Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Solution for intermittent framerate problems, PC, Windows 7 and 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solution for intermittent framerate problems, PC, Windows 7 and 8

Hello,

My name is Matthew, and this is my first time posting in the forum.

Two months ago I purchased a Bluray/DVD combo of Les Miserables even though I don't own a Bluray player. I was interested in the ultraviolet copy of the movie anyway because I'm one of those people who thinks physical media is on the outs permanently. I opened a Vudu account and used the codes to receive my first ever HDX copy of a movie.

Now, the computer I use for all my media is a quad core AMD with ATI graphics, and I alternately use either Windows Media Center or XBMC Media Center to aggregate all of my media and streaming services. The problem I was having with all HD content on Vudu was this: Whether it was streaming HDX or the downloaded copy, intermittently the frame rate of the video would bottom out, then it would recover and start to play normally.

This problem was a deal breaker for me, and more importantly I couldn't understand why the video wouldn't play properly. This PC plays all sorts of media without a hitch as well as numerous Steam games in 1280x720 or better. It didn't make any sense. Then this morning it suddenly dawned on me. The framerate drops were about a minute apart, which is exactly the length of time that the PC takes to change the Desktop background.

Windows 7 and 8 have a feature where you can have the backgrounds change and different rates, say one minute, two minutes or more. Once I turned that feature off, the HDX copy of Les Miserables plays perfectly! I searched this forum and found no reference to this issue so I thought I'd post it here now for others who might be having this problem. I can imagine that someone right now has this featured enabled, but has it set to change every 5 or 10 minutes and doesn't understand why the video "once in a while" goes to pot.

Vudu, after resolving this issue I've decided to go with this service as my Primary source of HD content. As much as I like extra features, I just don't like having all the physical media piled up on shelves anymore.

Again, thanks.

Re: Solution for intermittent framerate problems, PC, Windows 7 and 8

Originally posted by Mattumanu View Post
    It didn't make any sense. Then this morning it suddenly dawned on me. The framerate drops were about a minute apart, which is exactly the length of time that the PC takes to change the Desktop background.

Windows 7 and 8 have a feature where you can have the backgrounds change and different rates, say one minute, two minutes or more. Once I turned that feature off, the HDX copy of Les Miserables plays perfectly!
    Interesting find, thanks for the tip

The PC website & app use the Flash player / Adobe AIR to decode the movies - there must be some interaction between decoding/rendering a background image and Flash decoding/rendering video. Will be hard for us to do anything about that, but here's one tip: when playing video on a PC, right click on the track bar at the bottom of the video and select "Vudu Media Playback Info". This will show some debug info that can tell you some things like how many frames were dropped, the current frame rate, and whether the Flash player is using hardware for decoding the video or rendering it on screen.

Supposedly Flash 11.8 (not AIR runtime yet though, so this will apply to browser but not app for now) support hardware decoding on more platforms, so you might want to check if you have 10.8 / whether your PC is using HW decode/render.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post

Supposedly Flash 11.8 (not AIR runtime yet though, so this will apply to browser but not app for now) support hardware decoding on more platforms, so you might want to check if you have 10.8 / whether your PC is using HW decode/render.
      This is what I get, with the desktop background rotation turned off

Build 1.0(0) for Flash Player 10.1
      Flash Player version: WIN 11,7,700,202
      Hardware Video Decoding: No
      Hardware Video Rendering: No

Frame rate: 23.96 fps Dropped frames: 72
      Buffer length / time: 62.42 s / 0.10 s
      Memory usage: 45.46 MB

Stream state: paused

So it appears that I have 10.1. I'll go and get 10.8 right now.

Comment

This is what I get, with the desktop background rotation turned off

Build 1.0(0) for Flash Player 10.1
        Hardware Video Rendering: No

So it appears that I have 10.1. I'll go and get 10.8 right now.
        Oops, thare was a typo in my last reply - Flash 11.8 is the latest - according to that you have 11.7 (The "for Flash Player 10.1" above just means that's the minimum version it will work on). Still, upgrading to 11.8 is worth trying. Without either HW decoding or rendering (which is dependent on your video card & drivers) it may be hard to get a reliable framerate for HDX if your computer is doing anything else in the background...

Comment

Oops, thare was a typo in my last reply - Flash 11.8 is the latest - according to that you have 11.7 (The "for Flash Player 10.1" above just means that's the minimum version it will work on). Still, upgrading to 11.8 is worth trying. Without either HW decoding or rendering (which is dependent on your video card & drivers) it may be hard to get a reliable framerate for HDX if your computer is doing anything else in the background...
          Well, I went to get 11.8, but what I got was this.

Build 1.0(109641) for Flash Player 10.1
          Hardware Video Rendering: Yes (StageVideo)

Frame rate: 23.81 fps Dropped frames: 1
          Buffer length / time: 46.04 s / 0.10 s
          Memory usage: 219.98 MB

Stream state: playing

So I'm on 11.7, and when streaming I get Hardware rendering. I went to Adobe's official site and the only version of flash I could find was 11.7.

The above data is during a stream of HDX "Star Trek". Vudu to go gets nothing at all.

Comment

I went to Adobe's official site and the only version of flash I could find was 11.7.
            Oops, looks like I jumped the gun, 11.8 is still in beta:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html

We worked with Adobe to test HW decoding on more PCs in this release, though it's still not guaranteed depending on your PC graphics, etc. Also, I don't think this release supports HW decoding on the Mac yet. I'd imagine it's pretty stable but if you don't like using the bleeding edge you may want to wait until the official release

Comment

Oops, looks like I jumped the gun, 11.8 is still in beta:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html

We worked with Adobe to test HW decoding on more PCs in this release, though it's still not guaranteed depending on your PC graphics, etc. Also, I don't think this release supports HW decoding on the Mac yet. I'd imagine it's pretty stable but if you don't like using the bleeding edge you may want to wait until the official release
              I think I'll wait till it's out of Beta. What they need to do is update AIR so that it's utilizing Hardware. I'm a gamer so I have my drivers up to date.

Comment

Working...
              X