Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Missing features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing features

Well, I'd like first to thank Vudu team for such a great product they created! I received my unit about 10 days ago and am quite happy with it after a week of active use and 6 movies rented.

Lack of WiFi connectivity, was the missing feature, I noticed first. I ended up connecting my Vudu through wireless, using a device, named Squeezebox as a wireless bridge. So, while important, lack of Wifi isn't a deal breaker for me. I know some other folks expressed the same concern.

I'd like to suggest addition of the following functionalities that, I believe, weren't discussed so far:

a. Audio/Video synchronization. Sound and the picture were in a perfect sync when both autio and video were streamed through analog outputs. However, I see noticeable de-synchronization after the video output is upgraded to HDMI (audio is still connected through analog stereo output). Having experimented with many DVD players I know that this issue is not that unusual. I've seen it in almost any of 6-7 DVD players tried in recent 2-3 years. Most of players (if not all of them) provide an on-screen control for manual adjustment of audio/video delay. Such a control would be very handy in Vudu

b. Calibration. Lots of folks who care about picture and sound quality use special calibration DVD disks that contain images and sounds records for proper adjustment brightness, contrast, tint, stereo balance etc. Two most recognized calibration DVDs are "Avia Guide to Home Theater" and "Digital Video Essentials". I have the Avia disk, but, unfortunately, can't use it with Vudu. My suggestion is either to provide special calibration screen in Vudu software or, even simpler, make calibration DVD(s) available for rental/purchase through Vudu.

Re: Missing features

Hey thanks for the comments..You should put a short blurb about these two items in the feature request thread.

I know WiFi is a hot item that people want. It can be problematic for streaming but it is something that appeals to a lot of the masses. Right now, obviously, it would require new hardware to have it built in and Vudu probably has bigger fish to fry at this point than designing a new box weeks after the first one shipped! But there have been people pointing out ideas of bundling USB WiFi adapters with the product and allowing software control from the Vudu of the adapter, etc. So your point is well taken.

As to the audio synch issue, that's interesting. I run everything through HDMI and I've never seen it as far as I can remember. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though. I am sure it can vary with different systems. A synch adjustment mechanism would be useful...

And finally, the calibration image idea is very good as well. Something I'd never thought of as I guess I have my system set the way I like it. But I can see how some people would want it.

Welcome to the fun!

Comment

Hey Na9d, if you run everything on HDMI you would not see it, he is using HDMI for video and still using the Analog for audio. I guess his tv does not have HDMI input and he is using an HDMI to DVI converter and DVI does not support sound.

Comment

Originally posted by cmunguia View Post
        Hey Na9d, if you run everything on HDMI you would not see it, he is using HDMI for video and still using the Analog for audio. I guess his tv does not have HDMI input and he is using an HDMI to DVI converter and DVI does not support sound.
        Ah, I get it...Yes, I could see there might be some synch issues that way. I misread it the first time. I thought he saw it with both audio through HDMI and audio through analog...

Comment

Well, we are sending audio and video out at the same time no matter what outputs you are using. It is not clear where the delay is being introduced. Can you tell me the specific hardware setup you have when you see the audio delay? An audio delay setting is a great feature for us to add, as who knows how many devices a user is going to pump his sound (and video for that matter) through before it gets to the ears.

Thanks,
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
            As to the audio synch issue, that's interesting. I run everything through HDMI and I've never seen it as far as I can remember. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though. I am sure it can vary with different systems. A synch adjustment mechanism would be useful...
            I think the problem in my case is due to different communication paths used for audio and video. In my setup, the video is streamed to the TV through HDMI. Audio is connected to my stereo system with external speakers through analog outputs (left and right channels).
            Your set up does not produce the symptoms since everything goes through HDMI.

And finally, the calibration image idea is very good as well. Something I'd never thought of as I guess I have my system set the way I like it. But I can see how some people would want it.
            Thanks. Hopefully, it won't take Vudu too long to implement it. Considering the price, Vudu is more appealing to high end users than medium and low segments of the market, where people are not as concerned with picture quality. I'd highly recommend visit avsforum.com to get a feel of the typical high end video consumer's mindset.

Welcome to the fun!

Comment

Hi Keith, thanks for a quick reply! I'm impressed with the responsiveness and your willing to step in and resolve the issue.

Originally posted by KeithO View Post
              Well, we are sending audio and video out at the same time no matter what outputs you are using. It is not clear where the delay is being introduced. Can you tell me the specific hardware setup you have when you see the audio delay?
              My setup consists of Vudu, Panasonic plasma screen (professional version with no speakers), Exposure stereo amplifier and a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce speakers.

Vudu is connected to the screen trough HDMI. Left and right channel audio outputs from Vudu are wired to the stereo amp, which, in turn, is connected to speakers.

Audio and video synchronization issues, I hears, are quite typical in this kind of set up. As I mentioned, I've seen it happen with similarly connected DVD players. avsforum.com, the place where many audio video enthusiasts meet, is full of similar stories involving DVD players.

Originally posted by KeithO View Post
              An audio delay setting is a great feature for us to add, as who knows how many devices a user is going to pump his sound (and video for that matter) through before it gets to the ears.
              Yes, I think it is quite a useful feautre. I also think that more video controls couldn't hurt - it is not very unusual for screens not to offer brightness, tint, contrast etc. controls - having them in the source is then the only resort. I've read stories when people decided not to use certain video source simply because of that. It is clear that PQ-concerned people are minority in the ultimate customer base, but they very well may be the early majority that will help Vudu to cross the casem.

Good luck!

Comment

Please don't be offended by this, but why are you using stereo audio hookups? It sounds like you have a fairly high end system so why not using toslink or coax for the audio? And does your TV have an optical output for audio? If so, it may likely loop the HDMI audio back out through that output and into your receiver. My TV does that and until I recently purchased my Denon AV-2808CI, I operated in that fashion...

Comment

Please don't be offended by this, but why are you using stereo audio hookups? It sounds like you have a fairly high end system so why not using toslink or coax for the audio? And does your TV have an optical output for audio? If so, it may likely loop the HDMI audio back out through that output and into your receiver. My TV does that and until I recently purchased my Denon AV-2808CI, I operated in that fashion...
                  NA9D,
                  Thanks for the comments and my apologies for a late reply (was quite loaded at work lately). No offence is taken. You made a very good point.

Unfortunately, I can't take advantage of your advice due to lack of a receiver and lack of audio capability on my TV screen. As I mentinoed earlier, the TV is a professional model that does not have any audio support.

But, i n any case, thanks for the recommendation.

All the best!

Comment

How do we know if any new features have been added besides looking at the updated version. Vudu shoud add a new features icon in the settings info so that we can see the new features, if any. that are being implemented.
                    Last edited by Nded; 10-28-2007, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mag12203 View Post
                      How do we know if any new features have been added besides looking at the updated version. Vudu shoud add a new features icon in the settings info so that we can see the new features, if any. that are being implemented.
                      No new features have been added yet. It will certainly be announced here. We have asked for some sort of "mail" or messaging system to be added to the boxes as well (but no guarantee that that will happen).

Comment

Originally posted by htumanyan View Post
                        b. Calibration. Lots of folks who care about picture and sound quality use special calibration DVD disks that contain images and sounds records for proper adjustment brightness, contrast, tint, stereo balance etc. Two most recognized calibration DVDs are "Avia Guide to Home Theater" and "Digital Video Essentials". I have the Avia disk, but, unfortunately, can't use it with Vudu. My suggestion is either to provide special calibration screen in Vudu software or, even simpler, make calibration DVD(s) available for rental/purchase through Vudu.
                        New user here- I was looking for this on the box, didn't find it, so checked here and found this old thread. Calibration screens are a must for analog, and can even impove HDMI depending on what processing is going on. Avia or DVE would be great- DVE is also available in HD now- might be an even better way to go. At least some screens to allow us to set correct black and white levels. . .

Thanks

Markd

Comment

CES

Comment

Originally posted by fijidaddy View Post
                            CES
                            Yes, CES is coming. It will be the first CES that Vudu is at with a released product (not even sure they were there last year). OK, I'm assuming Vudu is going to be at CES (it would be pretty bad if they weren't).

Vudu is going to want to make a splash and a name for themselves. So, I think we can expect some good stuff!

Comment

Well, Vudu is going to be at CES (http://www.vudu.com/aboutus_ces.html), so let's hope they make some annoucements

Comment

Working...
                              X