Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

DSL bandwidth less than 4.0Mbps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSL bandwidth less than 4.0Mbps

Hi - My new Vudu box is hooked up and working. I gave it a static IP and it's connected via wired fast ethernet to a Linksys router and a Cavalier Telephone DSL modem. My bandwidth is, as usual, c. 3.8Mbps.

I was hoping that my bandwidth would improve when I moved the router and DSL modem down from the attic into the basement, adjacent to the telephone service. By removing a lot of in-house phone wire, I thought, I might get better performance -- no such luck. The wiring in the basement is still pretty messy, though - lots of old phone wire still connected to who-knows-where.

Any suggestions on improving ADSL peformance? My service is nominally 8Mbps.

Also - is it possible for "DSL" to be searchable on these forums?

Phillip

Re: DSL bandwidth less than 4.0Mbps

Originally posted by philliph View Post
    Hi - My new Vudu box is hooked up and working. I gave it a static IP and it's connected via wired fast ethernet to a Linksys router and a Cavalier Telephone DSL modem. My bandwidth is, as usual, c. 3.8Mbps.
    If your box is set to "Instant HD" at 4mbps and your seeing speeds around 4mbps, then your getting the bandwidth your supposed to. While you might see peaks of 5mbps, the average is around 4mbps. This limit has been imposed by VUDU, so it doesn't really matter if your DSL was 20mbps, you will still only be able to get around 4-5mbps with your VUDU box, due to the imposed limitations which have been discussed at length on this forum before.

I was hoping that my bandwidth would improve when I moved the router and DSL modem down from the attic into the basement, adjacent to the telephone service. By removing a lot of in-house phone wire, I thought, I might get better performance -- no such luck. The wiring in the basement is still pretty messy, though - lots of old phone wire still connected to who-knows-where.

While the factors that affect your DSL performance within your home are numerous, and the bad wiring within the home can make some difference in the amount of noise within the line, your biggest factor will be the distance from your telco or CO to your home. The farther the distance, the worse your bandwidth will be. Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do. If you have already moved your DSL to the telephone service box coming into your home, then more than likely it is a loss of signal issue, due to distance, and not your home wiring that is the main factor. Having said that, there is more than one option for Internet service(s)...from Cable Companies, to Satellite providers, to wireless services like clearwire.com, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if noise is the issue on the telephone side of the line and there is enough of it, they are required by FCC regulations to fix it. So I'd have the phone company do a line test, if they are actually telling you...you can get 8mbps, but your only able to achieve 4mbps.

Comment

rstone is correct 100%. I had DSL for a long time and had nothing but problems.

Moving the modem closer doesn't really help. Just by hooking the modem up to to circuit, it adds 2000 feet to the loop. Yep - it does. Trust me on that one - I've done more open and closed loop tests than I care to talk about. So if you have 100 feet of wiring in your home, it won't make any difference!

You can still enjoy a pretty good experience with your circuit. You'll get instant SD and you'll probably need to wait about 20 to 30 minutes to watch HD content. Not bad...

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I guess I'll try to get the phone company test the bandwidth outside the house to see if that matches what I'm getting inside.

I wish Verizon FIOS was available in my area -- sounds pretty good!

Regards, Phillip

Comment

Well, you should really just do an open loop test with them. That will tell you how far you are from the CO. If you are over 2000 feet from the CO, you'll definitely get less than 8 Mb/sec. Over 6000 feet and you'll probably be in the range you are at. My guess is that you are around 10,000 feet from the CO.

Comment

Depending on the type of DSL mode you have you might be able to read its Transreceiver Stats. Most DSL modems have a Web interface with a page that details the transreceiver information. If available, you should connect your mode to the test port of your NID (Network Interface Device). A NID is a little box with a test phone port which should be where the phone line comes into the house. See how your transreceiver numbers compare with the reference numbers shown towards the end of the page in the link below. This way you can tell if your modem can handle higher speeds. (Btw, this link is for a Westell modem from AT&T... but the info is applicable to other modems and telcos.... I have a 6100 with Verizon) Comparing the transreceiver stats reading from the NID to the readings from the phone port inside the house can tell you if internal wiring is your problem. I recommend you read and ask questions in the dslreports forum in threads for your specific telco and DSL modem .

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7036

Comment

Thanks very much for the recommendation about DSLreports forum -- I'll check it out,

PH

Comment

So far as I can see, no forum areas for Cavalier Telelphone on DSLreports ...

Comment

So far as I can see, no forum areas for Cavalier Telelphone on DSLreports ...
                  I never heard of Cavalier Telephone... Where are you located?

Below is a link I found after I searched DSLReports

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cover,961~days=9999

Comment

Thanks for helping me find that! ... although those comment are pretty scary. I am in Cleveland OH. Cavtel support is pretty basic for DSL customers. I have found the reliability not equal to AT&T. Maybe I should shop around again.

I was reading about Tomato for Linksys last night - when the box is busy, other internet tasks become very slow, so I think I'm going to need QOS control. I never realized that getting a Vudu could be the start of a new hobby ...

Comment

Tomato is great firmware. I have a few routers running the code and I can't complain. It does QOS just fine and also now supports Vegas congestion control. Let us know how it works out....

Thanks for helping me find that! ... although those comment are pretty scary. I am in Cleveland OH. Cavtel support is pretty basic for DSL customers. I have found the reliability not equal to AT&T. Maybe I should shop around again.

I was reading about Tomato for Linksys last night - when the box is busy, other internet tasks become very slow, so I think I'm going to need QOS control. I never realized that getting a Vudu could be the start of a new hobby ...

Comment

Also - is it possible for "DSL" to be searchable on these forums?

Phillip
                        The best way to increase your DSL speed / reliability is to do what's called a 'home run' from your service entrance (ie the telco box on the outside of your house). Corning as well as several other companies make a DSL filter that splits the DSL frequencies from Phone frequencies AT the telco box at your service entrance. You then run a Cat 5 or better cable from the DSL side of the filter directly to where you have your DSL modem. This completely negates all the 'old' phone wiring in your house from causing you DSL communications problems. This should improve your signal to noise ratio quite a bit and quite possibly allow your DSL speed to improve.

The only other way to improve things is to get the telco to drop your ancient 20-30 year old wire to the pole and replace it with the newer heavier gauge twisted pair outdoor cable they're using now. Some times if it's damaged by a tree or the like they're forced to.

Hope this helps. Using these techniques I've been able to get DSL 2k feet past the 'no go' zone. Of course I rewired the entire phone side with cat 5e at the same time too, but the biggest improvement came from a new drop from the telco box to the pole (telco side) and the home run with filter in the box I ran straight to the DSL modem.

Comment

Those things can help but even so, you still can't get around the fact that if you are 12,000 feet from the Central Office, you are going to get degraded service. And don't get me started about how the phone company can increase your loop length over time....

Comment

Working...
                          X