Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Perfect home threater setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perfect home threater setup

I just picked up another component to my home theater project. A customer was getting rid of a B&H 2 channel amp that puts out 200 watts that will go to powering my front speakers and a Lexicon MC-12 receiver. best part= got it for FREEE!!!!

Comment

OK here's what I got:

Fujitsu 50" Plasmavision with AVM-II processor
      Arcam AVR-250
      Definitive StudioMonitor 350s for Front L&R Channels
      Definitive C2002 for Center Channel
      M&K CS-29 Column Surround Tri-Pole Rear L&R Channels
      XBOX 360
      PS3
      Vudu (arriving soon)
      Cablebox (gone!!)

Obviously the Fuji and the Arcam stand as the two top components. The Fuji is coming up on 3 years old, but it still beats out almost every TV on the market today in terms of natural colors, with a few exceptions. 720p still suiting me fine from an 8 1/2 foot distance, I'll probably upgrade in another 2 years.

The Arcam is better than either set of speakers, but the M&K's definitely outshine the front channels, which is ironic. I had to do that because they are the only thing which fits behind my couch. I don't believe they are made anymore, so if you've never seen them, check out this old review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-2-2004.html

The Deftech studios and center are fine. They are probably a lot better sounding if they were attached to a receiver that was not an Arcam, the Arcam is too good for these speakers, but then again I have a coffee table in between me and the TV and speakers, so the acoustics are probably not the best.

Comment

My home theater was enhanced by 1000W+ LFE shakers in each of my risers. This was simply a great upgrade and I highly recommend them.

thebuttkicker.com

In no particular order.
        1080p front projector with 119" diagonal screen.
        6 Berkline home theater recliners in 2 rows, risers of different levels
        LFE effects shakers with 2300W amp
        7.1 surround system
        various HD sources, Directv, HD DVD, blu-ray, Vudu

Comment

Re: A/V receiver with Vudu xl

Can someone discuss plugging Vudu via HDMI to a Sony STR DA3400ES and from there by HDMI to HD TV. Will the audio be split and sent to sound system? Will any SD content be upconverted or upscaled using the 3400's capabilities?

Thanks

Comment

Hi all,
            Took quite awhile to get our home theater just right but here is what we have. It was an absolute blast for a DIY project.

Mitsubishi 73" 1080p DLP HDTV
            Onkyo 605S Rcvr
            Tivo HD w/ 1Tb external HDD
            PS3 500g
            XBox 360 Elite
            Wii
            Tivo Series 2 with DVD player/burner
            Philips Upconvert DVD player
            Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD
            Surround speaker system: Polk RM6750B 7.1/dual subs
            RocketFish wireless for r/l surrounds
            Harmony 880
            Apple MacMini HTPC
            Vudu box.
            Movies: 300 Bluray
            25 HD-DVD
            1000 DVD
            50 LD
            Pics of our Home theater(before and after) can be viewed at
            http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...obiwopkenobi62
            Backyard Theater:
            Outdoor HT-Epson Moviemate 55 projector with built in DVD player.
            Insignia Blu-ray player
            Gemmy 12'x11.4' inflatable screen.
            HT pics-http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...ater%20photos/
            Last edited by obiwopkenobi62; 04-21-2009, 04:00 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by obiwopkenobi62 View Post
              Coming soon: Tivo HD series 3 DVR.
              You'll like that when you get it. I'm a ReplayTV convert to the TivoHD series. Love mine...

Comment

Just got the Tivo HD on Friday. Got it all hooked up. Cable guy coming this Friday to install the cable cards. So far so good. I've been using Tivo since 2000. My original box we used from 2000-2004 which we passed on to a friend when I bought the Pioneer Tivo with the built in DVD Player/burner. I still have that one and had a series 2 in the living room. When I bought the Tivo HD I asked that same friend if they wanted my series 2 w/dual tuner. They were still using the original one but it is in pretty bad shape. So they now have my old one again. Should last them awhile. My wife loves the fact that she can surf Youtube now. I may try Netflix but I know it won't be as good quality as Vudu.

Comment

Re: Perfect home theater setup

Hi all,
                  I since last post been using the new TivoHD unit and I added a 1Tb external HDD so now I can record almost 200 hours of HD or 1,444 hours of SD content. This new baby is awesome. It sure would be nice if Tivo and Vudu joined forces.

I also got rid of Dish Network. Took the 40 Gb HDD out of the PS3 and replaced it with a 500Gb, Putting all my CD's on there. Also got an X Box 360 which I'm loving.

Comment

Figured I'd update my picks for something I'd actually want to have/use (unlike the first go-round):

Wolf Cinema DCX-1500i
                    Screen Research Reference Xmask Screen
                    Lexicon BD-30
                    Kaleidescape 3U (2)
                    Kaleidescape 1080p Player (10)
                    VUDU XL2 (10)
                    DirecTV HDPC20 (10)
                    Tivo HDXL (10)
                    Meridian C61R (2)
                    Meridian HD621 (2)
                    PHC SCR3215sm (7)
                    PHC LFC-21sm (7)
                    PHC DPA-1002 (14)
                    Crestron PRO2
                    Crestron C2N-SPSW300
                    Crestron DM-MD16x16
                    Crestron DM-RMC100-F (10)
                    Crestron DVPHD (2)
                    Crestron DGE-2 (2)
                    Crestron ML-600 (2)
                    Crestron CNRFGWA
                    Crestron V-15 (2)
                    Crestron CEN-TRACK
                    Crestron PAC2
                    [any lighting modules & enclosures needed]
                    Nordost Silver Screen HDMI
                    Liberty custom interconnects
                    Richard Gray's Power Vault
                    Richard Gray's Powerhouse 3X (2)
                    Middle Atlantic racks
                    Cinematech custom seating

p.s. I win.

Comment

I'm finally looking to replace my old RPTV with a flat screen, and so I thought I'd revive this thread.

I've decided on plasma, because, call me crazy, I want the best picture possible from my display device. From what I've read, LCD (whether CCFL or LED) lags in quick motion, and DLP (which I know is not exactly flat, but are usually light enough to be wall- or bracket-mountable) is not as crisp.

I'm replacing a 57" TV and the viewing distance is 12-15', so I'm looking at the Samsung PN63s (PN63C550, PN63C7000 and PN63C8000) or Panasonic Viera (TC-P65S1, S2, or maybe a VT25 if I can find one on sale).

Any thoughts on those, or other TVs in that range that I should look at? I'd really like for it to be DLNA certified, or at least have close to the same networking/media capabilities. I went into this telling myself that 3D-ready is really not necessary, but now I'm thinking that if I'm going to keep this TV for 10+ years, I should consider paying the premium for that.

Comment

Max,

Modern LCDs have screen refresh rates of up to 240 Hz. You really don't see any motion lag with them. It's pretty rare - don't let that stop you from one.

Bottom line: get one that gives you the picture you like. In the last 7+ months now doing a lot of work with Ed (nded) in the AV market, I've seen a lot of TVs and learned a lot about what's out there. Ed prefers LCD sets, because of the sharpness of the picture. I prefer plasmas because of the slightly more natural image and what I think is better color depth. Still, I have a 50" plasma and a 42" LCD. Sometimes I think the images on the LCD jump out at me more than on the plasma. So I'm actually torn.

Regarding 3D, did you realize there's about 15 different standards out there? Not all of them will survive. So making the investment in a set now because you want the technology to be usable 10 years from now is not a sure thing. It's a nutty market and don't get Ed or I started on why we feel this is a joke and a marketing move by the TV companies to continue their business model now that the days of people buying flat screens in droves to replace their CRTs are over. Let's say you have a movie party and want to watch a 3D movie. Gee, do you have 10 pairs of glasses? OK, so your friends bring glasses. Oh crap! They have Panasonic setups and you have LG. Incompatible systems! Oh sorry. Can't use the 3D glasses. Or lets say you wish to lay down on the sofa while watching. Oh crap, you can't. The 3D glasses are typically designed for vertical sitting positions not prone ones.

If your TV has 3D capability, great, but don't let that be the reason you do or do not get a particular model.

Lastly, consider doing a distributed video system using something like the HD over IP system from JustAddPower. I've got one of these running now in my house and it's pretty slick and they are just about to come out with their second generation distribution system which from what I hear is nearly flawless in terms of video quality. Pretty cool to be able to put your Vudu and Tivos in a single room and then watch that content on any TV in the house.

Jon

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                        I'm finally looking to replace my old RPTV with a flat screen, and so I thought I'd revive this thread.

I've decided on plasma, because, call me crazy, I want the best picture possible from my display device. From what I've read, LCD (whether CCFL or LED) lags in quick motion, and DLP (which I know is not exactly flat, but are usually light enough to be wall- or bracket-mountable) is not as crisp.

I'm replacing a 57" TV and the viewing distance is 12-15', so I'm looking at the Samsung PN63s (PN63C550, PN63C7000 and PN63C8000) or Panasonic Viera (TC-P65S1, S2, or maybe a VT25 if I can find one on sale).

Any thoughts on those, or other TVs in that range that I should look at? I'd really like for it to be DLNA certified, or at least have close to the same networking/media capabilities. I went into this telling myself that 3D-ready is really not necessary, but now I'm thinking that if I'm going to keep this TV for 10+ years, I should consider paying the premium for that.

Comment

With plasmas, for absolute picture quality (now that the Pioneers are being discontinued) I think Panasonic and Samsung are good choices (some of the new LGs may be worth looking at as well).

Personally, I'd go with the one you feel gives the best picture and not worry about DLNA/networking, etc - the technology there will always be changing, so you are better off spending more on a great "monitor" that you can keep for a while, and then getting a networked BD player (you can get one with DLNA and all sorts of network apps, including Vudu, of course for under $200 now, or even less a year from now). Though I guess most of the nicer/full featured TVs do already have Internet apps these days anyway...

As far as 3D, I haven't been all that impressed with the "active shutter" 3D TVs I have seen. I was fairly impressed with a passive polarized TV I saw, but I don't know if any that are actually shipping in the US this year - and when they are, they will probably cost a bit more, since unlike active shutter they use a new panel design. On the flip side, from what I have read, I'm not sure the overall picture quality would be as good for non-3D content (with active it should be the same). As Jon said, 3D is pretty new and there are a bunch of implementations out there - so if you do get one you will definitely be an "early adopter"

Comment

Oh, yeah, I agree about 3D...I'm certainly not actively looking for it, but a lot of the TVs I'm looking at are "3D-ready", and it would be nice to try out one of the standards for a little while, even if it becomes obsolete.

I'll have to take another look at full-LED LCDs, which were my second choice after plasma. I really like the concept, although I've seen some complaints about blooming with them. It seems the cost might be a little higher than plasma for a comparable set, but I don't mind paying a little more for a more energy-efficient set.

Comment

I'll have to take another look at full-LED LCDs, which were my second choice after plasma. I really like the concept, although I've seen some complaints about blooming with them. It seems the cost might be a little higher than plasma for a comparable set, but I don't mind paying a little more for a more energy-efficient set.
                              Keep in mind that LED TVs are NOT LED panels. They are LCD TVs with LEDs providing the lighting instead of a bulb.

They are nice though for size, weight and efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                                Keep in mind that LED TVs are NOT LED panels. They are LCD TVs with LEDs providing the lighting instead of a bulb.

They are nice though for size, weight and efficiency.
                                Also, there are 2 types of those: edge-lit and back-lit. The edge-lit ones can be *really* thin, but the back-lit ones allow local dimming for better black levels. Though I think Samsung has one that is edge-lit with some sort of dimming as well...

Comment

Working...
                                X