Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Resolution of Component Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Resolution of Component Connection

Originally posted by RonV View Post
    Yes but Satellite and Cable programming providers are outside of the legislation. The focus of this legislation was for "Local Broadcast" providers only. One of my Chicago buddies just got his Comcast DVR updated to TiVo software. The installing tech made comment that some shows may not be recordable in the future. Its here and all its going to take is someone to flip a switch.
    Not being able to record programs is going to make people blow gaskets. I expect that is going to happen at some point and there will be an uproar. Congress should prohibit that as it is 100% against the fair use doctrine (as is most DRM). Just another reason to keep my trusty old Replays. However, if Commiecast is giving out TiVO DVRs here in Chicago, I might just have to get one...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
      However, if Commiecast is giving out TiVO DVRs here in Chicago, I might just have to get one...
      I'm curious how the Comcast DVR running Tivo software will actually compare to a Tivo box. My dad had a Comcast DVR that we replaced with a Tivo. I hated the box on a hardware level. The thing ran burning hot. The remote sucked. The responsiveness of the box was awful. It seemed a lot of that was hardware related.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
        I'm curious how the Comcast DVR running Tivo software will actually compare to a Tivo box. My dad had a Comcast DVR that we replaced with a Tivo. I hated the box on a hardware level. The thing ran burning hot. The remote sucked. The responsiveness of the box was awful. It seemed a lot of that was hardware related.
        I have the Motorola HD cable box which is basically the same as the DVR that Comcast has had, sans the hard drive. The power supply does run extremely hot. I'm surprised it hasn't failed...

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
          I won't know until I get back into the office after next week. The tech spent 4 hours at his house just to do the update. This was one of the first "field" update for the Chicago area. Before the upgrade the Comcast software was slow and cumbersome. He had to reboot a lot.

I can tell you that my TiVo on DirectTV is responsive and easy to use. Now if in your case the TiVo was driving the cable box though a IR emitter yes there was lag in Series 1 boxes. Series 2 and 3 boxes have a bit faster processor, more memory, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
            Now if in your case the TiVo was driving the cable box though a IR emitter yes there was lag in Series 1 boxes. Series 2 and 3 boxes have a bit faster processor, more memory, etc.
            I replaced my dad's Comcast DVR with a Tivo Series 3. I have 3 of them at my house too. They work great and I really like them, though you don't get any of the on demand features. That's where Vudu comes in.

Comment

Since in fact the Vudu box is 'hardwired' to provide only 480 resolution via component, it's plain FALSE ADVERTISING for Vudu to list 1080i as the component output under the box's specifications on their own website!

Where are the WWW police when you need them

Comment

Originally posted by kumasuki View Post
                Since in fact the Vudu box is 'hardwired' to provide only 480 resolution via component, it's plain FALSE ADVERTISING for Vudu to list 1080i as the component output under the box's specifications on their own website!

Where are the WWW police when you need them
                Where does it say that 1080i is an option over component, or that the Vudu is hardwired to limit resolution (not possible, AFAIK)? From the Product (VUDU Box) page:

Video Outputs
                HDMI v 1.1
                Component
                S-Video
                Composite

Video Resolution
                1080p/24
                1080i
                720p
                480p
                480i
                From this listing, did you also expect 1080p/24 over composite, or S-video? While I would normally assume that component is capable of 1080i, the restrictions we've seen on upscaling DVD players have proven that to be a dangerous assumption. I do think it should be more obvious to a potential customer that component is limited to 480p, but you didn't ask Vudu to clarify that on their web site in your post, you just slung poorly supported accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                  I do think it should be more obvious to a potential customer that component is limited to 480p.
                  The upconverting DVD players that I purchased were not obvious at time of purchase that component output was limited to 480p and that the only way to get upconversion to HD resolutions was to use HDMI...

Comment

Just wanted to throw my .02 in here to say that the 480p output over component looks VERY GOOD.

I know there are snobs out there who won't touch anything under 1080i, I myself get slightly annoyed watching non-HD versions of shows, and I pay the ridiculous extra fee to get NFL DirecTicket in HD. But I am plenty happy with the 480p picture from the VUDU, and I think most users would find it very very acceptable.

Sure, I'd prefer the 720p my TV can display over the component connection. Why? Because.... well, just because, right?

But seriously, most people will be just fine with it.

Comment

Perhaps, VUDU will have to start selling bundles with upcoming HD Fury 2 to appease all the non-HDMI users -- http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury2.shtm

Comment

Expensive converter....looks to be full featured and support CP....One has to wonder if they licensed the HDMI and reversed engineered it?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                          Where does it say that 1080i is an option over component, or that the Vudu is hardwired to limit resolution (not possible, AFAIK)? From the Product (VUDU Box) page:

On that webpage the two columns are presented side by side - leading me to read the information line by line (HDMI 1080p .... Component 1080i ....)
                          To the extent that the internal circuitry and integrated software limit the component output, I'd still say it's a hardwired limitation.

Comment

On that webpage the two columns are presented side by side - leading me to read the information line by line (HDMI 1080p .... Component 1080i ....)
                            It's funny, that occurred to me initially, too, so I tried to post the columns side-by-side to maintain their original appearance, but vBulletin wouldn't let me. But on what planet is S-Video capable of 720p, or composite 480p? And what about the rest of the "rows" that don't match up? They could change that header to "Video Resolutions" with an "S", though, that might help.

To the extent that the internal circuitry and integrated software limit the component output, I'd still say it's a hardwired limitation.
                            It sounds like you are confusing hardware and software. If it is a physical component, it is hardware. If it is electrical information, it is software. There is no way to limit component hardware (which is pretty much just cables and jacks, in this case) to a certain resolution. That is a software issue. I think you're saying it is what I would call locked down, meaning the SOFTWARE is set up so the user can't configure it in a certain way (in this case, to display 720p or 1080i).

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                              The upconverting DVD players that I purchased were not obvious at time of purchase that component output was limited to 480p and that the only way to get upconversion to HD resolutions was to use HDMI...
                              Actually, if I hadn't been following the controversy, hadn't known about the limitation beforehand, and had purchased one, I would have been upset. Then again, I probably would have spent waaaaay too much time on home theater forums finding out the specs. Oh wait...too late.

Comment

Max beat me to it but I'm going to chime in here as well - it's a big leap you are making to assume that the resolutions listed are for the particular outputs on the left side. That's not at all what it's saying as Max pointed out that no where on this planet does S-video provide 720p - I wish it did. Also, your conclusions could also be taken that HDMI is only capable of 1080p/24 which is just as silly.

I am 99.99% certain that the box is not hardware limited to 480p over component.

Comment

Working...
                                X