Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu's HD selection now outnumbers Apple TV's, Blu-ray might be next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vudu's HD selection now outnumbers Apple TV's, Blu-ray might be next

Originally posted by mebby View Post
    I think you misunderstood my statement (maybe). I have zero interest in paying for that content. What I was mainly talking about was enabling the box to stream MY personal content from other computers or network drives on my home network. Mainly of interest here is the ability to play back home videos of the kids and also my library of owned DVD's that I've backed up to a network drive.
    So it sounds like you're asking for "Media Center" capabilities (i.e.shared Music, Video, Pictures)??

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
      So it sounds like you're asking for "Media Center" capabilities (i.e.shared Music, Video, Pictures)??
      I just set up a couple of XBox 360s as media extenders today. It would be a great feature to add to Vudu but I wasn't very impressed with the UI on the XBox for that. The combination of vertical and horizontal scrolling just isn't appealing. Hopefully if Vudu ever does add it, they come up with something better.

Comment

Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
          I just set up a couple of XBox 360s as media extenders today. It would be a great feature to add to Vudu but I wasn't very impressed with the UI on the XBox for that. The combination of vertical and horizontal scrolling just isn't appealing. Hopefully if Vudu ever does add it, they come up with something better.
          I've tried the Xbox 360 as a media center as well and I thought it was pretty horrible. The interface is bad enough but then you have to deal with the noise and the limited codec support.

The best thing I've found so far is XBMC on either a modded Xbox or a PC. They also now have versions for Mac and Linux. You can also install it on an Apple TV.

XBMC has a killer interface and will play darn near anything you throw at it. It's also highly customizable. I've got my modded Xbox to where you can hit "Kids DVDs" or "DVDs" (Adult DVD's just didn't sound right ) on my Harmony remote and it will take you directly to those libraries. My 3 year old can use it seamlessly. I've also got activities on the remote for Weather, Photos, Home Videos, and Music (although that was just b/c I could - I use my Sonos for music).

It's really slick.

I'm now trying to get it up and running on my Vista machine but I'm having difficulty logging the IR commands due to the fact that EventGhost doesn't yet fully work with Vista. Once I get that ironed out I'll be using my PC just like my modded Xbox.

Comment

That sounds like a pretty nice setup. For things hooked up to my TV, I prefer to avoid having to do my own mods to anything. I don't mind configuring it within what the supported functionality is. I just don't like to hack anything. I really want an STB that can do it and do it well. What do you think Vudu's chances are for incorporating this functionality and doing it well? I'm hoping they do because I don't want another STB.

Comment

I never put anything hacked or modded in the primary viewing area in my house. If something goes wrong I am the tech support

Comment

I'm all for expanding the vudu box into a Media Center for ones own personal content to be used on the vudu box. That is definately a natural evolution it would seem, if done in a appropriate way as not to detract from its main purpose of being a Movie/TV solution.

Comment

Originally posted by mebby View Post
                  I've tried the Xbox 360 as a media center as well and I thought it was pretty horrible. The interface is bad enough but then you have to deal with the noise and the limited codec support.
                  The noise is enough of a turn-off for me to ever consider using my Xbox360 for anything other then games. Personally, I'm not a fan of the XBox interface, but I do think it is better then the PS3 interface. However, I would never use it as a media center.

Comment

I like PS3 interface (XMB) much better than blades on 360, but obviously 360's interface is getting a major overhaul in a couple of weeks....

Anyway, I've argued tirelessly that VUDU needs to become a media extender if it wants to compete AppleTV, TiVo, and gaming systems. External storage, TV shows, and media extender functionality would be my top 3 suggestions.

Comment

Clarification: VUDU's HD "Rental" selection outnumbers everyone else.

Why is it that if you use the "Filter" option of the Vudu movie library and search on the criteria of:

HD = YES
                      Buy = YES

It returns about 450-500 movies?

I can understand if the query said:

SD = YES
                      Buy = YES

But I'm asking it for "HD" only AND "Can BUY" only....it's an AND statement, not an OR statement. Back to basics...

Am I missing something?

Comment

The studios don't allow HD purchases at this time - it's rental only for HD content.

That search result is because you can't do complicated boolean searches.

A search for HD "and" PURCHASE "without" SD would reveal 1 title right now.

Searching for HD alone reveals 1183 titles.

Comment

Originally posted by rstone View Post
                          The noise is enough of a turn-off for me to ever consider using my Xbox360 for anything other then games. Personally, I'm not a fan of the XBox interface, but I do think it is better then the PS3 interface. However, I would never use it as a media center.

The 360 works great as a Media Center Extender.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                            I really don't like the interface to it. I hope Vudu can do better if they embark down that path.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                              That phasgorzmic Directv service does it even better.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                                I really don't like the interface to it. I hope Vudu can do better if they embark down that path.
                                As a media center extender it's stuck with the interface from my windows machines. I rarely use it anymore since I can use my HDTiVos to watch most of the content I have now, and for audio I usually use my Squeeze boxes.
                                I've yet to find a device that handles everything well enough to only use that device for everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X