Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Switching to Comcast Ultra Business Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Switching to Comcast Ultra Business Service

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I'll consider that if I have any difficulties. Right now, everything is working fine so I'll just wait and see.

Comment

So everything "was" working fine. Then the other day my network started going down every 10 to 12 hours (I actually blamed it on my newly acquired refurbished Vudu. Sorry Jimmy!). It seems to be the router/switch side of the gateway because it appears to have Internet connectivity (they can access it and ping other sites remotely). However, even if I unplug all my devices from it and connect a single computer , it can't get an IP address. DHCP times out. Before I disconnected everything from it I couldn't even get any local traffic across it. When I reboot it, everything is fine for 10 to 12 hours.

They are coming out today to swap the modem/router. Hopefully that will take care of it. Remember my concern about having a single point of failure . Well here you go. This is the kind of thing I was afraid of. I really wish the router was separate from the modem to make things like this easier to pinpoint. Anyway, I'll probably take Jon's suggestion and use my own router and put it in the gateway's DMZ.

Comment

Let us know how it goes, Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
          I'll probably take Jon's suggestion and use my own router and put it in the gateway's DMZ.
          I tried this yesterday just to see how it would work as a solution. I bought a Linksys Business Series (RVS4000) router and put that on a static IP in the gateway's DMZ. The problem is that, going through that configuration my speed tests (measured on Vudu.com and dslreports.com) went from about 21/10 to about 12/5, which wouldn't be acceptable. I'll continue to look for the root cause. If it remains elusive I might put the Linksys router back in just to see if the behavior changes to possibly learn something from it.

Comment

The problem is that, going through that configuration my speed tests (measured on Vudu.com and dslreports.com) went from about 21/10 to about 12/5, which wouldn't be acceptable
            Yuck. That's not good. I don't have that problem with my setup...

Comment

Try a Dlink router. I've used a DGL4300 and DGL4500 the past few years. They have no problem getting 50mbs down/20mbs up from my FIOS connection concurrently, and internally I can easily hit 850mbs throughput since the router is gigabit and my ten Dlink switches are gigabit.

the DGL4500 router is connected to the FIOS router on a DMZ. When I had Comcast I had the DGL4300 and again had no problems hitting the Comcast 30mbs powerboost speeds back in Summer 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                Try a Dlink router. I've used a DGL4300 and DGL4500 the past few years. They have no problem getting 50mbs down/20mbs up from my FIOS connection concurrently, and internally I can easily hit 850mbs throughput since the router is gigabit and my ten Dlink switches are gigabit.

the DGL4500 router is connected to the FIOS router on a DMZ. When I had Comcast I had the DGL4300 and again had no problems hitting the Comcast 30mbs powerboost speeds back in Summer 2007.
                I just bought a D-Link router today. It's an EBR-2310 and it only cost like $50. I didn't want to invest a lot after spending $150 the other day on one that didn't work. I was able to get my full speed through it. If I can't find the troublesome device, I will give that a shot or buy one of the better models. I am down to 3 possible devices (the Vudu in our master bedroom, a Tivo Series 3 in the master bedroom or a wireless access point) or one of 2 switches in between those devices and the router. When I disconnect that segment the network doesn't freeze up and it does freeze up if I disconnect any other segment so I'm pretty confident it's one of those. I should know in the next day or 2.

In playing around with the D-Link router I was impressed that it had a bunch of diagnostic stuff and logs that can show what the router is doing and what kinds of problems it encountered. It really made me even more convinced that the combo router/modem from Comcast is a POS. I can't believe that they wouldn't assume that businesses buying Internet service would want to use their own router.

Comment

Woo hoo! With a little luck, I finally figured out what the problem was. I decided to poke around at all of my devices I could BEFORE the network was due to go down. I found that my Netgear access point became unreachable from either the wireless side or the wired side about 30 minutes prior to when the router was going to crash. I rebooted it and the router didn't crash. I then changed my DHCP lease time to 30 minutes and found that I could crash my network in 45 minutes with that access point on the network and it wouldn't crash if it wasn't. I then gave that box a static IP address and it no longer crashses.

So it really was the case that the Netgear access point couldn't properly renew its lease with the router and must have continually tried until the router just crashed. Then, when I reboot the router, it must be able to get the IP address and fail the next time it renews. The reason it appeared to work for a couple of weeks must have been because I changed the lease time to 1 day and it didn't show up until the access point's previously obtained longer lease expired. Had I not shortened the lease time to 1 day, I would have had this failure every couple of weeks and probably would have been more frustrated over the long term as diagnosing it would have been nearly impossible.

Anyway, none of this ever would have happened if Comcast didn't force me to use the POS router/modem combo. The funkiness with the way that router does DHCP caused me a few headaches initially with devices that just couldn't get addresses from it and then cost me a week of diagnostic hell trying to solve this problem. I'm now debating whether to get a static IP from Comcast and use my own router and using their box as just a modem, or perhaps upgrade to the 50/10 speed service which also uses a router/modem combo, but the router inside is supposedly made by Cisco. Thoughts?

Anyway, I slept well for the first time in a week last night. I didn't have to sleep with one eye open watching the network light on the Vudu in our bedroom to see if the network went down.

Comment

I'm now debating whether to get a static IP from Comcast and use my own router and using their box as just a modem, or perhaps upgrade to the 50/10 speed service which also uses a router/modem combo, but the router inside is supposedly made by Cisco. Thoughts?
                    Any chance you can pass this information to Comcast? Equipment should not be behaving this way. I have seen stock firmware have issues with DHCP services before and most of the time I can resolve it with 3rd party firmware which uses DNSmasq as their DHCP server/DNS cache. My original DLink 500 and 600 series routers had many issues with allocation of IP addresses from both cable and DSL services.

I too live with a flaky VSDL/Router issues and had to work around them. My 2wire gateway is also in a DMZPlus mode to send all my inbound traffic to my router before it hits my internal network. I didn't want AT&T to have access to any other devices except for their U-Verse receivers. Every time I reboot my internal router while it has a active lease the 2wire box forgets the DMZPlus node assignment. AT&T stated that they don't support my configuration but funny its fully documented in the 2wire manual.

Comment

Having a fixed IP from Comcast wouldn't really solve the problem. You'd still have their modem/router combo to deal with. I have 5 IPs from them and the modem has one IP, and then I pass everything else to my Buffalo which is running 2 IPs (yeah, I have a couple unused ones).

I've seen funky DHCP issues with Netgear routers. We have a Netgear router at work and besides intermittently crashing, I've seen it not give some brand new machines a DHCP address. It got so bad that I ended up making our Windows SBS machine the DHCP server instead of the router...And I've got a remote control power strip on the dang thing forcing a reboot daily...

Comment

Maybe I just got spoiled with my PePLink router. With > 50 devices I never had one DHCP issue. Also, it performed flawlessly, load balancing over the 3 connections and handled all my traffice with ease. Of course that was a $500 router when I bought it. Anyway, I've decided to make it my policy that I will give any device that I need to know the IP for admin purposes a static IP address. This would have probably been easier than figuring out the assigned addresses and remembering them anyway. Had I been doing that, I wouldn't have had any problem either.

Comment

Maybe I just got spoiled with my PePLink router. With > 50 devices I never had one DHCP issue. Also, it performed flawlessly, load balancing over the 3 connections and handled all my traffice with ease. Of course that was a $500 router when I bought it. Anyway, I've decided to make it my policy that I will give any device that I need to know the IP for admin purposes a static IP address. This would have probably been easier than figuring out the assigned addresses and remembering them anyway. Had I been doing that, I wouldn't have had any problem either.
                          I live by fixed IPs on my network. I have the address pools broken down as such:

192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.09 - Router, Access Points and other network devices

192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.30 - Computers, NAS, etc.

192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.59 - Audio

192.168.1.60 to 192.168.1.80 - Video

192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 - DHCP for laptops, etc.

Things have gotten a little murky as my Tivos now fall on .48 and .49 and my Apple Time Capsule is on .254.

Still I generally know where my devices lie based on IP range...

Comment

I don't like using IP addresses similar to defaults. For the past twelve years my IP addresses have been 221.214.xx.xxx. That way they are nowhere near the default IP addresses.
                            And with over 40 devices on my Dlink router they never have any problems. Only $150 dollars and I can easily hit 850mbs throughput on my internal network and can concurrently hit 50mbs down and 20mbs up on my Internet connection.

My only complaint with my newer router, the Dlink DGL4500, is that it can only have 24 DHCP reservations. I don't like using static IP addresses in my devices. But with only 24 reservations I need to be selective with the IP address reservations.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                              I don't like using IP addresses similar to defaults. For the past twelve years my IP addresses have been 221.214.xx.xxx. That way they are nowhere near the default IP addresses
                              Yeah, but that means instead of using reserved private IP space, you're using a block of real IP addresses assigned to an ISP in China... so when you see a reference to "221.214.X.X" in your logs... is that coming from your laptop or a Chinese hacker?

> whois 221.214.255.255
                              [Querying whois.apnic.net]
                              [whois.apnic.net]
                              % [whois.apnic.net node-2]
                              % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 221.214.0.0 - 221.215.255.255
                              netname: CNCGROUP-SD
                              descr: CNCGROUP Shandong province network
                              descr: China Network Communications Group Corporation
                              descr: No.156,Fu-Xing-Men-Nei Street,
                              descr: Beijing 100031

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                                Yeah, but that means instead of using reserved private IP space, you're using a block of real IP addresses assigned to an ISP in China... so when you see a reference to "221.214.X.X" in your logs... is that coming from your laptop or a Chinese hacker?

> whois 221.214.255.255
                                [Querying whois.apnic.net]
                                [whois.apnic.net]
                                % [whois.apnic.net node-2]
                                % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 221.214.0.0 - 221.215.255.255
                                netname: CNCGROUP-SD
                                descr: CNCGROUP Shandong province network
                                descr: China Network Communications Group Corporation
                                descr: No.156,Fu-Xing-Men-Nei Street,
                                descr: Beijing 100031
                                I think the logs distinguish between internal ip addresses and external? Plus I've been using those internal addresses for around 12 years now, so I don't have a problem remembering them.

Comment

Working...
                                X