Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Essential Extended Cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essential Extended Cuts

The recent post about the Dune Extended Cut really got me thinking about alternate cuts of movies and which ones people consider essentials. I haven't seen the extended cut of Dune because I disliked the theatrical version so much, I didn't think it would be worth submitting myself to that again. But if it really does make the film substantially better, I might do it. I have a number of movies on Vudu that I have added twice. With some, the extended version wasn't available when I got it the first time. With others, the two versions are different enough that I like to have both. Honestly, though, I find that the "unrated" versions of a lot of films...especially comedies...rarely change much, and usually don't improve the film. What extended or alternate cuts are on your "essential lists" and what would you like to see added to Vudu?

My list would be:

Kingdom of Heaven - The Director's Cut is the only version that should exist. In fact, it's the only movie on this list that I have flat out refused to add to my UV collection until the superior version is available. I've noticed that the artwork was recently changed to reflect "Theatrical Version" so hopefully that means that the Director's Cut will be available at some point.

Leon: The Professional - The International Cut just fleshes out the story so much better. It is one of my favorite films, so I did D2D it, but I really want the "full version" to become available.

Almost Famous: Bootleg Edition - I don't know that I would call this version "essential" since the theatrical cut is such a great film, but it does add more to the movie. It's a great example of more of a great thing.

The Blues Brothers Unrated edition - Like Almost Famous, this is a case of "more of a good thing" of a film that I outright love. I will say that I don't think that it necessarily improves the film. It kind of messes up the pacing at parts and makes it drag a bit. I own both versions, but unless you really love the movie like I do, I would say that the theatrical version is good enough.

Hellboy - the extended edition of the first Hellboy film isn't really "essential" either, but it does add some nice extra touches. I would definitely add it if it was available.

Payback: Straight Up Cut - This one is almost the opposite of Almost Famous. Instead of enhancing the feeling of the film, it changes it pretty substantially. This is a much darker and less funny version of the story. I actually prefer the theatrical cut, but it is a great study in how editing can totally change the feel of a film. I would love to get the original version on Vudu.

Daredevil - I'm not going to say the Director's Cut is "essential" because, frankly, it's still not a good film, but like Payback, it does change the tone substantially. Unlike Payback, the darker tone is actually an improvement. Again, this is an interesting study in the power of editing and worth a look if you haven't seen it.

Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut - this one is really strictly for the film nerds. They attempted to take out all of Richard Lester's changes and restore the film to what it might have been if Donner had been allowed to finish it. They actually use screen test footage at some points and recycle the ending of the first movie, so it is not at all a "complete" film, but it does add some interesting insights. I think it's worth watching for the additional Marlon Brando Jor-El footage, if nothing else.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut - This is my preferred version. I know there are like 5 different cuts out there, but this one seems to have the best of all of them. It alters the story a bit from the original, but I think it's an improvement.

The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions - How do you improve a highly regarded trilogy of films where the biggest complaint is that they are too long? Make 'em longer! I know that it is counter-intuitive, but particularly with The Fellowship of the Ring, the Extended Editions do improve the pacing of these films. Personally, I only own the Extended Versions on Vudu because if I'm going to make the commitment to these movies, I might as well go all in. I actually think the extended versions of the Hobbit films are improvements as well, but the positives are not nearly as rewarding and the movies are not nearly as good.

Aliens: Special Edition - Another of my preferred versions. The special edition doesn't substantially change the movie, but it does add little details that make the story fuller; particularly the inclusion of the information that Ripley has a daughter. It changes the dynamic between her an Newt in a good way. I don't know that I would add any of the other alternate cuts of the Aliens franchise to this list. Alien 3 would be closest, but I don't really think it changes it that much. I probably do need to give that one another watch, though.

The Abyss: Special Edition - This version just makes the alien's action make more sense. When the whole climax of the movie relies on that, I think it's a big improvement. I would love to get a correctly formatted HDX version on Vudu (hint, hint)

Dances With Wolves - the Director's Cut really adds a lot and I would like to have it in my collection. It's been a long time since I've watched this movie at all, so it's hard to really comment in detail.

Some other Director's Cuts or Unrated Cuts that I can't really speak to how much of an improvement they offer are Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Amadeus, American Gangster, Zodiac, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Hancock, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Team America, Argo, The Town, Troy, True Romance, Brazil & Terminator 2. What do you guys say? Did I miss some? I'm sure I did. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

Re: Essential Extended Cuts

I really wish Vudu would get Payback: Straight Up Cut; I really hate the director's cut of this film.

I also wouldn't mind getting on Vudu . . . Leon: The Professional: The International Cut; Almost Famous: Bootleg Edition; Dances With Wolves: Director's Cut; The Abyss Special Edition in HDX; and lastly, True Romance: Theatrical version (I love the Director's cut, but would love to have both versions).

I haven't seen the Terminator 2: Director's Cut, but I'd love to check it out.

Comment

Superman The Movie: International salkind extended cut, Superman II: RIC extended cut, Superman III: extended TV cut, are the bare essentials for any Supes die hard.

Comment

Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut is now available on VUDU (non-UV however). It's a step.

Comment

I would add the Avatar extended cut. Sounded interesting, with scenes from Earth in the beginning and so on.

Comment

Alternate cuts I'd love to get on Vudu:
            Black Hawk Down
            Bugsy
            Crash
            Crimson Tide
            Donnie Brasco
            E.T.
            Gladiator
            JFK
            Leon
            Limitless
            The Patriot
            Payback
            Pearl Harbor

Comment

The Gladiator Extended cut is available on VUDU

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content...tended-Edition

Comment

Is it just me or was the Director's Cut of Crash just added?

Comment

Working...
                X