Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU SUBSCRIPTION PLAN

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU SUBSCRIPTION PLAN

Originally posted by MCS74 View Post
    The amount charged for a subscription plan would have to be determined by vudu. I am not greedy or unreasonable.
    Vudu has done a lot to the box based on customer requests. All we are simply asking is what YOU would pay for a service and what YOU would like it to be.

So let's say it's $30 a month for up to say 15 movies. That would basically mean it's $2.00 a movie which is a discount from what it is now.

The biggest issue I see with a flat fee is that content is priced differently. The people that would use the box mainly for older or offbeat titles that are 99 cents would have to watch a LOT of content to break even. The people that watch only HD would only have to watch a few movies to break even. So I really question if that's the way Vudu would be successful with it.

The problem I have with subscription plans is that it is a way that companies nickel and dime you to death. Think how quickly you will spend all your money paying $30 a month for a number of subscriptions. You pay $30 for this, $30 for that, $30 for something else and before you know it, you've spent $90. But are you getting $90 worth? I doubt it. I would be that for most people if they just simply paid for what they viewed or used, it would save them money. I think subscription plans are a rip off to the consumer. Very few people actually always exceed that cost of the sub.

I find Vudu to be refreshing in that it's a pay as you go system. To me, that is wonderful and if I had to subscribe, I'd be much less amenable to it.

Now, what I would like to see is volume discounts. Say, if you rent 10 movies in a month, Vudu would give you a $10 credit in your account or something like that. 20 movies in a month would get you a $20 credit, etc. Something like this would obviate the need for a subscription service as it would give users a good rebate for watching a large amount of content.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
      The problem I have with subscription plans is that it is a way that companies nickel and dime you to death. Think how quickly you will spend all your money paying $30 a month for a number of subscriptions. You pay $30 for this, $30 for that, $30 for something else and before you know it, you've spent $90. But are you getting $90 worth? I doubt it. I would be that for most people if they just simply paid for what they viewed or used, it would save them money. I think subscription plans are a rip off to the consumer. Very few people actually always exceed that cost of the sub.
      That's a good point. That's exactly what Directv does. They only charge $39/m for their basic service. If you want to watch HBO, then Bam another $12/m. If you want to use a DVR then, Bam another $9/m. If you want to watch HD content then, Bam another $12/m.

Right now by monthly bill for Directv is $89/m + an extra $4.99 per each PPV movie I would want to watch. My typical real bill is typically over $100/m. Even though I can easily afford it, NA9D is right-on about the concept.

I had Att cell service for a long time with unlimited calls anywhere for up to 5000 minutes for $79/m.

I was racking up and losing so many of those minutes, I found it much cheaper just to go with their new Pay As You Go plan. It's much cheaper for us and comes much closer to being in line with our actual usage of the cell phone.

Regards

Comment

It's amazing how much money we spend on stuff we don't use. Case in point: I recently switched phone service to a VoIP carrier, Broadvoice. They have a $19.95/month plan that includes unlimited long distance in the US and about 15 other countries. I was like, "What a deal."

They also have an unlimited in state only plan that gives you unlimited calls w/in your state but you pay for state to state or international calls. It costs $9.95 per month.

I started thinking. Wait? Do I make enough state to state or international calls worth $10.00 per month? No, far from it. I make maybe $3.00 in state to state and virtually no international calls (I'll use Skype if I want to do that). So I was paying an extra $10.00 per month to be able to feel good about having all this "capability." It's really an ego thing.

I think a Vudu subscription would be the same thing. People want to brag that they can watch all the movies they want. And some months they might actually come out ahead. But on average over time, they wouldn't. And it's just that - something to brag about.

Comment

Everyone brings up a good point. But if you look at my original post. Subscription plan if offered would be in addition to pay as you go. It is simply an alternative choice. If people want to pay as they go then they can. Likewise I would rather have a subscription and I am sure I am not alone. Also one person said that my point about netflix is not true. Call netflix they do offer unlimited watching as long as you subscribe to an unlimited plan. The only time they limit instant viewing is if you get the little $4.99 plan that only gives you two rentals a month all the other plans offer unlimited instant viewing.

Comment

"How can I watch movies instantly on my PC?
            With Netflix, you will be able to watch movies instantly on your PC at no additional cost. The number of hours varies by plan. On our most popular plan, the 3 at-a-time unlimited plan for $16.99 a month, you will also be able to watch Unlimited hours of movies and TV episodes instantly on your PC - all in addition to your regular "by mail" selections!"

Comment

They must have changed things recently. Now every plan has unlimited PC viewing except for the one out at a time plan for $4.99.
              I know when I dropped Netflix a couple of months ago this was not the case. I have Blockbuster now with the one out at a time plan for $3.99. Of course I'v had the same movie for the last 6 weeks which is the reason I switched to a one out at a time plan, since the titles sit there for a long time without me watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                What would you be willing to pay per month for such a privelege?
                Perhaps you missed my question the first time. For purposes of this discussion/debate, would you please put a stake in the ground and tell us what this would be worth to you? I'm wondering what you think would be the price point that would be acceptable to both parties (i.e. the user and the studios). Vudu is just the broker in the middle.

Can you name a price point that would be appealing to both the consumer and the intellectual property owners?

Comment

Remember, Vudu has to pay a licensing fee every time a movie that's not in the public domain is rented, even if it might be quite a small fee for older or less popular movies. So just for argument's sake, let's assume the average licensing fee per rental is 25 cents overall when averaged between new HD releases and very old content, and that a person watches a completely normal distribution of movies, not weighted towards newer, more popular movies. At a potential 480 movies per month, an unlimited plan has the potential to cost Vudu $120 per month. Of course, it's not likely that someone would watch that many, but I think I've probably also underestimated the costs and assumed an unrealistic viewing pattern. If I could get unlimited viewing, I'd probably watch every HD movie first, then all new releases in SD. And in, say, a college dorm suite with some night owls and staggered class schedules, it's not impossible that movies would be playing almost 24 hours a day. I know we'd probably have all chipped in and done that if Vudu was around back in <mumble mumble>, when I went to college.

So, that's why I believe that an unlimited plan, while it would be nice for us, wouldn't make sense for Vudu. However, we've encouraged them to have other types of promotions and incentives, and they've implemented some of them (free classic movies, discounted first episodes), which is why some people have already suggested that as a kind of alternative. Whether you still think an unlimited plan is reasonable or not, are there any other types of incentives or deals you'd like to see?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                    If I could get unlimited viewing, I'd probably watch every HD movie first, then all new releases in SD.
                    That's a point I was trying to make too. I don't believe Netflix even offers either of these with instant view. They only have a limited sub-set of their titles available.

You can only watch what they make available. And I'm betting the cost factors MaxH mentions plays into it.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
                      That's a point I was trying to make too. I don't believe Netflix even offers either of these with instant view. They only have a limited sub-set of their titles available.

You can only watch what they make available. And I'm betting the cost factors MaxH mentions plays into it.
                      I seem to remember that this unlimited viewing is only available for a period of time. At least that was our conjecture as Netflix has to pay money for every download. So it's effectively a loss leader for them to get people hooked into a subscription plan and rent disks, etc. I doubt many people rent that much stuff as it's only computer watching AND it also is available for Windows only. Personally, I think this will change dramatically when they release their STB. Then I really doubt it's going to be "free" any longer.

On top of that, if you look at some of the other posts in the forums here, the Netflix plugin that downloads, will tend to overwrite all other DRM information on your machine and thereby invalidate any other DRM'd content you have from any other site. You have to then go to the providers of that content and ask for it to be re-authorized.

There's a lot of problems with their unlimited service and people looking for what would amount to a free lunch need to understand that there truly is no such thing as a free lunch.

Comment

I would be interested in such an offering only if we got the movies on Vudu the same time it was available on DVD for all the distribution companies.

If we could get it on Vudu at the same time it was released on DVD, I would of course pay a premium to have the movie via Vudu versus through snail mail. That being said, I would pay around $40 bucks to have unlimited or a pre-set number of movies per month. Until then, paying a premium to have unlimited viewing but still 30 days behind the DVDs doesn't thrill me.

Comment

Originally posted by agentvo View Post
                          I would be interested in such an offering only if we got the movies on Vudu the same time it was available on DVD for all the distribution companies.
                          Not going to happen for rentals any time soon. With the exception of Warner Brothers, all the studios want the 30 day window for rental after the DVD release. See my sticky on "Why can't I rent" or whatever it is titled for an in-depth look at this.

I agree with you that DVD, Electronic Sell Through (EST), and VOD should all be available the same day. But right now it is not. That is reality.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                            Not going to happen for rentals any time soon. With the exception of Warner Brothers, all the studios want the 30 day window for rental after the DVD release. See my sticky on "Why can't I rent" or whatever it is titled for an in-depth look at this.

I agree with you that DVD, Electronic Sell Through (EST), and VOD should all be available the same day. But right now it is not. That is reality.
                            I don't know if it was just me, but it seems that the commercials use to say "Available on DVD coming this Tuesday".

Now they all say "Now Available to Buy on DVD or Online coming this Tuesday"

Comment

Hopefully things change soon once someone high up at the studios join reality. I would like to see Cloverfield, but why would I buy it digitally for $20 when I could buy the disc for $16. Although for me I have no desire to buy any DVD so I will just either wait to rent it on VUDU or just not watch it at all until it comes out on one of the premium movie channels like Starz or HBO. Even though it's SD, if it was available to rent right now I would get it. I just wonder when the studios will realize that they can make more money by changing their current thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                                I just wonder when the studios will realize that they can make more money by changing their current thinking.
                                You are talking about the same industry that tried to make the VCR illegal. The Supreme Court decided that one by ONE vote. Think how much money the movie industry has made in the last 25 to 30 years on movie rentals and Video tape and now DVD sales. They were wrong then and they are wrong now. Problem is that their thinking has not changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X