Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Basic Wireless Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Wireless Setup

Hello Vuduers. I am ordering a Vudu box and want to make sure that I have my wireless set up and ready to go when it arrives (or shortly thereafter).

Currently I have an older Belkin B/G wireless router but am looking for an excuse to upgrade to N-Wireless so plan to do that. The current top contender is the DLink DIR-655.

A few questions:

1. If I upgrade to Draft-N Wireless (my laptop is compatible) are there any wireless adaptors that work on Draft-N? If so, can anyone point me to one at a good price?

2. Is having an N-adaptor (if one exists) useful? In other words, will my Vudu experience improve if I have an N-Wireless adaptor?

3. Other than the adaptor referenced above, is there any other kind of device that I can use with my Vudu (including a second wireless router) which will get Vudu on my wi-fi @ home?

I would like the above setup to be reasonably secure so compatibility with a good secure format (i.e. WPA) is a must.

Currently, reception in my HT room is "low" for my wireless, which is what's inspiring the upgrade (I have read comments which suggest that even the B/G Wireless range of networks is improved with newer routers, including N-compatible routers).

I want Vudu to work flawlessly and so want to "buy smart."

Any suggestions (including specific brands/products) are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Basic Wireless Setup

No right now it is a waste of money.. The only benefit you might get is if your router is more powerful and your receiving end is better. As for speed my guess is a B network of 11mbps is more bandwidth than your internet connection. So if you have a 2mbps internet connection it wont matter if your router can only push 11mbps or 54mbps or 100mbps since you will never be able to push more than your internet connections 2mbps. But if you send files over your network then a faster network will help other than that nope..

Check out my post about the wi-fi bridge. The router I have listed is very good and is very quick. (you can use it as just a normal router with DDWRT I have 2 of them working as that and they work great)

As for range.. I have used an N router for a while and it just died.. It gives no better range indoors than my b/g routers... B will give the longest range of all standards, G reduces range and increases speed, N is supposed to give the best of B and G but so far I see no benefit in my testing. I still think the best bet is a WRT54GL running 3rd party firmware. Basically inside you have walls and other junk which is the limiting factor on range, outside sure an N router will go longer than an older b/g but it wont go as far as my $50 WRT54G running 3rd party firmware since I can boost the power from stock 24mw to an ideal 84mw up to 250mw (unstable since unit gets hot, 84 is the magic number)

Comment

Another option that you might want to consider is a powerline adapter. They work really well and usually have less issues than setting up wireless (especially if you already have reception problems in your living room).

But there is a chance that a power line adapter won't work at all for you (we have seen that once or twice when we tested them). So make sure that you buy it at a place where you can return it if it doesn't work...

Hagen.

Comment

I have purchased a Linksys GL router, and switched to Tomato firmware.

Are there online Wiki or other instructions about the 'ideal' settings for creating a bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Girardian View Post
          I have purchased a Linksys GL router, and switched to Tomato firmware.

Are there online Wiki or other instructions about the 'ideal' settings for creating a bridge?
          Using Tomato to create a wireless bridge is probably the easiest thing to do. I run 3 in my home in that configuration.

First you need to make sure your security is anything but WPA2. I suggest WPA/AES. Do a site survey on the router you want to run in bridge mode. Find the info for your root router. (Channel, SSID). You will also need your passphrase or key.

Now you go into the router you want to make into the client bridge. Under Basic/Network go to the wireless section and select "Wireless Bridge" Select the channel and enter your SSID and the security information. Make sure you save and withing a few second the router will be a bridge in your network. Tomato automatically turns on and off the other options as needed. Unlike DD-WRT where you have to manually turn off these services.

One caution. Bridge will only support 1 device even though the router has 4 ports. This is due to 802.11 limitations in bridge mode.

If you want to support more that one device the other option is to setup "Wireless Client" but this requires a more extensive configuration of the router.

Send me a private message if you need more info.

-Ron

Comment

For the benefit of others reviewing this thread in the future, I'd like to keep this alive as a public resource. If it gets too technical, I'll take it to PM.

I have performed the aforementioned steps, converting the router to a wireless bridge. When I connect the router to the Vudu box, I have connected the ethernet cable to each of the four ports, as well as the "internet" port, all without success -- repeatedly setup is stuck on Step 3 of 4 of the Vudu box set up.

Tests for "Connection within the home" fail. This prevents the Internet Connection test or the Connection to Vudu test from being performed.

When I elect the "Configure Manually" option, I am now uncertain what the new IP address is (after conversion to the router as a bridge), and am not certain why the tests fail.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Girardian View Post
              For the benefit of others reviewing this thread in the future, I'd like to keep this alive as a public resource. If it gets too technical, I'll take it to PM.

I have performed the aforementioned steps, converting the router to a wireless bridge. When I connect the router to the Vudu box, I have connected the ethernet cable to each of the four ports, as well as the "internet" port, all without success -- repeatedly setup is stuck on Step 3 of 4 of the Vudu box set up.

Tests for "Connection within the home" fail. This prevents the Internet Connection test or the Connection to Vudu test from being performed.

When I elect the "Configure Manually" option, I am now uncertain what the new IP address is (after conversion to the router as a bridge), and am not certain why the tests fail.

Any suggestions?
              Can you better describe your home network. I am assuming that you have one router connected to the internet and the one you just set up as a wireless bridge.

Internet -- > Router --> Wireless -----> Wireless Bridge --> Port 1 --> VUDU
              -----------------------> Port One
              -----------------------> Port Two
              -----------------------> Port Three
              -----------------------> Port Four

Also when you go into your bridged router did you notice if the bridge was connected? I am attaching a snapshot of a configured bridge so you can see what to look for. If you go into status/device list you will see this info.

Once you have confirmed that the bridge is connected attach a PC to one of the ports and see if you can connect to the internet. If the PC cannot connect then there is something else going on.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                ...Now you go into the router you want to make into the client bridge. Under Basic/Network go to the wireless section and select "Wireless Bridge" Select the channel and enter your SSID and the security information. Make sure you save and withing a few second the router will be a bridge in your network. Tomato automatically turns on and off the other options as needed. Unlike DD-WRT where you have to manually turn off these services.
                I did this. Previously, I was able to access the router and the Tomato admin tool under the router's default address -- 192.168.1.1 (default for Linksys routers).

As soon as I elected to set up the device as a "wireless bridge" and pressed 'save' I was no longer able to access the router.

I am guessing that because I was accessing the router via the admin tool with the default address for the device as a wireless router, that as soon as I set it up as a bridge this IP address was changed.

I have tried many IP addresses (and searched online for a default) without success. I simply cannot get back into the Tomato admin tool.

FWIW: I am using (temporarily) a Belkin wireless router in conjunction with the Linksys. The Belkin router (being replaced by another Linksys Wireless G) is a Wireless -B router.

Comment

I sent you two PM's this morning...

Comment

I am now up and running. I will post a follow up thread on how I got my basic wireless set up running and a few tips and tricks.

Kudos to RonV as well as the toll free Vudu support team who took me through the last (frustrating) mile.

To be clear, the challenge here was not in setting up Vudu, but in getting the router converted with third party firmware to a wireless bridge. Once this was done, the box worked out perfectly!

Comment

Glad to hear you got it working. Wireless is not ubiquitous yet. That is why we run into all these type of issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X