Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

New Android TV box hitting the US with native Vudu app. Why no app for Nexus Player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Android TV box hitting the US with native Vudu app. Why no app for Nexus Player?

So it looks like a fairly impressive specced android TV box is about to land in the US (some walmart sightings already), an it has a native Vudu app preinstalled.

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

With Vudu apps now available for the Shield TV, Sony Android TVs, and now the Mi Box, why isn't there just a standard Android TV version of Vudu still not available?

Re: New Android TV box hitting the US with native Vudu app. Why no app for Nexus Pla

Originally posted by Y2Bogus View Post
    So it looks like a fairly impressive specced android TV box is about to land in the US (some walmart sightings already), an it has a native Vudu app preinstalled.

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

With Vudu apps now available for the Shield TV, Sony Android TVs, and now the Mi Box, why isn't there just a standard Android TV version of Vudu still not available?
    The Nexus Player was discontinued last spring - it's probably just not worth it for Vudu to develop for a legacy product like that...

Comment

Re: New Android TV box hitting the US with native Vudu app. Why no app for Nexus Pla

Why not just release the generic android tv version on the play store? (I have been able to get the apk from someone with a Mi Box, and it runs flawlessly on NP.)

Comment

Regardless of the price whats the feature / performance difference of the Mi Vs Roku Premiere ?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
          Regardless of the price whats the feature / performance difference of the Mi Vs Roku Premiere ?
          The biggest difference is the UI. The mi box looks just like the nexus player on tv. Roku also has the hugest library of streaming apps. Mi box is android and has the advantage of more diverse apps like games and Kodi.

Comment

It would be nice if some of these stream boxes (Mi, Roku Ultra, Shield TV) would support Vudu 3D. That's one of the biggest things missing for me now that Vudu is on the Android TV boxes.

Comment

2 advantages Mi has over Roku:

1) Google Cast built in
              2) The remote can control volume

Comment

Does the Vudu app on this mibox support downloads?

Comment

Originally posted by ColiBreh1 View Post
                  Does the Vudu app on this mibox support downloads?
                  No, I only see options to watch content.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranston37 View Post
                    2 advantages Mi has over Roku:

1) Google Cast built in
                    2) The remote can control volume
                    If it functions similar to my Nvidia Shield TV the volume control only works in Stereo mode. For watching movies or TV's in 5.1 the volume is disabled. At least in my case I watch very little material in stereo so the volume control while it's nice to have is just more frustrating then anything when you go to use it.

Comment

If it functions similar to my Nvidia Shield TV the volume control only works in Stereo mode. For watching movies or TV's in 5.1 the volume is disabled. At least in my case I watch very little material in stereo so the volume control while it's nice to have is just more frustrating then anything when you go to use it.
                      Something sounds wrong there - I have a Shield and it's set up to control my receiver, which it does no matter the audio...

Comment

Originally posted by Cranston37 View Post
                        Something sounds wrong there - I have a Shield and it's set up to control my receiver, which it does no matter the audio...
                        Hmmm... sounds like mine is set-up to control the output of the shield. Since stereo can be dynamically encoded on the fly it works, while surround cant (really) be done that way it doesn't. There must be a setting to switch it to CEC control of the receiver instead. Otherwise my Yamaha might just have a problem with CEC and surround.

Comment

I just set up the Mi Box and I cannot get surround sound from the Vudu android tv app when watching HDX. All of the other streaming apps like netflix I can get DD+. The audio setting in android is set to automatically detect which sets it to HDMI passthrough. I can manually switch it to HDMI or PCM, but it changes nothing. No where in the Vudu app do I see a setting to change.

Does Vudu not stream properly on Android TV? Any suggestions?

Comment

Now that I own a Mi Box with Vudu and a Nexus Player (with Mi Box's vudu APK installed) I've played aroudn extensively with both of them.

Vudu functions seemingly the same on both boxes. When the streams start for some reason they start out all grainy and low quality, but a few seconds in they clear right up. Likewise, the HDX bar on the top right always starts at one bar, regardless of how good my connection is. Like before, it soon goes to 4 bars a few seconds in. This is a bit of an annoyance.

Like the person above me, I also notice complete lack of surround sound in the vudu app. I also noticed that the vudu app maximizes at 1080p on the 4k Mi Box.

Being the tinkerer that I am, (mostly Visual Basic, Java isn't my thing) I unpacked the apk file. I'l confess, much of the code was gibberish to me, but it looks to me like this isn't an actual app at all. It looks like the Android TV version of the Vudu app is a web wrapper with a custom video player that basically goes to vudu.com and plays your content from there, using only the features that are available on the vudu.com website for playback.

This, if true, would explain the maximum 1080p resolution, lack of surround, lack of 3D, etc.

In another thread one of the admins here said that a new android TV app is in the works. I know you guys aren't at liberty to discuss certain things with us, but I'm wondering is this "new" app going to be an actual full featured app? And is it true that the current app is just a web wrapper?

-Edit-

This would also explain why devices using the android app don't show up on your device list on vudu.com, as for all intents and purposes, you're streaming from the website.

Comment

@Y2Bogus, thanks for the info. I relieved to hear they are working on a legitimate app. I have to say I'm that I'm paying for HD or HDX streams and I expect that to come with surround sound. Feel like I'm not getting my money's worth using their app on Android TV. Wish I hung on to my Roku 3 a little longer until this was properly implemented on Android TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X