Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

"Angel" TV Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Angel" TV Series

I would like to point out that the show "Angel" contains edits and missing video from certain episodes. There is a scene missing from the season 2 episode "Over The Rainbow" it is the opening bar scene in the show that has been mysteriously cut out. I believe this happened by mistake because the "Previously On Angel" recap segment that preceded it was also cut out. For some reason all season 2, 3 and 4 episodes have those "Previously On Angel" recap segments edited out of the shows for no reason, but seasons 1 and 5 do not.

Those recaps are a part of the show and they serve to refresh the audiences memory of important events going on throughout the series, they must be included for all episodes that are supposed to have them. I don't understand the inconsistencies of leaving them for certain seasons and removing them from others. And the opening scene being gone from an episode is unbelievably unacceptable on a pay service.

So the bottom line is the middle 3 seasons contain missing segments of video and only the first and final seasons are actually complete. Vudu needs to contact the studio and have them send over new files for all season 2, 3, and 4 episodes that actually contain the complete versions of the episodes. I had thought about purchasing but after finding out about these edits I have changed my mind.

There should not be any segments of video edited out of any shows by studio mistakes. This isn't syndication TV this is a paid service and customers deserve better than this. I now find myself wondering what other shows may have similar edits. Anyone who cares about this show or cares about making sure they get the complete version of all videos they buy please contact Vudu support and help complain about this issue. The more negative feedback they get the more likely they will take action to resolve this particular issue, and prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future with other shows.

Thanks.

Re: "Angel" TV Series

I registered just so I can provide an answer to this, as I am sorry to say the issue you have presented (in great detail) is not unique at all to VUDU.

Regardless of which streaming / download service you use to view "ANGEL", be it PlayStation Network, Netflix, iTunes...they all have the exact same video masters for this series from seasons 2 to 5:

DVD masters.

The North American (Region 1) DVD releases of "ANGEL" (and "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") were released as both series were currently airing on TV. In the case of "ANGEL" the DVD releases for the show hit stores beginning in February 2003 and concluded in early 2005 with the fifth season DVD.

Seasons 2, 3 and 4 on DVD did not include any of the "Previously on Angel" segments, just as the Buffy DVDs did not.

For reasons unknown, season 5 did include them - though there were very few actually made for that final season.

Season 1 is the one anomaly: On DVD (in all countries) it is presented in its original 4:3 aspect ratio and the "Previously On" recaps are cut off. However if you view the series in any streaming format or iTunes, that same first season preserves the recaps and presents the show in the modified 16:9 aspect ratio. This modified season 1 has never been released on DVD anywhere since it appeared in those streaming outlets.

The only way to see the "Previously On" recaps for "ANGEL" seasons 2 to 4 is to see the show on DVD from the UK. The Region 2 DVD releases preserved them. Since all of these streaming services used the North American DVD masters, those recaps and in some cases entire scenes, are lost to time, with many fans never knowing of their existence unless they were like ourselves - having watched the show as it was originally broadcast from 1999 to 2004.

Oddly enough, Buffy is actually reversed: iTunes presents Buffy in the modified 16:9 from seasons 4 to 7 with the "Previously On" recaps intact - just like the UK DVD releases.

I know my reply is a bit long-winded, but there it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELUS View Post
      I registered just so I can provide an answer to this, as I am sorry to say the issue you have presented (in great detail) is not unique at all to VUDU.

Regardless of which streaming / download service you use to view "ANGEL", be it PlayStation Network, Netflix, iTunes...they all have the exact same video masters for this series from seasons 2 to 5:

DVD masters.

The North American (Region 1) DVD releases of "ANGEL" (and "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") were released as both series were currently airing on TV. In the case of "ANGEL" the DVD releases for the show hit stores beginning in February 2003 and concluded in early 2005 with the fifth season DVD.

Seasons 2, 3 and 4 on DVD did not include any of the "Previously on Angel" segments, just as the Buffy DVDs did not.

For reasons unknown, season 5 did include them - though there were very few actually made for that final season.

Season 1 is the one anomaly: On DVD (in all countries) it is presented in its original 4:3 aspect ratio and the "Previously On" recaps are cut off. However if you view the series in any streaming format or iTunes, that same first season preserves the recaps and presents the show in the modified 16:9 aspect ratio. This modified season 1 has never been released on DVD anywhere since it appeared in those streaming outlets.

The only way to see the "Previously On" recaps for "ANGEL" seasons 2 to 4 is to see the show on DVD from the UK. The Region 2 DVD releases preserved them. Since all of these streaming services used the North American DVD masters, those recaps and in some cases entire scenes, are lost to time, with many fans never knowing of their existence unless they were like ourselves - having watched the show as it was originally broadcast from 1999 to 2004.

Oddly enough, Buffy is actually reversed: iTunes presents Buffy in the modified 16:9 from seasons 4 to 7 with the "Previously On" recaps intact - just like the UK DVD releases.

Thank you very much for your very detailed reply to my original post, and for registering just to provide this info, that was definitely a very kind thing to do. I very much appreciate you doing all of that, however in your very nice well thought out response you did not tell me anything I did not already know unfortunately. I am fully aware of the edits contained in the DVD releases for Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and how they appear on the different Region DVD releases. I'm a very big Buffy and Angel fan which is why I've seen all copies of these shows in their different releases and I'm extremely unhappy with the poor effort put forth by the studio each time they have been released.

I am also very much aware that this is not a problem specific to Vudu's service, I've noticed that Angel has these very same edits on Netflix and Amazon streaming sites as well. I was not singling out Vudu for the edited copy or blaming them in any way for this, even though it may have sounded like I was. If so I apologize because this is clearly not a Vudu created problem and they are not responsible for the edits. I have complained about this to Vudu customer service and have also done the same thing with Netflix customer service and also Amazon customer service. My intention is to get all of these streaming services to contact the studio simultaneously and complain about the bad copy of Angel licensed to them, in order to put pressure onto the studio to release new copies of the show for all streamers of the show they sold it to.

I find it extremely unacceptable to have a show like Angel put out in this poor condition where the three middle seasons contain a ton of video edits because of the recaps being removed for absolutely no reason, and then to also have an entire scene from an episode missing as well. It was a complete and total failure by the studio to release copies of these seasons on DVD like this in Region 1 in the first place, and the studio chose not to correct these errors in later re-releases, but instead to compound that mistake by lazily deciding to keep using the same defective versions of the episodes for later DVD releases and then for streaming copies as well, instead of fixing the problem by going back to the original source material and providing the complete versions of the episodes. They probably did this just to save money and time, which shows me the total lack of care and respect that the studio has for the show itself and the people who created it, as well as the streamers they license the show to and the consumers who subscribe to those services that purchase the shows to view or own.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a prime example that this problem is very much fixable if the studio will make the effort to do so. That show had the same edits of the recaps being cut out and also had a scene missing from the season 7 set on the Region 1 DVD's. But when the show was released for streaming the studio chose not to use the DVD copies that had the edits, they went back and used better source material to release the full versions of the episodes. Both Angel and Buffy are both released by 20th Century Fox, if they can correct the copies of Buffy it means that they can certainly do the same for Angel. The original complete full source material is sitting on a shelf somewhere in that studio building, and all Fox needs to do is transfer them to make new digital copies to replace the current ones that have missing video. That is my intention when I talk about and report this show, the original DVD releases obviously cannot be corrected, but streaming copies can be taken down and replaced a lot easier, faster and cheaper than physical copies.

So I'm hoping to bring awareness of this problem to all fans of the show and to the main streaming providers because the more complaints that get sent in to Fox the more likely this issue will be fixed, so I ask anyone else who is a fan of this show to please help out by doing the exact same thing. Please contact Vudu and report that you are unhappy about this, you can also contact Amazon or Netflix and do the same, or if you have the time and energy please contact all three. I think it's time to hold studios to a higher standard in this day and age when it comes to digital video rentals and purchases. Edits and mistakes can be corrected and must be corrected, not ignored. It is up to the studios to make these corrections and it is up to consumers like us to make them aware of the fact that we will not accept this and force them to take corrective action.

Comment

Originally posted by Emissary35 View Post
        They probably did this just to save money and time, which shows me the total lack of care and respect that the studio has for the show itself and the people who created it, as well as the streamers they license the show to and the consumers who subscribe to those services that purchase the shows to view or own.
        This always confused me. It had to take time, money, and effort to modify and butcher the broadcast masters for DVD release. Of course then it took no time, effort, or money to continually use them after that... but I find it bizarre that resources were expended in the first place with the primary result being unhappy fans of the two shows

Comment

Originally posted by qazzaq View Post
          This always confused me. It had to take time, money, and effort to modify and butcher the broadcast masters for DVD release. Of course then it took no time, effort, or money to continually use them after that... but I find it bizarre that resources were expended in the first place with the primary result being unhappy fans of the two shows
          Very good points, why take the time and effort to butcher the episodes in the first place with edits, it would have been much easier to just leave them alone and put out their complete full versions. Fox is just a horrible DVD production studio, they have made similar edits to the show "Firefly" where they not only cut out the recap segments but also the Intro at the beginning of a lot of the episodes that gave the audience details about the show. Fox likes to edit arbitrarily and with no explanation for why. Take a look at the remastered version of Buffy that Fox has redone to air on the Pivot cable channel, they've destroyed the show by trying to alter it to widescreen and changed the colors and lighting so bad that it doesn't even look like the same show. It's a damn shame these great shows couldn't have been produced by a better studio who actually cared about the product, like say Paramount who did an excellent job of releasing Star Trek series on DVD and Blu ray.

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELUS View Post

DVD masters.

1. Does VUDU also presents Buffy in the modified 16:9 from seasons 4 to 7 with the "Previously On" recaps intact - just like the UK DVD releases. ?

2. Is seasons 3 & 4 of "Angel" in letterbox widescreen or Anamorphic widescreen on the various VOD retailers?

3. Are recaps intact on the various VOD retailers for another popular FOX-produced genre show, "The X-Files"?

Comment

Originally posted by satam55 View Post
              1. Does VUDU also presents Buffy in the modified 16:9 from seasons 4 to 7 with the "Previously On" recaps intact - just like the UK DVD releases. ?

2. Is seasons 3 & 4 of "Angel" in letterbox widescreen or Anamorphic widescreen on the various VOD retailers?

3. Are recaps intact on the various VOD retailers for another popular FOX-produced genre show, "The X-Files"?

To your first question: Vudu does in fact present Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the modified 16:9 for all season 4 through 7 episodes you are correct. The "Previously On Buffy" recaps are included for all episodes. The UK DVD releases have those recaps edited out for season 2 only, but the Vudu copy does contain the season 2 recaps.

To your second question: All seasons of Angel 1 through 5 have every episode presented in anamorphic widescreen, NOT Letterboxed, thank heavens! This is the case on all streaming retailers I have checked including Amazon and Netflix.

To your third question: Other Fox shows do have recap edits on DVD but but not on streaming for the most part that I have seen. However the show "Firefly" on Vudu also has the Intros cut out at the beginning but not on Netflix or Amazon. It seems very inconsistent.

One added piece of information about Buffy, the first two episodes of season 6 "Bargaining Part 1" and "Bargaining Part 2" contain edits. It is not the full episodes it is the shortened syndication version of those episodes that has the two parter broken up into two videos when originally it is one double length 90 minute episode. There are missing scenes, shortened scenes, and missing lines on the Vudu version. However Amazon and Netflix also contain this same syndicated problem so it's not exclusive to Vudu. The bottom line is Buffy and Angel are not complete and both shows have missing content on streaming as well as DVD. Fox needs to use the masters for the full episodes for both shows to replace all streaming copies that have these edits. I'm doing my best to try to bring awareness to this issue but I'd appreciate any help from anyone here who cares about these shows. Please complain to Vudu and other streaming providers to get this fixed.

I've sent complaints to Vudu about the Buffy syndicated episode, the Angel recap edits and the missing scene and have yet to hear back, it is all still pending. When I complained about the Buffy episode I got a quick response that it's up to the content provider what version of episodes they hand over. I wrote back with details on all the missing scenes and lines that are cut and since then I've been waiting for a response. I take this as a good sign because usually quick responses means nothing is getting looked into, I hope Fox is going to fix this because I've complained to Netflix and Amazon which contain the very same problems all at once. So hopefully Fox is being contacted by all three streaming providers at the same time all complaining about edits in the same shows. Again, anyone who cares, please help out and complain and add your voice to this.

Comment

Thanks Emissary35 and ANGELUS for pointing out this issue. I've had the box set of the complete series of Buffy on my Amazon wishlist for a while, in addition to tracking it on eBay, but I don't think I want to buy physical media if the content is edited down. I'll stick to watching it on Netflix and/or buying it on a streaming service, where we at least have a chance of seeing it updated at some point in the future, and I'm going to contact Fox to tell them exactly that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                  Thanks Emissary35 and ANGELUS for pointing out this issue. I've had the box set of the complete series of Buffy on my Amazon wishlist for a while, in addition to tracking it on eBay, but I don't think I want to buy physical media if the content is edited down. I'll stick to watching it on Netflix and/or buying it on a streaming service, where we at least have a chance of seeing it updated at some point in the future, and I'm going to contact Fox to tell them exactly that, too.
                  I'm glad I could help you get this information, it really is a shame two great shows like Buffy and Angel have these problems because of lousy Fox studio edits. The thing that really ticks me off is the original releases came out in 2002 through 2004 for Buffy, and 2003 through 2005 for Angel. Since then Fox has released both shows in different packaging at least 4 different times. In none of those later releases did they make any attempt to correct their own mistakes and I don't think they ever will as far as DVD's go. Perhaps we can get them to at least replace the streaming copies. The more of us that complain the better chance we have, so I very much appreciate your time reading this thread and adding your voice to my concern.

Comment

Done, just used the "Contact Us" form at Fox Connect.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                      Done, just used the "Contact Us" form at Fox Connect.
                      Thank you MaxH so much for helping out with this.

Hopefully if enough of us complain it will force those big wig executives over at Fox Studios to pick up the phone and delegate to their employees that they need to create new complete copies of the show for digital distribution! I know getting this task done must be so hard for Fox, what with all the wandering they'll have to do through their large vault of film just to find the full episodes and re-digitize them from the complete masters. The Horrors!

There really is no good reason for them not to fix this, unless they are cheap, lazy, or just don't care, or perhaps all three! I hope we can have some positive effect, thanks to guys like you we have a chance. I guess we'll see what Fox is made of and if they take the time and effort to fix this. I have zero faith they'd do anything to reproduce the DVD's (at least not until a future new release in new packaging which they love to do) so the digital files is all I'm hoping for, and I'd be satisfied with correcting just that, for now at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X