Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Dear Vudu, my top 10 feature requests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Vudu, my top 10 feature requests

Dear Vudu,

You've got a really great thing going! You're the go-to choice for most of us home movie enthusiasts, primarily because you're the only one with UVVU and DMA. That said, you could turn your really great thing into a FANTASTIC thing if you implemented the features below (roughly in order of importance). I know you're a customer-centric company, so I hope we get to see all of these soon!
    1. Disney disc-to-digital - I know this is probably beyond your control, but please do whatever you can to make this happen. It, more than anything else, would be a game changer. Also just adding more movies to disc-to-digital would be great as well (there are way too many unrecognized discs, including those that work on Flixster D2D and are available on UVVU), but I'm sure you're always working on that.
    2. Default to view of movies I own - I buy plenty of movies from you, but most of the time when I come to Vudu it's because I want to watch a movie, not buy one. The default view when I go to Vudu.com or open any app should be My Vudu, not "Movies & TV." Think of Netflix, where you instantly see all the movies you can watch and all you have to do is click on go. At a minimum, I should have the option of setting this as the default view in settings somewhere. Even further, your whole site is just way too pushy on the sales front--for example, having a "Movies & TV" button, a "Deals" button, and a "Kids Zone" button, and then a row down having "New," "Movies," "TV," "collections," etc. buttons all of which just lead me to movie purchase pages with other options for more movie purchase pages. It's almost like you intentionally make it difficult for me to find the movies I can actually watch (i.e., the ones I own). You're going to start really being a huge success when people are coming you for all their movie WATCHING needs.....because once they're watching everything on Vudu, that's when they'll start buying everything on Vudu. Why do you think Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video are always bragging about how many hours people watched on them? Because that means people are dependent on them and moving to them for the long-term! Quit it with all the pushy sales pages and just simplify everything--there should be two main pages: a My Vudu page (that is the default) and a "Store" page where you can buy everything.
    3. Movie censoring on the fly - I (and MANY other users I know) would LOVE it if you provided the option for users to censor out select content by automatically muting and/or fast-forwarding it. Check out VidAngel for an example of what I mean--they let you disable language, nudity, violence, etc., and even let you select with granularity what you want to censor out. Note that this is different from the "CleanFlix" method as this way of doing it is totally legal and legit. This would result in me buying WAY more movies than I do currently as there are a ton of movies that I don't buy due to their poor content but that I would totally get if I had the option to censor it out. I have many friends who are in the same boat.
    4. Folders - If you want people to buy lots of movies from you, you have to let them organize those movies. Having 200-500+ movies all listed on the same page just doesn't work. Let people create folders and dump their movies into folders so that they can get organized and display them in manageable groups. I know you can display them by genre, but oftentimes those aren't going to match up with the way people really want to view them. For example, I just want to have a "Kids" folder for my kids and a "Parents" folder for us parents. When I go to "My Vudu," I just want to see the "Parents" and "Kids" folders that I created and organized the way that I organized them. Alternatively, instead of true folders you could do "tagging" similar to gmail so that you could have one movie associated with multiple tags/folders.
    5. Titles in plain text - It would make movies much easier to find and navigate if you included their titles in plain text above or below the images. Sometimes covers take awhile to load and sometimes they have titles that are hard to read. Plain text would be easy to search and easy to find. This would matter most on the web version but would also be helpful in the apps.
    6. Ungroup bundled purchases - Just because I bought a group of movies together in a bundle for a discount doesn't mean I want to see the movies grouped that way when shown in My Movies. In fact, nobody would ever want to see them grouped in My Movies--it's annoying and makes them hard to find. A lot of people go out of their way to buy bundles on a separate Vudu account linked to the same UVVU account just so that they can avoid this and have their movies show up separately on their main Vudu account. Get rid of this and show each movie separately.
    7. Better video experience on the web - Look at the movie watching experience on Netflix and try to copy that! When you click a movie, it instantly fills your entire browser window. You can then resize the browser window to whatever you want, and the movie resizes with it. On Vudu, for some unknown reason, the movie pops up in a box within the browser window while still showing the Vudu webpage in the background. Why would anybody ever want to watch a movie on a smaller part of their screen so that they could see the Vudu/movie webpage in the background? They wouldn't! Just make the movie fill the browser window completely.
    8. Allow custom title renaming - Oftentimes the official movie titles just aren't helpful for organizing purposes. For example, like many folks I have two Planet of the Apes movies but neither are listed under "P" - one is under "D" for Dawn and the other under "R" for Rise, and neither is anywhere near the other. It would be great if I could rename these titles just for my purposes so that they are easier to find. Even better, you could have a separate "Sorting Name" field or something similar that would allow me to put custom names in for purposes of alphabetizing (e.g., "Planet of the Apes 1" and "Planet of the Apes 2") while still showing their real/official titles next to the movie image (per #3 above).
    9. Simplify the movie pages - The page for a given movie generally looks cluttered and overly complicated. For example, when I've already purchased a movie I don't want to see a button for "from $9.99" anymore--it's confusing and makes me think I don't actually own the movie when in fact the button is apparently just for an eGift option. If you have to include an eGift button, just make it say "eGift" without the price and put it somewhere else so that it's not so confusing with the usual purchase button. Likewise, I don't need to see large/prominent "SD," "HD," and "HDX" logos when I own the HDX copy. Perhaps most importantly, the "Watch" and "Download" buttons, although at the top, are too hidden and nondescript. If someone already owns a move, then 99% of the time when they go to that movie's page it's so that they can watch the movie or download it--as such, those buttons should be WAY more prominent and really dominate the page when they're available. What would probably make the most sense is to have the buy buttons prominently displayed in the middle of the page for movies that aren't owned and then to replace those with watch and download buttons prominently displayed in the middle of the page for movies that are owned.
    10. Get rid of "HD" and "HDX" split - Trying to distinguish between these two really just adds confusion and no value. Whether you want to call it "HD" or "HDX," either is fine but get rid of the concept of a 720p standard--just stick to a low res and a high res.

Much love,
    oscarsonthepond

P.S. PM me if you want to discuss!

Re: Dear Vudu, my top 10 feature requests

Great suggestions!

Comment

A couple to add from me (new guy on the block).

HD(X) on iPad - I mean, if you'll let me download HDX on a PC, then why not on my iPad? New models have many, many pixels and plenty of storage.

Disney on Ultraviolet - I know you can't do this on your own....but just in case anyone from Disney is poking around on here.

Comment

Talk to Apple about the HDX

Talk to Disney about UV.

Somehow, I don't believe Mickey Mouse peruses the Vudu forums.

Comment

Those are very good suggestions, and are very well written. I agree with most all of it, especially #1, #3, and #4. #6, #7 and #9 are not needed as much, but would add to the enjoyment of vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
            Talk to Apple about the HDX

Talk to Disney about UV.

Somehow, I don't believe Mickey Mouse peruses the Vudu forums.
            Apple is not restricting HDX accesss. It doesn't exist on Android either. Likely due to very device specific contract clauses.

I've also already emailed Mickey directly about UV and Disc to Digital. Good software devs will stay up on their potential audience and their needs across a variety of mediums. If I led a team at DMA I would definitely be looking at what people like and don't like across other services that are partners or competition.

Comment

I thought I read from a Vudu guy who said that iPhones are restricted by Apple. I'll have to see if I can dig that up later.

I know you won't like me saying this, but I find your comment about how Vudu or Disney or whoever should run their business just as annoying as you'll find my comment. Add yourself to the very long list of customers who know better than Vudu how to run Vudu. Customers make it sound so easy. My reality check is when Vudu states from time to time that it's just not quite as simple as customers think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                I thought I read from a Vudu guy who said that iPhones are restricted by Apple. I'll have to see if I can dig that up later.

I know you won't like me saying this, but I find your comment about how Vudu or Disney or whoever should run their business just as annoying as you'll find my comment. Add yourself to the very long list of customers who know better than Vudu how to run Vudu. Customers make it sound so easy. My reality check is when Vudu states from time to time that it's just not quite as simple as customers think it is.
                Jeff,

I have no expectation that it is simple, and I never stated such. I run a small development team at a large company and realize that things take money, time, and resources all of which are always in limited supply. However, I know my team always directly asks for feedback from our customers and likes to know where there priorities lie because we weigh the frequency of requests in planning our roadmap. We also make internal judgement calls that don't align with customers short term hopes, but that we feel are necessary in the long term for success. I understand that happens to. If no one ever brings up the things they want, then why would you develop them or argue for them when negotiating terms with partners when you have to fight for every feature to be added.

And for me, as a new customer joining the family and spending money...my priorities are an improved mobile device experience, and to get more studios in to the fold. I don't think that that's necessarily easy, but I do think they are worthwhile long term for Vudu.

Comment

Some pretty good suggestions, especially for those with larger Vudu libraries. However, I have a few more suggestions that I would like to see implemented.

Extras+ Vs. Movies with Bonus Features

I don't know why certain movies come with Extras while other movies with bonus features don't. Extra features are one of the main reasons many people are sticking with physical media. Bonus features should come with the movie and not cost more. The fact that they have already implemented the Extras+ means that it is even more frustrating to learn that many of our movies that have additional features don't come with those features. It is even more frustrating that the only way to get those features is to buy the bundled version or the disc. Moreover, these features should be easily accessible on all our streaming devices. ITunes has already started bundling extras with many of their movies, so Vudu should make this a priority.

HD Streaming

We should have the option to stream HD on our tablet or PC.

More versatile playback options

There should be more options such as the ability to choose playback speed or advance frame by frame (similar to Quicktime).

Upgrade

We should have the ability to upgrade from SD to HD, as this will give Vudu customers more confidence about adopting this format (especially with 4K on the horizon).

Select Audio Output

Netflix allows you to select audio output. For the most part, I use my high end home entertainment system (where I like to get the highest quality audio presentation available), but when I can't view a movie this way, I prefer stereo sound.

Comment

Looks like the new iPad/iPhone app follows suggestion #2 (defaulting to view the movies I own rather than movies for sale). I know the app came out before this post, so I can't came any credit for it. That said, great job! I think if you did the same for your web/Roku/Smart TV/etc. apps, it would be a huge plus.

Comment

I don't recall the iPhone/iPad app ever showing movies available for purchase or rent. It's always been about movies previously purchased and/or rented.

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsonthepond View Post
                        Looks like the new iPad/iPhone app follows suggestion #2 (defaulting to view the movies I own rather than movies for sale). I know the app came out before this post, so I can't came any credit for it. That said, great job! I think if you did the same for your web/Roku/Smart TV/etc. apps, it would be a huge plus.
                        That's because Apple restricts content providers from selling content through IOS apps. To do so, vudu would have to give Apple 30% of the cost of the item.

Comment

Deploy CFF.....I do not like the new net neutrality rules just passed by the FCC........I want to download my movies to local storage....

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsonthepond View Post
                            1. Disney disc-to-digital
                            2. Default to view of movies I own
                            3. Movie censoring on the fly
                            4. Folders
                            5. Titles in plain text
                            6. Ungroup bundled purchases
                            7. Better video experience on the web
                            8. Allow custom title renaming
                            9. Simplify the movie pages
                            10. Get rid of "HD" and "HDX" split

Much love,
                            oscarsonthepond
                            P.S. PM me if you want to discuss!
                            1) Disney disc to digital will not happen this century. Check again in 2100. Okay but seriously this is really far fetched.

2) My guess is that the sales it generates is worth the annoyance. It bothers me only a tiny bit. I just bookmarked http://www.vudu.com/movies/#my_vudu/my_movies

3) Cool idea. I worry that there are legal problems with this, but I would definitely love that feature.

4) Yes, absolutely.

5) Search capability definitely should be improved. (like you can search, but not filter your results after a search)

6) Not necessarily true. I recently purchased a 10 movie Star Trek bundle, and I am VERY HAPPY it only takes up 1 spot on my screen. Whole discussion is moot though if we were able to organize our collections.

7) Yes, I've also been annoyed that I was not able to re-size my video (other than full screen).

8) Could be useful... possibly the same problem as #3. I'd be mostly satisfied with folders.

9) Agreed.

10) Strongly disagree. I very much like the option of streaming/downloading HD instead of HDX (even if I own HDX). I can't really imagine choosing to purchase HD (instead of HDX or SD) but I definitely enjoy being able to view 720. If HD was removed I would use HDX slightly more.

I really think the two biggest improvements that VUDU "needs" are
                            Ability to Organize Collection
                            Parental Controls (password required for movies above a certain rating, or specific movies, etc)

Secondarily they could also use some upgrades on their Search/Filter and Viewing Experience.

Comment

good stuff, some of the ones i really like i have commented on...

Default to view of movies I own

LOVE THIS! i am a regular customer, i have bought several movies through your store as well as converted DVDs through the website, i will buy when i want, but i am primarily checking it out to WATCH a movie... let that be my default

Folders

i want this feature so bad, i am someone who likes things to be organized and with a growing library of movies from Vudu its becoming overwhelming. to be able to put the kids movies in one folder categorize my movies, maybe password protect a folder if i want so my kids don't pop on an PG-13 or R movie...

Ungroup bundled purchases

this seems like such a no-brainer to me... i want to see all of the movies i own, give them each their own entry

Allow custom title renaming

i like this, not an essential, but i can see its value

Comment

Working...
                              X