth there.

I too will have to rent a fork lift when Disney Corp goes UV. I also expressly forbid purchasing a non UV title for VoD when I hold the media.

The Warner/Paramount deal was a great addition this past month for the back log. "Stargate" is one title I am really holding out for getting into the UV locker some time soon. I own it on Bluray. "Jerimia Johnson" is suppose to be out on 3-11-13, according to Flixster. That one I have in DVD needing an upgrade, however it was never released on Bluray.

We'll see...

I have two weeks to plot my next coup d'etat.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
          Over the years, my wife and I have amassed a collection of movie entertainment. Often, titles would sit on a shelf untouched for what seemed like a millennia.

When I discovered Vudu, I saw the potential. No more scratched DVD's to worry about. A movie library readily available from a remote. This made such sense to me so I took in my first batch of about 25 titles.

I have been methodical in my subsequent conversions. I plan what I will take in next and do so only when I get my paycheck. Each transaction I pay cash. Each cycle, I convert a few more.

This morning, I was at the WalMart Photo counter right at 9:00am with the below titles;

1) Limony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
          2) Transformers
          3) Gladiator (2000)
          4) Spiderman
          5) Spiderman 2
          6) X-Men

My family and I had 97 titles in our Vudu library after this morning's D2D transaction. When I got into work, I added two more outright purchases from my Wishlist;

1) Seven Years in Tibet
          2) Independence Day

This brings our total to 99 titles in our Vudu Library. The vast majority are HDX.

I find I enjoy immensely strategizing which titles I will next bring into the WalMart Photo counter to upgrade from SD DVD to HDX VoD. It has become an enjoyable hobby of mine and in the process, my family and I get to rediscover the enjoyment of past titles via D2D and new ones we add from outright purchases. This is a lot of fun!

The first titles I targeted were epic series. For instance, The Lord of the Ring trilogy, The Matrix trilogy, and all Harry Potter's. Those were the first to go. I also did all three Ocean 1x titles and all three Bourne titles.

From there, I sniped out titles of importance I wanted to have available via VoD and have been doing so since.

I did D2D on Crouching Tiger, Curse of the Golden Flower, House of the Flying Daggers, and Hero from the Asian side of things. I added to this Shaolin as an outright Purchase.

I also added the two nature titles Winged Migration and March of the Penguins via D2D as ones to throw on to fall asleep to. Seeing them in HDX upgrade is really nice.

Sleepy Hollow, Stir of Echoes from the scary side of things, and many epic military titles (Braveheart, Kingdom of Heaven, etc).

Kids have a large slice of the pie too. Space Chimps and all three Transformers, just to name a few.

Anyone out there agree this is a ton of fun and anyone out there do it in small batches like I do?
          Hi Walter,

Yes, I love it! when D2D came out last year I started similar to you I planned everything I wanted to add in large batches though. I have become a good friend of the Walmart staff lol I used to come in with some mother loads but I was always patient and tried to help as much as I could and they really appreciated I was never a jerk. I have over 1,000 movies now so the movies I D2D are ones that just come out that you awesome people post up. I check the forums all the time just to see if there is a new title for me to add I have so many movies I have collected over the years. I have also purchased a lot of movies without D2D I love ultraviolet! Thanks for your post take care buddy and have fun with your collection.

John

Comment

I'm only at 367 Movies, I either redeemed them or D2D. 1300 is a pretty large library! I guess my stack of blu's and dvd's was quite a bit smaller..... (mostly blu's) I have about 20 - 40 titles left to convert, which include some Disney films. I have yet to buy a Disney film since I started using UV in Aug 2012 because they don't support UV....

Comment

1300 is a large number I am sure some people on Vudu have a larger number than that but I am an old guy and been collecting movies for a while.. I am about out of movies that I am willing to spend even $2 on upgrading lol. There are however 6 Star Wars movies I would upgrade in a heartbeat MGM is making me made though with this adding only new releases. Either your in or your not!

Comment

I found out about Disc to Digital late in March when it was first announced, and immediately became very excited. At that time, I thought all titles from participating studio's would be available. I was a little disapointed with the initial list of only 4000. I wasn't able to find as many titles on that list as I had hoped. But I did find about 30% of my collection. I did those first. Then, I began to buy titles from half.com to replace the 30+ titles that were stolen from my room when my house was rented out to college students while I was in the Navy. That made each title about $4 total with shipping. Then I added $2 or $5 to upgrade, making it a great deal over buying a new DVD or blu-ray. I didn't care if the disc had scratches, came with a case, or even played at all. I got the cheapest one I could find. I didn't care about the physical disc. Once I converted it, I donated it to a family member or close friend. Out of the 200 DVD's I started with, they have all been converted with the exception of about 15 Disney titles, and 7 non-Disney DVD's. I have only converted about 10 of my 60+ blu-rays. But I do love collecting titles. I have made about 15 EST purchases, and 30 redemptions. My sub-account friend has also added about 30 of his to the account, So now I have over 300 titles in my account. There are about 10 I would like to get rid of, the ones that flixster put there, but I flixster won't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                  I found out about Disc to Digital late in March when it was first announced, and immediately became very excited. At that time, I thought all titles from participating studio's would be available. I was a little disapointed with the initial list of only 4000. I wasn't able to find as many titles on that list as I had hoped. But I did find about 30% of my collection. I did those first. Then, I began to buy titles from half.com to replace the 30+ titles that were stolen from my room when my house was rented out to college students while I was in the Navy. That made each title about $4 total with shipping. Then I added $2 or $5 to upgrade, making it a great deal over buying a new DVD or blu-ray. I didn't care if the disc had scratches, came with a case, or even played at all. I got the cheapest one I could find. I didn't care about the physical disc. Once I converted it, I donated it to a family member or close friend. Out of the 200 DVD's I started with, they have all been converted with the exception of about 15 Disney titles, and 7 non-Disney DVD's. I have only converted about 10 of my 60+ blu-rays. But I do love collecting titles. I have made about 15 EST purchases, and 30 redemptions. My sub-account friend has also added about 30 of his to the account, So now I have over 300 titles in my account. There are about 10 I would like to get rid of, the ones that flixster put there, but I flixster won't do it.

good idea. $9.00 per cloud stored / HDX title. Way to work the system.

Comment

I recently discovered VUDU and the D2D program. For Christmas my wife bought me a portable blu-ray player. I thought there has to be a better way to watch movies on the go. I was aware of digital copies and UV, but I have never redeemed them. So starting in January I began redeeming my movies and also using the d2d program. I started with 4 titles at Wal-Mart and it was a success. I then waited for the home d2d program. I now have 272 titles. I love the convenience, also when I recently went on vacation I loved being able to take my movies with me.

For me personally it has opened my eyes to owning titles just digitally (which is what the studios/Vudu want). I really don't want to store physical copies anymore.

I am curious how the CFF will work. I also think that Disney will have to commit for UV to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by woodrowjr View Post
                      I recently discovered VUDU and the D2D program. For Christmas my wife bought me a portable blu-ray player. I thought there has to be a better way to watch movies on the go. I was aware of digital copies and UV, but I have never redeemed them. So starting in January I began redeeming my movies and also using the d2d program. I started with 4 titles at Wal-Mart and it was a success. I then waited for the home d2d program. I now have 272 titles. I love the convenience, also when I recently went on vacation I loved being able to take my movies with me.

For me personally it has opened my eyes to owning titles just digitally (which is what the studios/Vudu want). I really don't want to store physical copies anymore.

I am curious how the CFF will work. I also think that Disney will have to commit for UV to be successful.
                      Mr. Woodrow Jr.,

Hello. I too love no local hard disk storage is needed. I get a simple roku with an HDMI output and my entire library is at my fingertips. Also, as you suggest, the entire library is mobile on my iPhone and my kids' Kindle Fires.

I work in the technology sector. Some of my co-workers have vast amounts of home storage utilized to view their movies. I am talking in the terabytes.

I use no storage. Zero. To me, that is a convenience I am more than happy to pay for. I just reach for the Roku remote.

Plus, as I wrote, this is a hobby I have come to enjoy.

Sincerely,

-Walter

Comment

How do you get the movies on the Kindle Fire, since you can't access the Play store, and I didn't think there was a vudu app in the Amazon App store?

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                          How do you get the movies on the Kindle Fire, since you can't access the Play store, and I didn't think there was a vudu app in the Amazon App store?
                          Flixster to the rescue. Works like a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruinit View Post
                            Mylanta, you have 1300 titles on Vudu? I have 70 and it's already getting hard to scroll through all of them when trying to find one with 70. I can't imagine how long it takes to scroll through all of them with 1300. I'm talking about scrolling through them on the blu-ray player where I watch them. I don't like to watch movies on a laptop or tablet as the video is too small.

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
                              Mylanta, you have 1300 titles on Vudu? I have 70 and it's already getting hard to scroll through all of them when trying to find one with 70. I can't imagine how long it takes to scroll through all of them with 1300. I'm talking about scrolling through them on the blu-ray player where I watch them. I don't like to watch movies on a laptop or tablet as the video is too small.
                              It's not bad, I use Roku mostly to play mine and I just hooked up my new Roku3 seems snappier I haven't watched a movie yet to see if it has to be reset like the others

What I do is figure out what I'm in the mood for and sort by Genres and Tomatometer so it's not so bad. Now when I am just looking for something to watch it becomes more complicated, kinda like looking at Netflix or Amazon prime, only I don't have all the junk they do

Comment

Working...
                              X