Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

How Much Bandwidth is Used For Backgroud Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Bandwidth is Used For Backgroud Downloads

Does anybody know how much downloading one of these does when you aren't watching or specifically downloading a move?

I just got my first box hooked up today and it is a big hit with the family. I just ordered one for my dad (he lives next door but uses my network via a wireless bridge) and I plan to add 2 more at my house for a total of 4 boxes on my network. I have both DSL/6 Mbps and Cable Modem/8 Mbps combined using a load balancing router. I'm hoping that between the 4 boxes they don't suck up all of my bandwidth while I'm not even watching movies.

Re: How Much Bandwidth is Used For Backgroud Downloads

Originally posted by redwein View Post
    Does anybody know how much downloading one of these does when you aren't watching or specifically downloading a move?

I just got my first box hooked up today and it is a big hit with the family. I just ordered one for my dad (he lives next door but uses my network via a wireless bridge) and I plan to add 2 more at my house for a total of 4 boxes on my network. I have both DSL/6 Mbps and Cable Modem/8 Mbps combined using a load balancing router. I'm hoping that between the 4 boxes they don't suck up all of my bandwidth while I'm not even watching movies.
    The background traffic is fairly light, however if I were in your hypothetical shoes, I would enable "Nice to Network" on you Vudu's when they were not actively streaming a movie. This will cut the Vudu's bandwidth consumption by half (or more), making it feasiable to have 4 your LAN without much of an impact at all. You could probably leave at least your main theater one on "full speed" if it get's a lot of instant gratification traffic. Remember, after the show downloads to the hard drive (rent or purchase), there is no need to even be connected to the internet. It's possible you have enough bandwidth to keep them all on full speed, but it's nice to know the Vudu gives you a throttle.

Another alternative would be to use some intelligent QOS settings. With any luck your load balancing router will allow you to prioritize your traffic in such a way that you won't even notice the Vudus impact. If not, you will find that many of us Vudu nuts are using routers with Tomato firmware that let's us enjoy our Vudu while keeping our preferred network traffic in the front of the queue.

FYI, the "Nice to Network" setting cuts your bandwidth usage in half (i.e. instead of being able to watch a 2 hour movie instantly, you would expect about a 1 hour delay before starting to watch the show). If you can convince the watchers in the other rooms to get used to selecting their movie before dinner, and watching it afterwards, they will not even realize what you've done to manage your bandwidth.

Comment

If I keep the reduced network usage option enabled, and then decide to watch a movie and change the option to full usage - will it take effect immediately and let me watch the movie immediately?

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
        If I keep the reduced network usage option enabled, and then decide to watch a movie and change the option to full usage - will it take effect immediately and let me watch the movie immediately?
        It depends. In general, if you have 3Mbps down or more, it's better to not flip the switch back and forth, as the box tries to "learn" about your network connection's abilities to provide you with instant access, so if you flip flop that switch too often, it will have a less than ideal time to settle on a good assessment.

The box's background traffic is designed to be non-intrusive on 3Mbps (or higher) networks. The general background traffic is about 100kbps, but it can increase to about 600kbps down and 250kbps up (note that these figures are approximations and can vary based on a lot of factors, but it gives you an idea) for some periods of time, depending on what the box is doing.

For instance, when you get a box from a store/warehouse, and you just plug it in, it will try and play "catch up" with the rest of the network to get the latest movies/software, etc... so you will see more traffic in the first few days/weeks of ownership.

Hope this helps.

-- Greg
        Last edited by Greg; 10-13-2007, 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

That sounds reasonable and I think I can keep my boxes on full speed mode all the time since we generally wouldn't be watching movies from multiple boxes simultaneously. It does sound like I should stage the addition of the other boxes though, letting each one "catch up" before adding the next. I can see my first one hitting the network pretty constantly (though not too heavily) since I plugged it in yesterday.

BTW, having the 2 broadband connections and the load balancing router seems like an ideal configuration for this. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to share my experiences with finding a router that works well for this.

Comment

Greg is the Vudu networking genius and he and I have sent many, many messages on this topic. His word is as good as gold. I've challenged his conclusions many times and he's always been right!

I just upgraded to an 8 Mb/1 Mb service (Comcast Business). The primary reason was to support the Vudu. And it clips along great. The background upload/download is really not very noticeable. The downloads sometimes burst up to 1 or 2 Mb/sec but it's fairly short. The uploads are pretty consistent around 100 kbps to 200 kbps and sometimes do go higher.

QoS on your router will help the most...What would be best would be to give the downstream Vudu traffic the top priority and the upstream the bulk or bottom priority...

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'll leave the settings alone

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                QoS on your router will help the most...What would be best would be to give the downstream Vudu traffic the top priority and the upstream the bulk or bottom priority...
                So what is going on in the upstream? Is it a file sharing mechanism and my box is providing chunks of files to other boxes? If so, would me setting the QoS to low priority for upstream make others' dowonloads slower? Also, if one box provides content for another, I wonder if it would be smart enough to get content from other boxes on the same lan first, before going outside.

Comment

So what is going on in the upstream? Is it a file sharing mechanism and my box is providing chunks of files to other boxes? If so, would me setting the QoS to low priority for upstream make others' dowonloads slower? Also, if one box provides content for another, I wonder if it would be smart enough to get content from other boxes on the same lan first, before going outside.
                  In a word, yes. One of the ways the "Instant" function works so well is that nothing is reliant upon any one server. In terms of limiting via QoS, it probably wouldn't make much difference. The bulk priority in QoS only is going to come into play if you've max'd out your upstream for some reason. However, you probably won't do that but with multiple boxes on the LAN, you might...still while I don't know all the details of the protocol, I do know that it is smart enough to not rely too much on any single peer.

In terms of being able to pull content from other boxes on the LAN first, that's a good question. I don't know and I also don't know how it would work in general. All of us who have been testing this have so far just had one box to play with. But you raise a very valid point...

Maybe Greg can chime in on this...

Comment

redwein, you bring up a very interesting point. Let's say you had 4 boxes at home. I'm not sure if the system is set up to handle that as 4 possible boxes from which to download, or if it would take into account that the 4 boxes are connected to 1 WAN IP address, and it would treat them as one possible download source. I would think it should treat it as the latter, to be fair, but I don't know if this has come up yet, so it may not be part of the way the system works. This is definitely something they will need to address, though, as people begin to buy multiple units for one residence.

Comment

Well it can't be by WAN IP address since many, if not most people use DHCP to get their addresses so they aren't stable. I'm guessing it would see each box as a completely independent unit and would attempt to grab data from each of them accordingly. I'm not sure how feasible it is to do anything different but we will see.

I hope it doesn't come to it but I wonder if Comcast would sell me another connection. I have one more WAN port in my router.

Comment

So do you need a different account for each box? (I was too lazy to browse all the other threads )

Comment

I'm assuming not. If someone can answer with certainty, please do.

Comment

You can activate multiple boxes under one account. Or if you prefer, you can create an account for each box (OK kids, you only get $x per month for movies on this box, and I'm keeping my eye on it). I don't know if the account history (purchase/rental) can be sorted by box (yet).

Comment

Well it can't be by WAN IP address since many, if not most people use DHCP to get their addresses so they aren't stable. I'm guessing it would see each box as a completely independent unit and would attempt to grab data from each of them accordingly. I'm not sure how feasible it is to do anything different but we will see.

I hope it doesn't come to it but I wonder if Comcast would sell me another connection. I have one more WAN port in my router.
                              Yes, but as soon as your WAN IP address changes, it changes for all boxes, and all packets from those boxes would immediately have the new IP address. But it might be more useful if the backend just knew that boxes 4723, 4724, 4725, and 4276 were all on your account, and so treated them as one source from which to download. Then again, if you bought a box for a family member and paid all their expenses (I wouldn't, but I know people who are billed directly for family members' expenses), they should be treated as separate sources, so I'd think WAN IP would be the best way to go, if it's necessary at all.

Remember, this is just spitballing, I don't work for VUDU. But I've seen other systems try to track how many accounts/devices people have.

Comment

Working...
                              X