Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

What to buy next??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to buy next??

So, Im gonna have a good bit of Bbuy money after Christmas, but dont really know what to get.

Ive got a 50" 1080p plasma, so that's covered. Ive got an Onkyo 605, so I dont guess I need a rcvr upgrade. Ive got Polk floors, a sub and center which perform well in my living room, so Im set there. Have a vudu box for downloading movies.

Here's what Im considering:

Upgrade of Audio component if needed (maybe a new sub or center channel)
    Xbox 360 for light gaming and tv show/movie market place
    TivoHD for amazon unbox tv shows and OTA recording (really liking this idea)
    AppleTV for tv shows

Any input is greatly appreciated. First time in a while I dont know what to buy

No bluray player recommendations right now , if I buy one of those itll be awhile and a BD35.

Re: What to buy next??

Holding out on Blu-Ray? Too bad, I'm stocking up using DDD's 25% off sale that's going on right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
      Holding out on Blu-Ray? Too bad, I'm stocking up using DDD's 25% off sale that's going on right now.
      Oh no, I actually owned BR from Mar 2007 until I bought my Vudu box last month. I sold a BD30 and a ton of movies. I'm experimenting with the Vudu box, if I like it after 6 mo's Ill keep it as my only form of movie watching. If not, Ill buy a BD35.

Comment

I definitely recommend the TivoHD purchase. Keep in mind a lifetime sub adds another $400 to the price but worth it.

The other items I'd sorta recommend would be any of the Slingboxes (Pro-HD in particular). I wish I could recommend the SlingCatcher with 5 thumbs up but I'll give it 2.5 to 3 thumbs up. It's lacking a lot of what I think is needed to make it a more powerful media playback device.

Comment

Hmmm, never thought of the Sling.

The more I look, the more I like the Tivo. It gives me the unbox use I like so much and I dont have to go thru the crap of hooking my laptop up to the tv. Id prob switch over to Cox cable if I did that, but its not a biggie.

A TivoHD, wireless adapter and 500gig HDD are not too costly.

Comment

Originally posted by elwaylite View Post

The more I look, the more I like the Tivo. It gives me the unbox use I like so much and I dont have to go thru the crap of hooking my laptop up to the tv. Id prob switch over to Cox cable if I did that, but its not a biggie.

A TivoHD, wireless adapter and 500gig HDD are not too costly.
            You definitely want to get the 500 Gig MyDVRExpander drive for sure. I have hardwired e-net on mine.

I've been a die-hard ReplayTV fan for many years and always called Tivo the enemy. But Replay is RIP - well the IP is now owned by DirectTV but I ain't gonna stoop to Hodge's level and buy that phasma-orgasmic device he's always talking about.

So anyhow, I stumbled across a great deal on a new TivoHD last spring and bought it. While there are some things I do NOT like about it (no automatic commercial advance), it is a very nice box. PQ is quite good and Tivo is regularly updating the software and coming out with newer and better features. I'm thinking of buying another one in the next 6 months or so for the other TV.

They do try to make it do "everything" and you can do VOD with Amazon, CinemaNow (Disney titles only) and some other Indie VOD service that I forget the name of. You can view photos and stream music. You can use it as a media server. It does all these things "OK" - not terrific, not horribly, but OK. It's best at just recording and playing back TV. For that it excels.

Comment

Originally posted by elwaylite View Post
              If you want to watch TV while on the go or in another room in your house, the Slingboxes are wonderful. The ProHD will stream in HD if you have an uplink of about 1200 to 1500 kbps minimum. It's freaking amazing.

We also have a remote control file for the Vudu. It's not perfected yet, but it will work and works pretty well. I've not been able to get Sling to add an official remote yet.

Comment

Very sweet.

Comment

An SVS subwoofer.

I use one with seven polk speakers. It is a night and day difference from using a polk subwoofer. Especially when you watch a movie with alot of subsonic bass which the SVS can easily reproduce.

Comment

PB12 NSD is pretty appealing. I bet those rattle the walls.

Comment

Jon, do the TiVoHDs do LAN streaming? Or is it like what I've heard about the other TiVo models, that the show has to transfer from one unit to the other before you can watch it? Even that would be acceptable, but if neither is possible, I'd miss "anywhere" viewing more than Automatic Commercial Advance.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                        Jon, do the TiVoHDs do LAN streaming? Or is it like what I've heard about the other TiVo models, that the show has to transfer from one unit to the other before you can watch it? Even that would be acceptable, but if neither is possible, I'd miss "anywhere" viewing more than Automatic Commercial Advance.
                        TiVos do unit to unit viewing. The "technical" term is Multi-Room Viewing or MRV. The viewing isn't "instant" like on the Replay but the wait is pretty short. I don't have multiple units and I've only played with playing things from the PC App (which appears to be a Tivo) but as I understand it, it actually starts a transfer of the show from one unit to another (kinda link loopback IVS on the Replays) unlike room to room on the Replays where you are simply streaming from one unit to another. You can start watching the show after 10 to 15 seconds so it's pretty quick. I've been told that the now obsolete Series 3 TiVos did MRV and TTG (TivoToGo - downloads) faster than the "HD" series but the HD units are still pretty fast.

In TiVo world, the NowPlaying list is akin to the ReplayGuide. Other TiVos or your PC based TivoDesktop (or other server software geekier than WiRNS (yeah - it's possible to be geekier)) appear in your NowPlaying list. You can then select the shows you want to watch.

TiVo also allows you to easily download shows to your PC and convert them to other formats which is nice for portability (VOD stuff is flagged and prohibited from transfer but you can hack the box to eliminate those from what I hear - have not done it).

Comment

I'd like to see a screenshot of something geekier than Wirns!

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                            I'd like to see a screenshot of something geekier than Wirns!
                            Well, the software is called pyTivo (http://pytivo.armooo.net/). It runs on Python. It's an open source project being worked on by several different people so there are different "forks" of the program all a little different yet similar. It works OK, but is certainly geeky to set up. Tivo's TivoDesktop software on the PC is a lot better for user friendliness and it will transcode just about any format if you buy the "enhanced" version for $25.00. The advantage of pyTivo is it does even more formats and runs on any platform (Win, Max, Linux, C64, TI-99/4A, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                              ....snip.....The advantage of pyTivo is it does even more formats and runs on any platform (Win, Max, Linux, C64, TI-99/4A, etc).
                              Where can I get the source on tape to load into my Coleco Adam?

Comment

Working...
                              X