Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

How Do Studio Moguls Think??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do Studio Moguls Think??

This is a serious question actually ... I wonder if Gil, the moderators, or anybody else that has any insight into how studios release content, can provide some enlightenment for the rest of us...

I was channel surfing earlier on Comcast and "Firewall" was on TV (I don't remember which premium channel) -- yes the same piece of crap that costs $20 to buy on vudu. So I look up the studio, and it's Warner Brothers (so I'm thinking what a bunch of greedy bastards...) then I look at info on "300" - one of the better more current offerings - even for rent - on vudu -- and lo and behold - Warner Brothers owns (or distributes) that movie too!

So can anybody think of a reason (other than the studio's pathetic attempt to recoup Harrison Ford's inflated salary) why they would continue to insist this dreck should be sold, whereas "300" can be released for rent? I'm thoroughly confused by their "logic" ....

Re: How Do Studio Moguls Think??

I don't think you can apply the word "logic" to the actions and motivations of the studios.

Comment

Great question! Simple answer, we're working on an answer.

Content availability is a pretty complicated dance and this is a serious question/problem that has been a topic of discussion for awhile. The upcoming answer is related and hopefully covered by the new title release notification process discussed earlier.

BTW, it's been helpful that you folks have been posting on content availability and quality. At the end of the day it's about getting to the consumer the product he or she wants, period. So keep it coming.

Just know that there's a sea change coming and you'll be able to say that you influenced it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
        I don't think you can apply the word "logic" to the actions and motivations of the studios.
        Well, as much as I gripe, I know the studios aren't dumb, there's got to be some sort of business-related logic why they think people will pay to buy "Firewall" at this late stage in the game -- it just escapes me ...

Comment

You know some folks do like these types of movies. I am sure I some of the movies you like are rated zero stars by other folks. We can't all like the same content.

I am usually a patient guy when it comes other other folks opinions but I am drawing the line here. You are not the only movie watcher on this board and we do appreciate comments. But complaining over and over again is not constructive.

If you really want to be constructive why don't you describe the perfect catalog of movies, the perfect rental agreement, and the perfect platform. I myself am not perfect so I think you will have to do it for the rest of us.

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
          Well, as much as I gripe, I know the studios aren't dumb, there's got to be some sort of business-related logic why they think people will pay to buy "Firewall" at this late stage in the game -- it just escapes me ...

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
            The "logic" is that they're scared so crapless about limitless flawless digital copies of their precious content that they drive MORE people to break copyright laws by not giving them a usable, reasonably priced alternative. Sometimes there is NO option other than a gray-market copy, like with many TV shows that have never been released on DVD.

Or maybe they fling their poo at a list of options on the wall while hooting and screeching, and then they do whatever is not covered up on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by g-unit View Post
              Great question! Simple answer, we're working on an answer.

BTW, it's been helpful that you folks have been posting on content availability and quality. At the end of the day it's about getting to the consumer the product he or she wants, period. So keep it coming.

Just know that there's a sea change coming and you'll be able to say that you influenced it.
              Originally posted by RonV View Post
              You know some folks do like these types of movies. I am sure I some of the movies you like are rated zero stars by other folks. We can't all like the same content.

I am usually a patient guy when it comes other other folks opinions but I am drawing the line here. You are not the only movie watcher on this board and we do appreciate comments. But complaining over and over again is not constructive.

If you really want to be constructive why don't you describe the perfect catalog of movies, the perfect rental agreement, and the perfect platform. I myself am not perfect so I think you will have to do it for the rest of us.
              Ron, I think you are being a little hard on mbustin.
              He asks a legitimate question about the studios logic.
              Even Gil from Vudu acknoledges it a good question and comments on how our questions may make a change in the studios thinking.
              If everyone just sits around like a bunch of lemmings and don't make any noise about how to improve it, the studios will think that there business plan of not allowing current releases to be rented on day and date of release is fine.
              The only way to make change is to let your voice be heard.
              And I think the perfect Vudu platform would be if it worked exactly like a blockbuster video store does. Where I can rent or buy a current release on day and date release or rent or buy any of the older movies in the inventory.

Visit the 5 Star Cinema

Comment

The logic of the movie studios is quite simple and it can be seen throughout history. The are defending or attempting to defend their "rice bowl."

In the 1930s or thereabout when recorded music became available, the entertainment industry at the time complained and wanted to outlaw it because recorded music would destroy live performances. After all, the logic was that if people could listen in their homes, why would they attend a performance some place else.

In the 1970s when VCRs hit the stage, the complaint was that people could copy movies and this would be the death of both normal TV and all movies. All sorts of legislation was attempted. Additionally, the cost to purchase movies in the late 70s or early 80s was close to $100 a movie! And movies weren't released on to video until several years after their theatrical release and even possibly after being shown on TV.

In the mid-80s when rentals became available, it was said that movie rentals would kill the theater business.

In the mid-80 to late 80s digital audio tape was developed. This was effectively held in limbo with legislation for years as the fear was that with CDs and a DAT, a perfect digital replicate could be produced. DAT never really say the day and died on the vine except for some high end audiophiles and for data backup. The "compromise" solution were digital compact cassette and the Sony Mini-Disc which suffered in audio quality. Mini-Disc took off the best, but died as it was taking off due to CD recorders and ultimately MP3 players.

In the 90s we saw even more attempts at legislation against DVDs, CD writers, etc.

Finally in this decade things have hit a frenzied pace with the internet and everything. We see legislation enacted such as the DMCA which makes it a crime to rip a DVD for your own use. Well, OK, I think you can rip a backup, but I do believe it is illegal to develop and write software that gets around the encryption mechanisms. So it's legally impossible to get that backup. There's likely not a single one of us that is not a felon in terms of the DMCA.

Now we have things like DVRs which are going to allow easy theft of television (ever hear of the lawsuit against ReplayTV).

But what is funny is that every new technology introduced into the entertainment space doesn't take away from the industry's business - it adds to it. Look how much money is made from DVD sales - so much so that DVDs are now released months after the movie leaves theaters.

But yet with every new technology, Hollywood is continually trying to prevent theft with more and more restrictions on the consumer. For example, if you bought an HD set a few years ago with component inputs only, guess what - you now have an ED TV on your hands in terms of products like VuDu or BlueRay or even upconverting DVD players. All because Hollywood's protectionist lawyers have insisted on HDCP on all new devices.

But with every attempt at restricting the consumer, piracy grows.

It's funny. Just the opposite of what Hollywood does makes sales and things work: Make the content EASY for the consumer to get w/o a lot of red tape and people will gladly pay money for legal copies as opposed to pirates. Look at the success of the iTunes Music store. It's been so successful and protection methods have failed so badly in music that now the music industry is considering getting rid of DRM all together.

But yet on the other hand look at entertainment venues like Major League Baseball who claim that if I use a Slingbox in Chicago to watch the White Sox from a hotel room in San Francisco, I am violating their copyright laws!

So you look at every time how Hollywood tries to restrict something and they are plain, dead wrong and it's been proven through history.

Now, you tell me how they can even possibly be talked to about "logic." These people are nothing but protectionists that do nothing but attempt to make things difficult for the consumer in an effort to enlarge their rice bowl. They really don't care if you have to pay $20 to see Firewall. They know that if it's a rainy night and you want to see the movie bad enough you'll pay. Beyond that, they don't give a rat's backside into any logic or what you want or what the rest of us want.

This is what the well meaning people at Vudu have to deal with. You go and try to convince a dinosaur of an industry, that has lawyers up the ying-yang, that is as protectionist as can be that you have the device that will solve all their problems. Then go and tell them that it downloads movies over the internet. And then go beyond that to let them know that it actually shares video content between boxes. You tell me how much convincing you'll have to do....

Enough of this.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                  Or maybe they fling their poo at a list of options on the wall while hooting and screeching, and then they do whatever is not covered up on the list.
                  This made me laugh. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kmulder View Post
                    And I think the perfect Vudu platform would be if it worked exactly like a blockbuster video store does. Where I can rent or buy a current release on day and date release or rent or buy any of the older movies in the inventory.
                    I agree with you on what you stated that the VUDU should be the video store and its a great concept. But as other like Jon have stated so well is that the lawyers drive the darn industry and don't want to give into anything new.

Where I disagree is where the video store concept fails. Yes they have current titles and some older material that they don't want to waste shelf space on. So in addition I want to have:
                    • Classics like they used to play on AMC and still do on Turner
                    • B movie horror like they used to have on the early afternoon horror fest
                    • Independent and let me decide which is a gem and not I don't need Sundance telling me what it is
                    • Just plane fun, action, and suspense (yes mbustin it includes Harrison Ford) that can be mindless that you can share with the family
                    I think it comes down to what that old Qwest commercial used to be on the TV...."We have every movie ever made at any time..." That would be perfect for me but I know its not feasible at this time. But the VUDU definitely came though with the mix of decent movies despite what the lawyers and the movie studios have really screwed up.

Comment

--HIJACK ALERT--

[HIJACK]
                      Originally posted by RonV View Post
                      [LIST][*]Classics like they used to play on AMC and still do on Turner
                      *Sigh* The old AMC was so good. Why did they ruin it...

[/HIJACK]

Comment

NA9D

Your other post about movie rental history is great, I really like it.

What's lawsuit against ReplayTV? Did they go after Tivo?

I am curious since I use work for ReplayTV.

Comment

Simple case language:
                          The machines are part of an "unlawful scheme" that "attacks the fundamental economic underpinnings of free television and basic nonbroadcast services."
                          It was all about commercial skip and advertising revenue that is used to provide free TV.

Here is a link to a good summary of what it was all about...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20011112-2551.html

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                            Finally in this decade things have hit a frenzied pace with the internet and everything. We see legislation enacted such as the DMCA which makes it a crime to rip a DVD for your own use. Well, OK, I think you can rip a backup, but I do believe it is illegal to develop and write software that gets around the encryption mechanisms. So it's legally impossible to get that backup. There's likely not a single one of us that is not a felon in terms of the DMCA.
                            Jon you forgot to mention the latest court case there was a woman that had to pay over $20,000 per title for what was alleged sharing of copyrighted material. In this case the lawyer for the record company actually came out and said that any copy of a CD is against the law and should be prosecuted. This includes ripping a CD for use in a personal media player.

Remember all media companies want to control how and when you can use their content and want compensation for each time you do use their content. Fair use is now long gone.

Comment

In that case, I am response party. I developed commercial detection for Replay.
                              Some background detail here. We knew we could be suited, yet we still decided to go for this commercial skipping feature. The reason being Replay was dying and we needed some stimulation at that time. I guess that wasn't enough to save Replay anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X