Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

FULL SCREEN MOVIES ON VUDU (NO MORE ANNOYING LETTERBOX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FULL SCREEN MOVIES ON VUDU (NO MORE ANNOYING LETTERBOX)

Hi guys,

I just want to get a feel for how many VUDU subscribers want the option to watch their movies in FULL SCREEN instead of the Vudu standard of letterbox (with black boxes covering half the screen and miniaturizing the movie you paid 20 dollars for. HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz all broadcast their movies in full screen with nothing cut off, so what's Vudu's excuse?

I talked to the higher-ups at VUDU and this is the explanation I got:

VUDU refuses to offer a full screen option to it's customers. I access VUDU thru my Tivo Roamio now, but have used multiple other devices as well (my laptop, gaming console, etc). The VUDU movies always have the giant black bars covering half the screen and ruining the movie.

VUDU's excuse is that the movies they offer are being streamed "in the aspect ratio that was intended by the movie studios", which is frankly, ridiculous. They have the ability to offer the movies in full screen. Amazon and HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, etc) all stream their HD movies in Full Screen...so it's clearly not the studio's fault as VUDU claims. The fault is with VUDU's interface.

VUDU simply doesn't want to take the time/money needed to alter their service and allow users to watch movies in full screen. Everyone wants it...just google "how to watch VUDU movies in full screen" and you'll see hundreds of results...so VUDU knows what we want, they just don't want to put forth the time/money/effort to change their interface and allow us to watch their movies in full screen like the customers want because frankly, VUDU knows it can do whatever it wants...people will still buy the movies...so why waste money/resources to change the interface and allow full screen movies when customers will still pay for the version with the black bars covering half the screen? There's nothing in it for VUDU, so there's no incentive to fix it.

I'm sure when VUDU starts losing customers they will eventually add on an option to watch movies in full screen, but by the time that happens, another superior streaming service will probably come along and offer it.

All I know is, if VUDU continues to only offer their movies in tiny letter box format, with half the screen covered by black bars, it's only a matter of time before customers move on. VUDU should have fixed this problem yesterday. It's sad that they don't have the foresight to see how this will affect the future of the company. Oh well.

When you go to a movie theater, there aren't giant black bars on the screen...so if studios want to sell movies to VUDU and only offer them in miniaturized, letterbox format...then why would they allow all the premium channels (HBO, cinemax etc) and movie theaters to show movies in full screen?

VUDU, Please fix this ASAP, this has gone on long enough. I understand VUDU's defense that "we're just showing the movies how the studios intended"...that letterbox option could be the DEFAULT...but VUDU owes customers the option to watch the movie how THEY want to watch it, not how the studio wants them to watch it. We're the one's paying the money.

Please understand it's quite unfair to pay VUDU 19 dollars for a movie that is literally cut in half and miniaturized by the black bars.

Dear VUDU administrators/technicians, please come up with a solution for this or you will only lose more customers...and it's only a matter of time before your competitors start offering this option (amazon video and premium channels like HBO already show their movies in full screen). If you google this topic, you see that NO ONE prefers watching a movie with giant black bars blocking half the screen, and all of us want the option to watch the movies in full screen format. Please fix this ASAP, or VUDU customers will simply flock to another video rental provider who cares enough to listen to its customers.

Re: FULL SCREEN MOVIES ON VUDU (NO MORE ANNOYING LETTERBOX)

Originally posted by gville View Post

When you go to a movie theater, there aren't giant black bars on the screen.
    You're joking, right? When a movie starts, you really don't see the curtains adjust to the size of the movie that's playing? In your living room, you don't have the luxury of your 16:9 TV to adjust it's size accordingly and since a lot of movies are shot in 2.35:1 aspect ratio, guess what you get? That's right. Black bars on the top and bottom so you see the FULL shot of the movie. Services that show what you call "full screen" are really cutting off the picture on the sides so you're NOT seeing everything in the shot.

Comment

I really think this person is a troll, but if not, then he is really misinformed about what letter-boxing is for. In actuality, when you watch a movie in fullscreen, also known as pan & scan, part of the picture is being cut off. In fact, some movies have up to 35% of the picture cut off when it is formatted for full screen. He incorrectly states that a lot of customers want Full Screen movies. I find that to be ludicrous. Maybe that was true in the 90's, but nowadays I think most people have learned that Full Screen cuts out 20 to 35% of what was shown in the theater. In fact there are a lot of movies on vudu that are modified for 16x9 Televisions, which still cuts some of the picture off, and there are lots of people who want it restored to the original aspect ratio. We want letterbox!

If you want to find out why wider is better, check out my website, http://www.widescreenadvocate.org

Comment

I could not believe the absolute ignorance of the person who started this thread. This sounds like somebody back in 2001 complaining to the store they bought DVD's from "why are there black bars on my screen". Well it was understandable back then for a lot of people to not get widescreen. But in 2015 some people still don't get it? Full Screen, let me translate that for you. It's just a blown up, zoomed in copy of a video with the sides chopped off, the wider the movie the more that is chopped off. So you want all movies to fill your screen congratulations, and destroy the video in the process for everyone else that wants to see the full image. People like this are the reason for us getting lousy 16:9 pan & scan versions of films on premium movies channels on cable and on streaming services, because uneducated uninformed people cry about not getting their entire TV screen filled 100 percent of the time.

Maybe someday in the future TV sets will no longer be physical they will just be holographic displays so it can always adjust itself to the aspect ratio of the film you are watching while maintaining the size of the screen and not showing borders, but until then black bars will have to be expected. And just in case you are wondering, the black bars are not cutting off or covering any of the video like I've heard people complain about before, the black bars are there because there is no video above or below the picture, the same goes for side bars on 4:3 video. This guy probably wants to stretch and distort any real "full screen" 4:3 picture just to fill the 16:9 TV too.

Where have all the intelligent people gone??? I seriously hope Vudu does not take complaints like this seriously and continues to push for Original Aspect Ratio for every single movie and TV show it offers. And that includes unaltered original 4:3 copies of older shows that were shot that way, not butchering them to create a false widescreen image.

Comment

Originally posted by Emissary35 View Post
          This guy probably wants to stretch and distort any real "full screen" 4:3 picture just to fill the 16:9 TV too.
          What's worse is what they sometimes do to 4:3 to make it fit wide screen tvs. I was watching the Highlander series, and they had zoomed in the screen and cut off the top and bottom, including any wording that should be on the screen. Totally ruining the watching experience. I have to agree, leave things the way they were filmed. If you are unhappy with it not covering your screen, look in your options for zoom and stretch settings, leave those of us who want to watch the entire filmed picture able to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry8169 View Post
            What's worse is what they sometimes do to 4:3 to make it fit wide screen tvs. I was watching the Highlander series, and they had zoomed in the screen and cut off the top and bottom, including any wording that should be on the screen. Totally ruining the watching experience. I have to agree, leave things the way they were filmed. If you are unhappy with it not covering your screen, look in your options for zoom and stretch settings, leave those of us who want to watch the entire filmed picture able to do so.
            And to a lot of uneducated people out there you don't even realize that you are seeing less video than the original version because the top and bottom of the picture has been trimmed off, just to make it a rectangular shape to zoom in on! Some people actually think they are watching it in widescreen. I can't believe certain people are willing to accept less video information just to fill their display completely.

All I know is there should be some type of rule or law passed where original aspect ratio is preserved for all videos, this needs to become the absolute standard, and it should come with some type of OAR seal or stamp on it so the purchaser knows they are getting the true copy of the film or show. Any show that has had it's aspect ratio altered should have to come with a clear disclaimer telling consumers before they buy that "it has been modified from its original version" like the message VHS tapes used to have at the beginning of movies since it was a pan & scan version and they were required to tell us. We should know exactly what we are buying before we purchase a copy of anything that has been altered.

Comment

And to a lot of uneducated people out there you don't even realize that you are seeing less video than the original version because the top and bottom of the picture has been trimmed off, just to make it a rectangular shape to zoom in on! Some people actually think they are watching it in widescreen. I can't believe certain people are willing to accept less video information just to fill their display completely.

All I know is there should be some type of rule or law passed where original aspect ratio is preserved for all videos, this needs to become the absolute standard, and it should come with some type of OAR seal or stamp on it so the purchaser knows they are getting the true copy of the film or show. Any show that has had it's aspect ratio altered should have to come with a clear disclaimer telling consumers before they buy that "it has been modified from its original version" like the message VHS tapes used to have at the beginning of movies since it was a pan & scan version and they were required to tell us. We should know exactly what we are buying before we purchase a copy of anything that has been altered.
              I agree with all of it but that it should be law. We have too many laws as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by danglin709 View Post
                I agree with all of it but that it should be law. We have too many laws as it is.
                I only mention "law" because right now videos are very deceiving, you don't always know if you are getting the true aspect ratio, and streaming sites always have an excuse to fall back on "it's how the studio provided or intended it to be seen" which is not acceptable. Something has to be done to force them to hand over the real true copies of the videos. Right now how can that be enforced?

Comment

I only mention "law" because right now videos are very deceiving, you don't always know if you are getting the true aspect ratio, and streaming sites always have an excuse to fall back on "it's how the studio provided or intended it to be seen" which is not acceptable. Something has to be done to force them to hand over the real true copies of the videos. Right now how can that be enforced?
                  I think the only way would be thru educating the public.

Comment

Originally posted by danglin709 View Post
                    I think the only way would be thru educating the public.
                    You can't count on that, even the majority of the people out there who now want their screen filled would probably still argue for that even knowing part of the film is being cut off. The public is well educated about how harmful alcohol and cigarettes are for an example, and millions of people still drink and smoke. So in my opinion that will not work, streaming sites need to demand true copies from the studios and reject altered ones. Or try to please everyone and offer multiple aspect ratio versions for everything, original and cropped. In this digital age there really is no reason why more options and choices shouldn't be made available, and I'm not against anyone filling their screen if that is what they want, just as long as they are not preventing me from seeing the original ratio.

Comment

Working...
                    X