Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Test patterns, are they on the short list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test patterns, are they on the short list?

I am convinced after watching Hellboy 2 tonight that the black crush I'm seeing is due to the fact that my Fujitsu was calibrated to work with another HD output device.

I have had my Fuji professionally calibrated by an ISF certified technician, which of course requires loading up a DVD and generating a test pattern.

Can Vudu provide a way to show a test pattern from the advanced screen? I would think this is a very easy upgrade to the software. As of now dark scenes are totaly crushed on my monitor. I could have my ISF guy come and we could load up a film that he is familiar with and he could calibrate that way, but I think that would still be somewhat hackish compared to what should be done for this display.

Re: Test patterns, are they on the short list?

I've seen a few posts complaining about the black crush but even after watching some very dark movies like Pitch Black and The Strangers I've yet to see it. I can only conclude that I've been lucky with LCD calibration (last time I calibrated it was when I bought my Oppo DVD player).

Test patterns sound like a very good idea. A few static images accessible from the set up screen. Instructions could be placed in the online faq or here in the forums for the uninitiated (or for those like me who have just forgotten!)

Comment

It's interesting. I've never calibrated my plasma display. I've yet to see any of the black crush that people (not just you) have stated on an HDX encode. in fact, the only people who have said they have seen it are people who have had their monitors calibrated...

Don't get me wrong - a calibration video should indeed be part of the permanent library on Vudu - no question about it. I just find it interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
        It's interesting. I've never calibrated my plasma display. I've yet to see any of the black crush that people (not just you) have stated on an HDX encode. in fact, the only people who have said they have seen it are people who have had their monitors calibrated...

Don't get me wrong - a calibration video should indeed be part of the permanent library on Vudu - no question about it. I just find it interesting.
        Yeah its going to vary widely by manufacturer and model. Even one manufacturer from year to year will ship the sets with different defaults.

Comment

Originally posted by jokeysmurf View Post
          Yeah its going to vary widely by manufacturer and model. Even one manufacturer from year to year will ship the sets with different defaults.
          You obviously missed my point. Let me make it a little more pointed:

- You spent, I don't know how much to have your TV professionally calibrated.

- I spent ZERO dollars to have my screen calibrated and set the colors and all to the way I like them.

- You have black crush issues with the HDX movies.

- I have no such issues with any source.

Ergo: Does calibration really help?

Comment

My professionally calibrated sets are fine.

I try to get my main set calibrated once a year. Although last year I had 3 visits. One for my Toshiba DLP and two for my Samsung LED DLP.

Since my first professional calibration in 2001, I consider it a requirement for my main viewing display.

Comment

......snip......

I would think this depends on a number of factors:

1) The quality and "calibratability" of the device in question.

2) The skills/talents/tools of the professional involved.

3) The eye of the beholder.

Comment

- I spent ZERO dollars to have my screen calibrated and set the colors and all to the way I like them.

- You have black crush issues with the HDX movies.

- I have no such issues with any source.

Of course it helps. But the fact that your TV is the way you like it suggests that you are not interested in seeing the films as the director and cinematographer had intended them to be seen. I don't know what kind of TV you have, but starting with that data point, your ability to actually see films as intended for theater will vary wildly. I am interested in precision film reproduction as part of my viewing experience. You might not care, and simply want to see films with sharp detail, a better experience than your p-scan DVD player. For me that is not nearly enough.

So ISF helps, but every TV must be calibrated against each separate input. That means if you have a PS3, a Vudu, a cablebox and a Toshiba HD-DVD player, four inputs require separate changes in your TV's color calibration menu. That is because all four devices treat color differently. If you lack black crush in your current setup, I can gaurantee you the rest of your PQ is off in some other respect that you probably don't notice, and therefore believe to be insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by jokeysmurf View Post
                  -I don't know what kind of TV you have, but starting with that data point, your ability to actually see films as intended for theater will vary wildly.
                  This is what Shultzy watches HDX movies on.

This is what Shultzy uses for Instant HD viewing.

That's why he's not sure if he should have them calibrated or not.

Comment

No Hodge, it's a big Zenith Console with vacuum tubes.

For the record: my TV is a 50" LG plasma.

And I don't doubt calibration is effective and gives a better picture. No question. My point is simply that the people who have complained about black levels with Vudu are the people who have their sets professionally calibrated. I am very sensitive to black level and depth of detail (which is why I went plasma over LCD for one thing). On HDX, I have never seen what has been talked about.

I would suggest that if getting down to the "film" quality is as important as you say, then I would get the Vudu input professionally calibrated.

Comment

No Hodge, it's a big Zenith Console with vacuum tubes.

For the record: my TV is a 50" LG plasma.

And I don't doubt calibration is effective and gives a better picture. No question. My point is simply that the people who have complained about black levels with Vudu are the people who have their sets professionally calibrated. I am very sensitive to black level and depth of detail (which is why I went plasma over LCD for one thing). On HDX, I have never seen what has been talked about.

I would suggest that if getting down to the "film" quality is as important as you say, then I would get the Vudu input professionally calibrated.
                      This could suggest, if the number of cases is statistically significant (which I doubt, since we're talking about a few people that you've noticed), is that the Vudu is by default outputting its colors quite differently than the norm of other HD devices.

It calls for too much speculation and is sort of useless. Until Vudu provides a calibration pattern, there is not much true calibration that we could do.

Comment

During a calibration you typically have the TV calibrated for your main source. In my case it was my Blu-ray Disc player. Then all my other sources are adjusted through my external video processor. So the calibrator checks the other sources and does the adjustments from the scaler. For something like the VUDU he puts a signal generator on that input then actually looks at the content to make adjustments since there are no test patterns to use.

Worst case if i don't feel things look right from the VUDU I can make adjustments in my video processor, but the 8 titles I've watched this past week have all looked fine.

Comment

Well, to bring this thread ever so slightly back to the original topic...

Sounds like a good candidate to add to VUDU Labs (no further comment )

In the mean time, you can always upload whatever images you want to a Picasa or Flickr album... (try "jcpage" on the Picasa app for an example - ignore the other album, unless you really like random vacation photos of Big Sur...)

I'll move those to the "VUDU Demo" account once I track down whoever created it... any suggestions on useful additions?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                            Well, to bring this thread ever so slightly back to the original topic...

In the mean time, you can always upload whatever images you want to a Picasa or Flickr album... (try "jcpage" on the Picasa app for an example - ignore the other album, unless you really like random vacation photos of Big Sur...)

I'll move those to the "VUDU Demo" account once I track down whoever created it... any suggestions on useful additions?
                            If possible, I would vote for additionally some sort of DD5.1 audio test, to verify the proper operation of each speaker, proper volume adjustments, and possibly proper speaker phase.

My BR player had something like that as an option in it's setup process. But I've sold my BR player after buying VUDU and now have nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                              It would be great if they were included in Vudu labs and someone wrote up a good how to article on how to use them via the Vudu.

Comment

Working...
                              X