Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Amazon FireTv Announced Will there be a Vudu App?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/a...reaming-stick/

Flixster in on there maybe they will let competing services like Vudu have an app? I refuse to purchase until this is made clear. I had also been hoping that with this service they would begin supporting UV. But nothing was announced.

Re: Amazon FireTv Announced Will there be a Vudu App?

Originally posted by Ruinit View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/a...reaming-stick/

Flixster in on there maybe they will let competing services like Vudu have an app? I refuse to purchase until this is made clear. I had also been hoping that with this service they would begin supporting UV. But nothing was announced.

Roku has Vudu, Target Ticket and Flixster all supporting UltraViolet streaming. I would HOPE there is a Vudu app, if not at least you can access the majority of your UV collection on it, most likely.

I went ahead an ordered one.

It's clear it supports Dolby Digital 7.1 which is great for Vudu.

It is NOT clear if it will support 3D though.

Comment

Probably not gonna happen. There's no Vudu app for their crappy Kindle Fire's (their choice I'm sure) so my guess is a big no. Stick with Roku's or Chromecast's and ditch Amazon for video services and hardware.

Roku, Chromecast, and Vudu FTW.

Comment

Title in the link is misleading (Engadget's fault, not yours), as this is not a streaming stick, but a set-top box.

I do not see any value in this thing at all. If this was before the Roku came out, then yea. I do not see the logic at all here. The main thing that confuses me is that why would a company that already has it's movie content available on just about everything connected to the TV already, waste the money on R&D to come out with their own hardware to access that same content?

Living rooms are crowded enough, and this is little more than another "me too" media streamer that might play a few halfway interesting games.

I just don't understand who this is for. Google users aren't going to stop using their Chromecasts/Google TV, Apple users aren't going to drop Apple TV, Roku users aren't going to put their boxes out to pasture for this, and gamers definitely will not be jumping from their consoles/PC to play games on it.

Much like the Kindle Fire tablet line, it comes off as a solution in search of a problem.

Comment

I think they are predicting lots and lots of streaming boxes being sold in the next couple years, amazon will take some sales away from roku just with their name, the same way people who have no clue buy the apple tv because they have heard of the name and assume its the best one.

Comment

Originally posted by huskerbear View Post
            I think they are predicting lots and lots of streaming boxes being sold in the next couple years, amazon will take some sales away from roku just with their name, the same way people who have no clue buy the apple tv because they have heard of the name and assume its the best one.
            What a great point. I have lots of friends, co-workers, and family that never heard of Vudu even though it's in Walmart. They are not doing a very good job of marketing a great service. These same people have never even heard of a Roku.

Comment

Why do this? It makes sense. There are still plenty of people without a streaming device in their living rooms. Sure, Amazon content is available on most other platforms, but by owning the platform they also get a piece of the revenue for video and game sales and rentals. You can also bet there will be a shopping app and Kindle-like Offers pages here or there.

Think down the road, though, where they can offer physical products related to the stuff you're watching. One of Amazon's greatest assets is its recommendation engine. Put that to work here along with one click purchases and you have a cash cow platform. I think that's the endgame.

Oh yeah, if/when Vudu shows up on the platform, I'll be pretty tempted. The Blu-Ray player we're using for streaming is a little on the slow side and you have to dig through several menus to get to my content.

Comment

I think the biggest thing that Amazon Fire TV box has others do not really fully support is gaming. Yes there is somewhat gaming support on the Roku, but looking at specs between the two boxes Amazon can handle it way better. Roku only has 512 MB Ram while the Amazon box has 2GB which is a drastic difference. Also I know it was mentioned but it has Flixster. So as long as you have your ultraviolet account linked you should be able to view most of your VUDU movies on Flixster (as long as they are ULTRAVIOLET). So ya Im sure you will lose some movies, but Id think you should be able to view most.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakkMajik3000 View Post
                  Title in the link is misleading (Engadget's fault, not yours), as this is not a streaming stick, but a set-top box.

I do not see any value in this thing at all. If this was before the Roku came out, then yea. I do not see the logic at all here. The main thing that confuses me is that why would a company that already has it's movie content available on just about everything connected to the TV already, waste the money on R&D to come out with their own hardware to access that same content?

Living rooms are crowded enough, and this is little more than another "me too" media streamer that might play a few halfway interesting games.

I just don't understand who this is for. Google users aren't going to stop using their Chromecasts/Google TV, Apple users aren't going to drop Apple TV, Roku users aren't going to put their boxes out to pasture for this, and gamers definitely will not be jumping from their consoles/PC to play games on it.

Much like the Kindle Fire tablet line, it comes off as a solution in search of a problem.
                  Amazon is creating an environment like Apple. You'll notice if you look though all the press there is actually a lot of tie in's with their Kindle fire. Personally I can't say that's going to work. I don't think they're really told that many Fire's compared to Tabs, Nexus, Ipad, etc; BUT they keep trying and throwing money at it.

The other selling point is that they are pushing the INSTANT market. It's not something that's going to come across in the press. It's going to be one of those things that you use and you're like it's not VASTLY different from anyone else but it just "FEELS" smoother, quicker, etc.

Then they are going after the cheaper game. People that can't afford (or don't want to) to spend $300-400 on a console and then $50-75 per game. Especially when the rest of the family might be totally lost in how to use it to watch movies or TV.

Lastly they are going after the tweakers with things like voice control. Been done before, mostly in Korean TV's. Still hasn't really taken off. But it's a selling point to draw people in. They may stop using it, but they they buy because of it.

Amazon isn't saying we can do everything, or that we're bleeding edge but they cramming everything we can think of in there, throwing a few kitchen sinks in to make sure it doesn't fall apart with too little power, and making sure that everyone can use it and be (fairly) happy, especially for the price.

>>> I <<< bought one but then I buy one of most every streamer, including a Roku HDMI Streaming Stick last week if for no reason then just to see if Vudu or UV looks, works better, or offers something I missed.

Comment

Originally posted by MoWeb View Post
                    What a great point. I have lots of friends, co-workers, and family that never heard of Vudu even though it's in Walmart. They are not doing a very good job of marketing a great service. These same people have never even heard of a Roku.
                    No offence to Vudu staff or Wal-Mart but slapping Wal-Mart on Vudu products to "help" sell them would DRAG thebrand image down to image. I understand the resources that Wal-Mart brings but Vudu started out as a HIGH END "nitch" company for videophiles which is WHY I went with them and continued to stay with them.

I had SERIOUS concerns about the buy out when I heard about it. Likewise with the Land Rover, Jaguar, etc buyouts. I have no problems with Chinese or Indian companies but they are the last people you think about to buy out a high end car company. Same with Bentley, Rolls, BMW, VW.

Anyhow the gap is obviously narrowing quickly and Vudu is not the only 1080P streaming service and 4K is bound to replace it. Likewise 3D and DD+7.1 is also propagating to other services. Vudu needs some game changers to stay in it. I don't like M-Go but them getting the default Roku instead of Vudu was another nail for Vudu to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MattO View Post
                      Oh yeah, if/when Vudu shows up on the platform, I'll be pretty tempted. The Blu-Ray player we're using for streaming is a little on the slow side and you have to dig through several menus to get to my content.
                      It's a bit pricey but check out a new/used Oppo BDP-103. Blazingly fast and Vudu button on remote. 3D. 4K up sampling. HDMI inputs with switching capability. Nice. About $400.

Or get the prior model BDP-93 used for about $300 just as fast but not quite as many features.

Comment

Seems like Amazon is looking to compete with the Roku rather than AppleTV.

Comment

Originally posted by rdodolak View Post
                          Seems like Amazon is looking to compete with the Roku rather than AppleTV.
                          And what concerns me is that they don't seem to see a need to compete with Vudu and other UV retailers. They continue to ignore UV and do things their own way. Not saying that there is anything wrong with that, because it seems to be working for them. Just saying that I am really getting worried about the future of UV with Amazon, Netflix, Disney and iTunes all out there being very successful without being a partner to UV.

Plus, what are people supposed to think when they visit the UV website and it seems that it was designed and written by elementary students who are learning how to code? What is the real "health" of UV? Nothing major has really happened in a long time for UltraViolet. Extreme lack of marketing and publicity is a major problem and not having a single reliable website to manage your locker is a problem. Not being able to EASILY setup a single account (single ID and password) that can be shared across ALL retailers makes it a real pain.

It's really sad and I don't think that there is anyone out there that can address any of this. Who really owns UV? Who makes "business" decisions and follows up to make sure that right things are being done? Is UV a real company? I think it's just a service that was created by a few studios and they pretty much ignore it now that they feel like it's functional. I really don't know, but I hope that things start improving SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by davidevan84 View Post
                            I think the biggest thing that Amazon Fire TV box has others do not really fully support is gaming. Yes there is somewhat gaming support on the Roku, but looking at specs between the two boxes Amazon can handle it way better. Roku only has 512 MB Ram while the Amazon box has 2GB which is a drastic difference. Also I know it was mentioned but it has Flixster. So as long as you have your ultraviolet account linked you should be able to view most of your VUDU movies on Flixster (as long as they are ULTRAVIOLET). So ya Im sure you will lose some movies, but Id think you should be able to view most.
                            Not only that, it's quad core, and Roku 3 is dual core. If the fireTV gets a Vudu app, it won't have the memory/lockup issues that Rokus have streaming/buffering the higher quality video.

This ironically highlights the biggest failing of the fireTV, IMO:

"It drives me bananas that I can't watch my Prime Instant Video on my Apple TV," said Amazon's Peter Larsen.
                            (It's ironic because the fireTV doesn't play iTunes content.)
                            Last edited by MaxH; 04-03-2014, 05:42 AM. Reason: Fixed quotation marks

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                              Not only that, it's quad core, and Roku 3 is dual core. If the fireTV gets a Vudu app, it won't have the memory/lockup issues that Rokus have streaming/buffering the higher quality video.

This ironically highlights the biggest failing of the fireTV, IMO:

(It's ironic because the fireTV doesn't play iTunes content.)
                              Amazon was careful to not put any competing services on the box. They could because they are cheaper than any of the others such as Mgo, Targetticket, Cinemanow etc. I have several different devices already that I don't need another one unless it handled all my services. Amazon sells Disney cheaper than Vudu or Itunes. It will probably take years before we know whether or not our UV's are safe I have over 2400 movies now so I am a little concerned.

Comment

Working...
                              X