Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

happy to be a member, many questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

happy to be a member, many questions...

I am very excited to be a member of the vudu family and im sorry if i talk about stuff that has already been discussed but i have many questions. 10,000 movie catalog and 1,000 HD titles by mid oct. ???? does anyone see this happening? my movies available has gone down since i have owned my box (about 5 days). The biggest issue I have is no 1080p/60 with 480i and 480p being available I think vudu creaters missed the boat here. Also i have read many threads about people making exscuses for their own tvs only doing 1080i and how it upconverts to the same resolution as 1080/24, if it doesnt do native 1080p/24 no upconversion is the same thing as the real thing, that is why the real thing costs more and is newer. maybe vudu brass can answer this question as to maybe there is a firmware update planned? thank you for your help.

Re: happy to be a member, many questions...

Hi Bobbaddd,

Welcome to the Vudu forum - glad you have joined our family.

1) Yes, I believe you will see a 10K title catalog and 1000+ HD titles VERY SOON.

2) The 1080 debate (p vs i vs 30 vs 60 vs 24) has been beaten to death. Consumers don't seem to understand that there is no movie content existing anywhere that was recorded at 1080p/60. The best content source today are originally captured at 1080p/24, and that looks best viewed in that format - not really debatable.

So, what is your home theater setup like?

Comment

I work at Best Buy so I see it all and I like a majority of HDTV owners from about 2003 - 2007 own a tv that only displays 1080p at 60 frames. also have a moniter that accepts DVI and the vudu box does not recognize 1080p thru HDMI to DVI either (ps3 does and looks awesome on my 24" gateway moniter). How about yourself?

Comment

not trying to debate that 1080p/24 is better or not i know for a fact that movies are better at that I just want to make the best of the tech. that most of us have and that is 1080p/60. All of your bluray players out there operate like that and looks far better than any 1080i signal.

Comment

Have you been reading any of the forums on AVS about 1080i vs. 1080p. From my perspective both look identical since they are driving 1,920 x 1,080 pixels.

There Is No Difference Between 1080p and 1080i as far as movies are concerned. Movies (and most TV shows) are shot at 24 frames per second (either on film or on 24-frame-per-second HD cameras). Every TV that was sold in the United States had a refresh rate of 60 hertz. This means that the screen refreshes 60 times per second. In order to display 24-frame-per-second content on a display that essentially shows 60 frames per second, you need to make up or create new frames. This is accomplished by a method called 3:2 pulldown (or, more accurately, 2:3 pulldown). It doubles the first frame of film, triples the second frame, doubles the third frame, and so on, creating a 2-3-2-3-2-3 sequence. So, the new frames don't have new information; they are just duplicates of the original film frames. This process converts 24-frame-per-second film to be displayed on a 60-Hz display.

Now the problem here is that judder is introduced and can been seen on large screens with 3:2 pulldown when the camera slowly pans and that is why 1080p/24 is tecnically better.

Comment

Just use 1080i and be happy with it. The PQ is identical.

1080i/30 = two sets of 30 frames per second = 60 frames per second
            1080p/60 = 1 set of 60 frames per second.

The 1080p/60 move by TV manufacturers was nothing really more than a marketing ploy and offers no real advantage.

Comment

I will have to disagree I see a big difference between 1080i and 1080p/60 and I also understand the common customer when the box says 1080p they expect to set it to 1080p on their TV or it goes back to the store. The common person (not the online tech nerd part time hacker) the person who will pay for the best if they feel like they are getting what they are paying for does not want technical excuses about it being the same quality. That is why employees given a huge discount on store brand cables and given big but not as big of discount on monster cables will still buy monster because they are still better cables. And the same excuse that you are paying only for the name when you get a sony!!! and rice crispies are the same as rice crisp ??? all excuses that people that are cheap make up for themselves.

Comment

Well then we disagree because the conversion is done internally to the TV w/o loss of quality. Vudu's not the only people that make this claim either.

Where the real benefit of 1080p comes in is when you have a 120Hz refresh rate and can show 24 fps.

Monster cables are no better than the ones I can buy for $5.00 at Monoprice.com. People buy them because the marketing is very good and very slick. Take it from someone with a background in electrical engineering: They aren't worth the price.

Buying a Sony is a different beast (well, it has been) than the concept of a 1080p/60 TV. When it came to tube sets, Sony had a far better capability and technology. Then they let themselves fall all to heck for a few years and were no better than any other bottom of the barrel brand. Now they've improved quite a bit and have some good display technology again.

A bad sales person is one who will sell someone gullible enough a $95 cable when a $5.00 one will do...

Comment

Is a fake gucci purse the same as a real one ? Is a Steve and Barry shirt the same quality as a polo? Is a fake rolex the same as the real one ? If i were to send you a free HDMI cable which would like me to send you a Monster or one of your $5.00 cables ??? what brand of TV do you own ?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbaddd View Post
                    Is a fake gucci purse the same as a real one ? Is a Steve and Barry shirt the same quality as a polo? Is a fake rolex the same as the real one ? If i were to send you a free HDMI cable which would like me to send you a Monster or one of your $5.00 cables ??? what brand of TV do you own ?
                    Completely different.

People buy a Gucci purse not because it's any better than a purse from JC Penny. They buy it because first of all, they can afford it and there's a status in the name and saying you have a Gucci purse. It's a designer item.

Monster claims that their cables are so much better than anyone else's have superior image quality. Balderdash. A digital image is a digital image and if it is received at the receiving end with enough signal level to decode it, you get 100% picture quality with zero degredation. I don't care if my $5.00 mono price cable has 3 dB of loss and the Monster has 2.5 dB of loss. It doesn't make a difference. It's not the same as with analog signals. And the cost for a monster cable is simply not worth the price - there's no value in it. A Gucci has some level of value because while it might be a lot more expensive, the construction is potentially better. That said, it's still generally not worth it.

People buy monster cables because they are gullible enough to believe that they will make a big difference in their picture. It's like the gal at another stereo store told me once that I needed to buy a power regulator and I would automatically get a 20% better picture on my set. Hmm..how do you quantify "20% better" particularly when it comes to a digital signal...You either get it all or you get none of it.

Best Buy loves selling Monster cables to gullible people because people buy them and the markup is huge. Employee price for a $100 cable is about $25 or so and employees buy at either cost or slightly above (I know because a relative of my wife works at BestBuy).

Monster made a name for themselves and did a good job with speaker cable - I do use Monster speaker cable because I got a good deal on it and when dealing with audio in the analog realm and long runs, frequency response and insertion loss of the cable are important. But in the digital realm with a signal traveling 6 feet - it's not very important at all. Even in analog signals for audio and video, the difference in performance between a $50 monster cable and a $5.00 cable from Rat Shack isn't all that much different. The physics is just not there. Now, if I had to run 50 or 100 feet of cable, I'd want something of higher quality for sure.

And for that free cable, you can save your money and send me the $5.00 one - I really don't care. I'm proud to say that there's no Monster HDMI cables in my system.

TV: LG 50PC1DR and yes, purchased from Best Buy w/o an extended warranty. The factory warranty was good enough as my mother board went out and I got it replaced for no charge. Now the TV's out of warranty but the odds of it needing $400 relpacement in the next 2 years is slim...

Comment

why is it that everything is equal and the only people that understand this are the people that chat online ? nothing that is more expensive is ever better than anything else?? Just something for people to think about. Hopefully no hard feelings I look forward to the road ahead with vudu and all its members.

Comment

Because I have a degree in engineering and understand losses in cables and the mathematics of it all.

Higher cost is not always mo betta.

Comment

LOL, .....good luck to you my friend on your next 3 years. I do work at Best buy and some times have to replace 3 TVs in the same day from service issues. Even If you could improve your picture quality 5% i would think you would get a power filter. It was nice debate my friend.

Comment

2 years. The BB warranty only covered a total of 4 years (or was it 3?). Given that the BB warranty was $400, and given that I've already replaced one of the most expensive components on my TV (replacement cost is something like $200), I think I'll come out ahead...

LOL indeed.

And please provide a technical explanation on how I can get a 5% better picture on a digital signal. :-)

Comment

BB is for 4 years, what if lightning takes out your set in 2 years? Also even cheap companies make power filters. I do give you a lot of credit for going out on a limb and buying a Vudu. someone that is as cost savy as yourself sounds like you would be a netflix guy? That is a very nice model of LG as well, the only thing it is missing is the 1080p and the kitchen sink. Does that DVR work well ? I have a Kdl55a2020 , panasonic 42" 720p plasma, Gateway LP2407, and the good old 34" trinitron xbr tube HDTV.

Comment

Working...
                              X