Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu Movie Collection Rated - first poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vudu Movie Collection Rated - first poll

K, I'll list some movies,

Transformers, Saving Private Ryan, Backt to the Future Trilogy, For Love or Money, 28 days later,
    or do a search by Director example : Robert Zemeckis = 0 movies.

but who cares, The innovation of this product and what the future holds is what will make it a true winner. This product has just launched, once it gains popularity I'm almost certain you will see all the missing titles become available.

If the studios did not believe in the capabilities of the Vudu, they would not have made deals with it. Look at Apple TV what is their selection like?
    Is there another service that supplies instant movie watching over the internet like Vudu? I have not seen it.

I think this person expected to have every movie ever made available on day one. uuhmm it was launched with only 5,000 titles

Comment

Originally posted by cmunguia View Post
      K, I'll list some movies,

Transformers, Saving Private Ryan, Backt to the Future Trilogy, For Love or Money, 28 days later,
      or do a search by Director example : Robert Zemeckis = 0 movies.
      I meant to disqualify transformers - but yeah, it isn't available.

But, the rest of those movies aren't new releases. Agreed, they should be in the database. There are others I would like to see in it:

Shawshank Redemption
      Lord of the Rings Trilogy
      Harry Potter movies
      The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
      King Kong

but who cares, The innovation of this product and what the future holds is what will make it a true winner. This product has just launched, once it gains popularity I'm almost certain you will see all the missing titles become available.
      EXACTLY! The database is not at all static...it's growing and will continue to grow. The box hasn't even been shipping for 2 weeks yet!

If the studios did not believe in the capabilities of the Vudu, they would not have made deals with it. Look at Apple TV what is their selection like?
      Is there another service that supplies instant movie watching over the internet like Vudu? I have not seen it.
      I think iTunes has 500 movies and 5 studios...

No, there is no other service like Vudu available today...

I think this person expected to have every movie ever made available on day one. uuhmm it was launched with only 5,000 titles

Comment

I'm not trying to be a movie critic, so no more cracks about quality or Harrison Ford hey, he was good 20 years ago ....

What's missing (ie. available for dvd rent) -- off the top of my head:

Knocked Up
        Transformers
        A mighty heart
        The Hoax
        Reign Over Me
        Fantastic Four - Silver Surfer (to rent)
        Spiderman 3

All newly released, not for rental here ..

I'll get back to you with a more comprensive list ..

Once again, take a look at Vudu's site ... here's a quote I copied from Page 1 ...

VUDU brings you the hottest new releases and old favorites from every major studio ? Lionsgate, New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Universal Studios, Warner Bros. Studios, and Walt Disney Studios ? plus titles from 17 independent and international distributors, including First Look, Granada, Kino International, and Think Film

Here's another:

The reviews are in!
        VUDU is a clear win if you, like 30 million other Americans, make several trips to the video store each month.

"hottest new releases" , "old favorites" ... so don't tell me they're trying to appeal to old B-movie buffs ... the movies displayed on their site are all recent .... skip the vidwo store etc. etc. etc.

"old favorites" , once again, the vast bulk of movies are trivial ....

I'll get bak to you with a list of old favorites and newer releases I'd like to see. Then I think I've made my point and will no longer beat my head against the wall ...

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
          "hottest new releases" , "old favorites" ... so don't tell me they're trying to appeal to old B-movie buffs ... the movies displayed on their site are all recent .... skip the vidwo store etc. etc. etc.

"old favorites" , once again, the vast bulk of movies are trivial ....

I'll get bak to you with a list of old favorites and newer releases I'd like to see. Then I think I've made my point and will no longer beat my head against the wall ...
          I suggest you return the box within the 30 day period and wait 6 months. Then if it is better, buy it again. If it isn't, walk away.

It seems to me there are just 2 different kinds of people who would walk into a vidoe store. There are those who know what they want and just want to go pick it up and there are those that want to browse and have no idea what they will walk out of the store with. You are clearly the first type, which is perfectly fine, but a bad fit for the current offering. I, and many of the others who have purchased so far are the second type. We are just currently satisfied that our browsing the current selection is useful. We also have faith that the selection will grow and the patience to wait for that. That's what early adopters typically do.

About the marketing blurb. Come on, you have never seen marketing speak before. Notice they didn't use the word "all" in front of "hottest". It is also obvious that the marketing message is designed to endure and an indication of where they want to go with this thing. Again, any early adopter that I have ever known would have seen it this way. I feel really bad for you that you got caught up in the marketing net and I would again suggest you get your money back, at least for now.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
            About the marketing blurb. Come on, you have never seen marketing speak before. Notice they didn't use the word "all" in front of "hottest". It is also obvious that the marketing message is designed to endure and an indication of where they want to go with this thing. Again, any early adopter that I have ever known would have seen it this way. I feel really bad for you that you got caught up in the marketing net and I would again suggest you get your money back, at least for now.

Good luck.
            You're right -- I'm the type that reads what new movies just came out, decides what I'm interested in, and then rent's it from BB. And mistakenly believed Vudu would do away with that ... again my mistake for believing the hype ...

Ok -- so I'm the only one who believed the hype about not having to use Netflix or go to Blockbuster anymore ... I'm so naive ... my bad ...

Comment

I'm not trying to be a movie critic, so no more cracks about quality or Harrison Ford hey, he was good 20 years ago ....

What's missing (ie. available for dvd rent) -- off the top of my head:

Knocked Up
              Transformers
              A mighty heart
              The Hoax
              Reign Over Me
              Fantastic Four - Silver Surfer (to rent)
              Spiderman 3

All newly released, not for rental here ..

I'll get back to you with a more comprensive list ..

That's a good start. If you don't mind, please go to Blockbuster with a notepad and come back here with the best list you can come up with. That is the type of feedback we'd welcome, and it will be used.

Comment

You're right -- I'm the type that reads what new movies just came out, decides what I'm interested in, and then rent's it from BB. And mistakenly believed Vudu would do away with that ... again my mistake for believing the hype ...

Ok -- so I'm the only one who believed the hype about not having to use Netflix or go to Blockbuster anymore ... I'm so naive ... my bad ...
                I don't think it's a matter of being naive. I think it's the fact that you simply have expected too much from a box in its infancy. It's not even been shipping for 2 weeks and you are railing against it daily and complaining about how bad the movie selection is. I wish you could have seen the database 4 months ago. Sheesh.

You are simply impatient. The fact is that the Vudu will at some point in time (and probably sooner rather than later) replace your trip to the video store. The question is do you want to be one of the early adopters and take pride in the fact that you were one of the first or do you want to do as Redwein said and check back later? If you want to be in the first group, then realize that you've got to be patient and wait for the movies to come out. It will get better over time. I encourage you to stay. I think your input is valuable and trust me - Vudu listens. I wouldn't be sitting here defending them if they didn't. We're all excited about it. We all want more and want it better. But it won't come overnight. It's a process. It's like learning to walk before you can run.

Unless you really need your $400 for something else like clothes for your kids or groceries, I'd suggest you keep the box. If in 6 months to a year you don't like what is around, then sell the box on eBay and recoup some of the cost. I don't think you'll be selling it though...

I think we've beaten this horse to death...

Comment

Geez, I remember back when Netflix made a big deal about hitting 5,000 titles! Now look at them. And back then, one of the things I loved about them was finding indie films I hadn't ever heard of before.

Comment

I generally like the selection, but my only real disappointment is how few of the films we want to watch are able to be rented. Too many have to have to be purchased permanently for at least $10. If anyone from VuDu reads this, I would encourage you to let your partners know that we are very unlikely to pay the 'purchase' price, but very willing to pay the 'rental' price and keep it for just a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      I think we've beaten this horse to death...
                      Ur right ... there's no point in complaining and I'm keeping my box to see how this venture goes ....

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                        I meant to disqualify transformers - but yeah, it isn't available.

Why?

(/cover blown)

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                          Geez, I remember back when Netflix made a big deal about hitting 5,000 titles! Now look at them. And back then, one of the things I loved about them was finding indie films I hadn't ever heard of before.
                          Still, EVERY tuesday, Netflix' rental availability increased. All new releases were available at Netflix immediately.

That's what people expect (rightfully so) from vudu.

Comment

Ur right ... there's no point in complaining and I'm keeping my box to see how this venture goes ....
                            I'm glad to hear that!

We do want feedback. Trust me - Vudu as a small company is very receptive to what all of us who are users are saying (and at the end of the day, yes, I still am a user of the service) and we can all have a hand in helping to shape the product and company.

I know good things are coming.

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post
                              Why?

(/cover blown)
                              Don't know why I was going to disqualify Transformers. Probably because it is one we all know is missing right now...

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post
                                Still, EVERY tuesday, Netflix' rental availability increased. All new releases were available at Netflix immediately.

That's what people expect (rightfully so) from vudu.
                                And agreed. If Vudu is going to survive and not become another Akimbo or Moviebeam then yeah, this is going to have to happen. And I think it will long term. The Vudu management knows this as we all do too...

Comment

Working...
                                X