Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Chromecast Ultra with 4k / HDR / Dolby Vision support !!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromecast Ultra with 4k / HDR / Dolby Vision support !!

Google just announced a new 4k Chromecast !

They mentioned VUDU specifically so hopefully this device will bring HDR VUDU to alot of households!

Re: Chromecast Ultra with 4k / HDR / Dolby Vision support !!

Have you tried this yet? The only way for certain with out having to purchase a title just to "see if it works" is being able to do the 2 minute preview UHD to see if the Chromecast Ultra can in fact pass the DV.

Any of the Roku's will not pass the DV but they allow the viewing of the 2 minute preview in UHD.

The only capable devices I have for DV are my OLED TV and the Chromecast Ultra. Both of which will only do the SD previews. The VUDE app that works on both of these formats needs to be updated. IMO it is not a very good way to market if you are not allowing the devices that ACTUALLY support DV to ACTUALLY them to view previews in UHD DV.

I was only allowed to preview content through the Chromecast in SD and was not allowed to rent/buy or view options of renting/buying a movie through the google home app last night.

FWIW I could not cast Netflix in DV either through the Chromecast when trying to view Marco Polo. However when I selected my TV to cast Netflix it just opened up my TV app and it showed in DV.

Comment

I just received my Chromecast Ultra in the mail yesterday. I have not yet tried VUDU app with it, so I dont' know if Dolby Vision will work.

I can say that DV works with Netflix, so I'm very hopeful that it will also work with VUDU.

I'd really like to hear a statement from VUDU on this issue though. I'd be really angry if i spend the extra $$ to rent/buy UHD and not have it work on the Chromecast.

Maybe I can try it tonight and I will report back to this thread.

Comment

I could not cast Netflix in DV either through the Chromecast when trying to view Marco Polo. However when I selected my TV to cast Netflix it just opened up my TV app and it showed in DV.
        Yes, same for me. Netflix app for Android only showed HD until i actually connected the app to my Chromecast Ultra. Then I saw "HDR" for Marco Polo ( dolby vision ) and Ultra 4k for other titles such as Luke Cage.

I'm guessing that Luke Cage is using HDR10 , not Dolby Vision.

Comment

Originally posted by SinGA View Post
          Yes, same for me. Netflix app for Android only showed HD until i actually connected the app to my Chromecast Ultra. Then I saw "HDR" for Marco Polo ( dolby vision ) and Ultra 4k for other titles such as Luke Cage.

I'm guessing that Luke Cage is using HDR10 , not Dolby Vision.
          If you don't mind me asking how did you connect the app to the Ultra? This is the first google product I have owned so I didn't know if there is a setting or link to the CCU I was/am missing? I have individual apps on my iPhone for netfilx, hulu, and vudu I presume that the google home app is using these and not linking them to the CCU then?

I also have mine connected to my AVR to try and take advantage of audio greater than Dolby Digital. The apps on my TV will show in HDR10 and DV but I loose Atmos when I use my TV apps.

Comment

Inside the Netflix app, i clicked the little chromecast icon in the top. Then you will see the Netflix logo on your TV. After that, Netflix showed me the "HDR" and "Ultra 4k" icons for each show.

I have my Chromecast Ultra plugged into the back of my AVR as well. So far I only get Dolby Digital + audio. I haven't gotten Atmos to work yet, but I believe its because I dont have the proper speaker setup right now. I'm only 5.1.

Comment

Ok I'll give hat a try. I can't remember if I had the options to pick on my screen of if I used the app to pick the content. Interested in seeing if vudu will work since it offers atmos audio. I guess I'll keep trying. Should work though since yours is functioning correctly. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jayraysaiz View Post
                Ok I'll give hat a try. I can't remember if I had the options to pick on my screen of if I used the app to pick the content. Interested in seeing if vudu will work since it offers atmos audio. I guess I'll keep trying. Should work though since yours is functioning correctly. Thanks.
                You have to use the app on your phone to pick the content, it will then display on the TV.

But you do have to "pair" the app with the chromecast by clicking the little chromecast icon in the top of the app.

I haven't tested Atmos yet with VUDU. I suppose it might show as Dolby TrueHD for me on my AVR, since my speaker setup isn't "Atmos".

Comment

You have to use the app on your phone to pick the content, it will then display on the TV.

But you do have to "pair" the app with the chromecast by clicking the little chromecast icon in the top of the app.

I haven't tested Atmos yet with VUDU. I suppose it might show as Dolby TrueHD for me on my AVR, since my speaker setup isn't "Atmos".
                  Yeah that is what I am doing. I turn everything on open the app on my phone tap the cast button and the TV says ready to cast. I will then select a DV Netflix show with no indication of DV or 4KUHD in the Netflix app, and it will cast. However my TV will automatically change the picture settings to DV picture setting when it detects DV content. It does not do this with the Chromecast Ultra.

Once I use my TV to stream it will switch inputs and show in DV There is a difference in PQ as well.

I don't see the Video content options like I normally do with the TV app when I use the iPhone app.

I updated the stream to High in the playback options earlier today. I have an LG OLED so when the DV content is playing then the TV automatically indicates DV is playing at the top right of the screen.

My receiver is only has HDMI 2.0 inputs but from what I have read is you don't need to have an HDMI 2.0a input to send DV content.

I am wondering if there is a setting I am missing.

Comment

So Casting Vudu on the Chromecast Ultra did not pass the Dolby Vision content to my LG TV. Is this something that VUDU will issue in a revised app or even in talks with Google and LG to actually make this happen?

Comment

I have an LG OLED so when the DV content is playing then the TV automatically indicates DV is playing at the top right of the screen.
                      I have LG OLED as well.... B6....

When i play DV content, the tv says "HDR" in the top right hand corner.

IS that right? or does it say "Dolby Vision" or something?

Comment

So Casting Vudu on the Chromecast Ultra did not pass the Dolby Vision content to my LG TV. Is this something that VUDU will issue in a revised app or even in talks with Google and LG to actually make this happen?
                        It seems VUDU is totally silent right now about Chromecast Ultra support. This is disappointing since VUDU itself was mentioned in the Google release presentation for the Ultra.

VUDU, can you tell us what's going on with your Chromecast Ultra support???

Comment

It seems VUDU is totally silent right now about Chromecast Ultra support. This is disappointing since VUDU itself was mentioned in the Google release presentation for the Ultra.

VUDU, can you tell us what's going on with your Chromecast Ultra support???
                          The VUDU Chromecast app supports Dolby Vision.

But whether is is passed from the Chomecast, through specific receivers or into a specific model TV is up to the manufacturers of those devices to properly support. Unfortunately there can be various compatibility issues related to 4K (@60Hz etc), Dolby Vision, and HDCP 2.2 that can prevent it.

Of the TVs that we have tried it has been pretty inconsistent, unfortunately. We have been reporting issues found to manufacturers, but encourage you to do the same.

Comment

I have LG OLED as well.... B6....

When i play DV content, the tv says "HDR" in the top right hand corner.

IS that right? or does it say "Dolby Vision" or something?
                            There will be a "Dolby vision" label at the top right and your picture setting will automatically switch to "Dolby Vision"

There seems to be an issue with the LG tv as there are multiple people who have tried connecting directly to the TV with no dice. I am using a receiver as I have no need do an extra device since the tv app will do Dolby vision. I'm just trying to get atmos and DV at the same time. Right now I have to compromise either on the PQ or the audio.

I have an OLED B6P btw.

Comment

There will be a "Dolby vision" label at the top right and your picture setting will automatically switch to "Dolby Vision"

There seems to be an issue with the LG tv as there are multiple people who have tried connecting directly to the TV with no dice. I am using a receiver as I have no need do an extra device since the tv app will do Dolby vision. I'm just trying to get atmos and DV at the same time. Right now I have to compromise either on the PQ or the audio.

I have an OLED B6P btw.
                              According to Google, the Chromecast only supports Dolby Vision if the TV accepts 4k@60Hz 10 bit input, not 4K@30Hz. So you'd have to take that up with Google and/or LG...

Comment

Working...
                              X