Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

membership or pay per movie???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

membership or pay per movie???

i just wanted to know would anyone else also be interested if vudu have a monthly membership fee like hulu or netflix instead of paying per movie.i know it streaming in 1080p and stuff would cost them alot more and they would need to charge more which i would still go for.Anyways back to question which method would you prefer? currently i have membership with netflix and would love if vudu would have the same option..

Re: membership or pay per movie???

I have used VUDU since it's beginning, I prefer it the way it is because I use it as my digital library....I own a lot of movies on the service and overall have gotten a great experience with it.....I don't think a subscription plan would work in VUDU's case, the studios would even be more strict than they are now.....Then there is the money issue, I think the studios look at VOD/Electronic sell-thru as the new money-maker......I have Netflix as well, so when the wife doesn't want to see a film I want to watch, she has the option to watch Netfilx on another TV, It is VUDU only in my HT(in terms of a streaming service)...........Just sayin'

Comment

I prefer the pay as you go model. I probably average 1-3 movies a month so it works well for me.

Comment

I prefer VUDU to remain a pay-as-you-go service. The Netflix model works for them because they negotiated amazing deals for the content before anyone realized how big streaming video would be.

I think VUDU should be focused on their HDX offerings and promote themselves as the source for HIGH QUALITY movies. I would bet that a subscription model would be less profitable. And when the profits go down you can bet that quality will go with it.

I think it will be hard for anyone to compete with Netflix right now using the same subscription model. How will they differentiate themselves? -More movies? That is tough to do given the huge catalog Netflix already has. -Deals with different studios? Outside of a handful of studios (e.g. Pixar, Disney), most consumers have no idea who makes a given film. So you need to compete on quality, convenience, target consumer or usage type.

Netflix basically owns the subscription-based, acceptable quality, watch anywhere (including on your phone) market. Amazon is shaping up to be the big player in ppv rental with their continued development of their Android app store and cloud-based storage.

Where does that leave VUDU? Again I go back to high quality. They do also seem to have a great collection of classic films as well. So maybe the focus is on great films, great quality; a high-end offering for the discerning consumer. Granted, that does not quite fit with their parent company, Wal-Mart. So maybe this points to a coming problem for VUDU.

Thoughts?

Comment

IMO, VUDU has always focused on quality of films they provide, with mostly top notch encodes...I have always felt VUDU was designed from the start to be a high-end service....When they made their own boxes, there were three types: the BX100, The XL and the XL2, which was a rackmount unit installed by home theater professionals.....This is why I decided to take the plunge and I haven't looked back....I hope with Wal-Mart now owning them, things will improve and IMO, they have in many ways......

There have been rumors about VUDU being part of some VOD services that will be allowed to show movies 3 months after theatrical release for $30.00......I just read an article about DirecTV VOD showing films 10 weeks after theatrical release...So things on the internet video space are really changing....

Comment

Originally posted by canadien37 View Post
            IMO, VUDU has always focused on quality of films they provide, with mostly top notch encodes...I have always felt VUDU was designed from the start to be a high-end service....When they made their own boxes, there were three types: the BX100, The XL and the XL2, which was a rackmount unit installed by home theater professionals.....This is why I decided to take the plunge and I haven't looked back....I hope with Wal-Mart now owning them, things will improve and IMO, they have in many ways......

There have been rumors about VUDU being part of some VOD services that will be allowed to show movies 3 months after theatrical release for $30.00......I just read an article about DirecTV VOD showing films 10 weeks after theatrical release...So things on the internet video space are really changing....
            Yes I read where VUDU would be part of that. But why spend $30 when it will be available to rent for $6 or less 30 to 60 days later? If you didn't see it in the theater, why see it 60 days after the initial release for $30?

Now if it was available for $30 when it was first released at the theater, that would at least make more sense.

Comment

Good point, but there are people that will pay that much to avoid the hassles of the theater....Plus there is that "gotta see it now" mentality....I don't think I would take advantage of this, but maybe if a film like "The Hobbit" was available on release day, I would get some friends over and check it out on my HT.....

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                Yes I read where VUDU would be part of that. But why spend $30 when it will be available to rent for $6 or less 30 to 60 days later? If you didn't see it in the theater, why see it 60 days after the initial release for $30?

Now if it was available for $30 when it was first released at the theater, that would at least make more sense.
                This is not new...it's actually already in place and has been for a while. Films currently in theaters (from the Tribeca Film Fest) are available to see in HD now! There at least 5 or 6 titles up at the moment, with more to come in about 6 weeks or so. Then there are movies that are already available BEFORE they open in theaters. Right now, HOBO W/A SHOTGUN (with Rutger Hauer) and 13 ASSASSINS are up. Price is $11.00 for HDX. A few days before they open in theaters, they are shown (one night only) for FREE on HDNet Movies. Once they hit theaters, the streaming (and VOD) price drops to $8.00. Other films that have followed this plan: BLACK DEATH, RED CLIFF, CEREMONY (Uma Thurman), and VANISHING ON 7th AVE. Now admittedly, these are not studio blockbusters...but they are all PRE-theatrical releases at a sane price. And I'd prefer them to paying $30 for an Adam Sandler flick...and that's AFTER it's hit theaters!

Comment

I think current model is great, watch as you go.. Just get the HDX working without the buffering issue and it would be even better...

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post

I don't see this doing very well. Ignoring for a moment the limited reach of DirecTV's HD service, I'm not sure how large the target segment is for this offering. Or even who that segment is. From a cost stand-point it only works for families larger than 4, or groups of friends (but really, you're going to ask your friends to pony up cash when they come over to watch a movie?).

So the pricing puts it in competition with theaters, where for the same cost you get a social component and an immersive cinematic experience. The viewing experience (i.e. home on your couch) puts it in competition with Netflix, Red Box and VOD, from which you can select from 10,000+ movies for $4-$8.

They're clearly over-estimating the value of "almost-new" movies. If you're interested in sharing the cultural experience of the latest must-see movie then you'll see it in the first few weeks while people are still talking about it.

The more I think about it, the dumber this whole thing seems. Unless this is just a way to move us closer to same-day-everywhere movie releases. Even for a movie like The Hobbit, though- how many people have the kind of HT system that would make the theater experience a non-issue?

Comment

Originally posted by coachkecz View Post
                      They're clearly over-estimating the value of "almost-new" movies. If you're interested in sharing the cultural experience of the latest must-see movie then you'll see it in the first few weeks while people are still talking about it.

The more I think about it, the dumber this whole thing seems. Unless this is just a way to move us closer to same-day-everywhere movie releases. Even for a movie like The Hobbit, though- how many people have the kind of HT system that would make the theater experience a non-issue?
                      Agreed. Considering that the first film they are thinking of doing this with is an Adam Sandler movie, I doubt it would have the same "gotta see now" quotient as, say, GREEN LANTERN. And, considering that THE HOBBIT will be the first film to be shown at 48 - 60fps (and an advanced 3D technology to go with it), no HT set-up will come close to that. Even in 2D, the higher frame rate should be something to experience.

Comment

Originally posted by cinema13 View Post
                        This is not new...it's actually already in place and has been for a while. Films currently in theaters (from the Tribeca Film Fest) are available to see in HD now! There at least 5 or 6 titles up at the moment, with more to come in about 6 weeks or so. Then there are movies that are already available BEFORE they open in theaters. Right now, HOBO W/A SHOTGUN (with Rutger Hauer) and 13 ASSASSINS are up. Price is $11.00 for HDX. A few days before they open in theaters, they are shown (one night only) for FREE on HDNet Movies. Once they hit theaters, the streaming (and VOD) price drops to $8.00. Other films that have followed this plan: BLACK DEATH, RED CLIFF, CEREMONY (Uma Thurman), and VANISHING ON 7th AVE. Now admittedly, these are not studio blockbusters...but they are all PRE-theatrical releases at a sane price. And I'd prefer them to paying $30 for an Adam Sandler flick...and that's AFTER it's hit theaters!
                        Yes those movies are not $30. Their prices are more reasonable. Plus I'll typically watch those from HDNet.

Comment

Working...
                        X