Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

1080p output via component video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1080p output via component video

will vudu box output a 1080p signal from the component video outputs? if not, then what resolutions are supported by component video output?

I do not have HDMI input on my video projector but it does support 1080p....my current HD cable box will feed an HD 1080p signal via component.

Re: 1080p output via component video

Thanks for the question. The component video of the VUDU will only output 480p or 480i. Content licensing only allows higher resolution via the HDMI connection.

Comment

Originally posted by jshop View Post
      will vudu box output a 1080p signal from the component video outputs? if not, then what resolutions are supported by component video output?

I do not have HDMI input on my video projector but it does support 1080p....my current HD cable box will feed an HD 1080p signal via component.
      I've looked into this awhile back because I have an old DLP projector that also supports 1080p but only via component. I was looking for an HDMI to Component converter.

So I snooped around a little, because I'm bored ****less with nothing better to do, but also because I am interested in the topic.

Mostly no matter how hard I look, I pretty much find the same things similar to the following:

Component Video

(analog Y-Pr-Pb) - This connection is available on most HDTV's and decent or better DVD players and "Set Top Boxes". Notice the Red, Green and Blue color coded connectors. They do not mean "Red, Green and Blue" and are not compatible with RGB (VGA computer displays, etc). Component Video is capable of all high definition resolutions, depending on the source and display capabilities. Component video in its analog form is being phased out for copy protection issues in high definition source devices.
      *Component Video Cables

The Good:
      By taking advantage of human eyesights differing abilities to discern color detail and overall black/white detail, component video saves bandwidth and disk space without losing perceived detail.
      Can have excellent video quality if equipment and cables are of good quality.

The Bad:
      No Audio.
      Three connectors.
      RCA connections can be fairly easily accidently unplugged.
      RCA connectors which are very often used are not really possibly perfectly "75 ohm" connections.

The Ugly:
      No copy protection means that Hollywood is not into letting you use this for high definition video.

Ref: http://www.ramelectronics.net/howto-av.ep

and also stuff like this:

** It is not legal to make or sell HDCP capable DVI or HDMI to analog (VGA - Component) converters**

Ref: http://www.highdefforum.com/showthre...d=1#post102114-

But I have found devices that can hack the HDCP signal and convert it to component. But that would be taking a walk on the dark side, and you're on own to find one.

It really sucks, because I'm only able to use my projector with devices that output S-Video or Component.

It's all about the mirrors!!

Comment

Actually, the Red Green and Blue are for the each of the three primary projection colors: Red, Green and Blue...

And AppleTV will display HD resolutions over component. Now, I don't know if they are violating licensing agreements or not, but if it's legit for them, it should be legit for Vudu.

Comment

Apple TV is already violating the 24 hour viewing window...I wouldn't be surprised if they are violating the 480p on component also.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
            Apple TV is already violating the 24 hour viewing window...I wouldn't be surprised if they are violating the 480p on component also.
            But you see, you can't say that. My Comcast box outputs HD resolutions over component and I can watch HD movies on VOD from them.

So...it ain't just Apple. For the most part, Vudu is the odd player here in that their outputs follow that of DVD players (at least upconverting ones - not sure about BluRay).

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              But you see, you can't say that. My Comcast box outputs HD resolutions over component and I can watch HD movies on VOD from them.

So...it ain't just Apple. For the most part, Vudu is the odd player here in that their outputs follow that of DVD players (at least upconverting ones - not sure about BluRay).
              Well I thought about that too, because my Directv receiver outputs 1080 via component as well. But I don't have it set up or use it that way, so I'm sure that what is sent is really 1080 quality.

For example I can set my receiver to send everything to my TV via 1080i but I know for a fact that the 4:3 SD content from the Comedy Channel is not magically converted to HD even though my TV recognizes the output as 1080i.

So if you follow my meaning, the question is HD really being sent over component or simply something like 480 guised as 1080?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
                Well I thought about that too, because my Directv receiver outputs 1080 via component as well. But I don't have it set up or use it that way, so I'm sure that what is sent is really 1080 quality.

For example I can set my receiver to send everything to my TV via 1080i but I know for a fact that the 4:3 SD content from the Comedy Channel is not magically converted to HD even though my TV recognizes the output as 1080i.

So if you follow my meaning, the question is HD really being sent over component or simply something like 480 guised as 1080?
                Well, I know that my box from Comcast outputs 720p and 1080i because I can check it on the TV. Not sure what it outputs from non-SD channels - I think 480i. But HD channels are 720p and 1080i. So are HD VOD selections...

Comment

This has been brought up before and it's unfortunate that Vudu doesn't offer HD outputs over component. I guess, 360 and AppleTV might be exempt from HDCP restrictions because they are multi-function devices and not all of the video output from them is going to be DRM'ed HD video.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
                    This has been brought up before and it's unfortunate that Vudu doesn't offer HD outputs over component. I guess, 360 and AppleTV might be exempt from HDCP restrictions because they are multi-function devices and not all of the video output from them is going to be DRM'ed HD video.
                    And don't forget about DirecTV, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, Comcast and just about every other cable box.

Ohh, and then there is Blu-ray, which every player support 1080i, and now that I think of it so did HD DVD.

So that really only leaves Vudu, that doesn't support it, hmm makes me wonder if it has anything to do with HDCP at all. Ohh wait, HDCP is a DRM to protect HDMI, what does that have to do with movie content? Or are you saying that all Vudo content requires a protected output. That sounds like selectable output control to me. Where did I read about that? That's right, the MPAA wants to use it to also shut down the component ports of cable boxes, and so far the FCC hasn't let them use it. It's good to see that they've had some success deploying it somewhere.

I think I'll throw out my $2k Switched Digital 8x3 multiswitch and a thousand dollars worth of custom made (to perfect length) component cables so I can download movies with a Vudu -- or perhaps I'll just rent Blu-ray discs instead.

Comment

I threw out my thousands of dollars in cables when i went all digital a few years ago. My 20+ devices are all connected with HDMI(DVI for my PCs). No analog connections for me.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                        I threw out my thousands of dollars in cables when i went all digital a few years ago. My 20+ devices are all connected with HDMI(DVI for my PCs). No analog connections for me.
                        I wouldn't mind if there was an improvement like there was from VHS to DVD or tapes to CDs, but HDMI is all about DRM. If anything HDMI is worse. I've never once had handshake issues on component, it just works. Never once has a component cable fallen out of the back of my TV. Not to mention I can't make my own HDMI cables.

Right now the only two reason I can think of to use HDMI is Vudu and 1080p, both of which are artificial features and not a results of technical limitation of analog cables.

Comment

And what about those of us who jumped into HD back when component and DVI were the standards? I do have an HDMI-DVI adapter, but at the time I didn't even think I would use the DVI inputs. Personally, I'm also skeeved out by the industry's relentless push for DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by bjdraw View Post
                            I wouldn't mind if there was an improvement like there was from VHS to DVD or tapes to CDs, but HDMI is all about DRM. If anything HDMI is worse. I've never once had handshake issues on component, it just works. Never once has a component cable fallen out of the back of my TV. Not to mention I can't make my own HDMI cables.

Right now the only two reason I can think of to use HDMI is Vudu and 1080p, both of which are artificial features and not a results of technical limitation of analog cables.
                            I've never had an HDMI cable fall out. I've used dozens of HDMI cables over the last few years. If anything they are usually too tight and are a pain to remove them.
                            Fortunately I've rarely had any handshaking issues. High bitrate audio and 1080P video over one cable is definitely better than dealing with 3 component and one or more audio cables for every device.
                            Of course now most of my devices are networked so I do have another cable now in addition to the HDMI cable

Comment

The only reason I could think for restrictions on VUDU is that it's a designated device for movie playback and studios forced VUDU to go HDMI route. Obviously, TiVo, 360, and PS3 have other primary functionality and even AppleTV started out as music/photo/user video machine.

P.S. Does this mean you got your box back from Zatz, Ben? Just in time for 99 cent promo -- I'm surprised at how many good movies they have on that list.

~ Ivan Y.

Comment

Working...
                              X