Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Great Technology, Promising Value, Silly Marketing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Technology, Promising Value, Silly Marketing

I received my Vudu box about 2 months ago. The device was very easy to set up. The remote control, the user interface, and the instant playback created a WOW effect. Basically, awesome technology and packaging. Way to go guys.

At this time, Vudu's value proposition is questionable. I subscribe to Comcast On Demand and have a hard time figuring out why I paid $399 for Vudu when Comcast delivers a richer set of new releases (albeit with a much worse user experience and not nearly as many older titles). I also hate the fact that when I "buy" a movie, the contents stay resident to the Vudu box and cannot be ported to a DVD player.

The day when I can watch any TV show or any newly released title in the theaters is the day when Vudu delivers unquestionable consumer value. There is probably a happy medium somewhere between where Vudu is today and what I would like to see eventually - so Vudu's value proposition is questionable now but promising.

What is up with your marketing program, guys? Take a look at this email from Patrick Cosson, Vudu's VP of Marketing:
    Dear VUDU customer,

At VUDU, we seek to surprise our customers and today is no exception!

I am pleased to announce that starting Nov 23rd, and for a limited time, VUDU will offer an amazing bonus to its existing and future customers: your VUDU box now includes permanent copies of The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy in HD -- a $50 value!

In addition, beginning December 11th, you will be able to purchase The Bourne Ultimatum in HD for $24.99. You won't need to run to the video store or wait in line on release day for the ultimate action thriller.

I encourage you to take advantage of this unique opportunity and to tell your friends about VUDU before the Holidays.

Enjoy,

Patrick

---
    Patrick Cosson
    VP of Marketing
    VUDU, Inc.
    My first question: Did Patrick read his own statement, or does he not have a good command of English?
    ... starting Nov 23rd, and for a limited time, VUDU will offer an amazing bonus to its existing and future customers: your VUDU box now includes permanent copies of ...
    Is it "for a limited time," or is it "permanent?" In a rare show of skill, Patrick manages to contradict himself in the same sentence. Also, why not just say "VUDU will offer an amazing bonus" and end the sentence there? Maybe Patrick is trying to distinguish present and future customers from past customers, but I doubt that past customers really care.

My second question: Why would Patrick think that I would wait in line for any movie?
    beginning December 11th, you will be able to purchase The Bourne Ultimatum ... you won't need to run to the video store or wait in line
    I do not think movie studios would create a shortage of the DVD, lest they want to encourage pirating. Clearly, either Patrick thinks his customers are very unsophisticated or he does not understand what consumer value is.

My third question: Does Patrick really think that he is my buddy as the tone of his email suggests?
    I encourage you to take advantage of this unique opportunity and to tell your friends about VUDU before the Holidays.

Enjoy,

Patrick
    Give me a break already. You lost me in the first sentence Pat, so why should I pay attention to anything else you have to say?

I suspect that Mr. Cosson's biggest sin is not understanding consumer value. This explains why he makes such superlatively silly statements as "you won't need to run to the video store or wait in line" while ignoring the true values and innovations that Vudu has at this time. What are those? Look at the smiley face above: It is the remote control, the user interface, and the instant playback.

Dear Mr. Cosson: Next time, before bothering to spam me with faux-friendly and sloppy messages, put some thought into what should be communicated and how. For example, a professional email with an embedded Flash demo that demonstrates the elegance of the remote control and the user interface, and the wow effect of the instant playback of an HD Bourne movie would have gone much further.

Re: Great Technology, Promising Value, Silly Marketing

Jasper,

Welcome to Vudu.

The movies are complimentary and permanent. But this "free" offer is only for a "limited time." So if you decide not to take advantage of the offer, there will be a point at which you will have to pay for or rent them.

And in terms of waiting in line, it's very possible these days. December 11th is right at the height of the Christmas season. Retailers like BestBuy or CircuitCity, etc. will indeed have lines. Maybe not to buy the Bourne movie, but they will have lines.

I think it makes perfect sense...

Comment

Welcome to the Vudu Forum Jasper. Wow, 2 months before you found us. I'm curious where you bought your Vudu, and why it took so long for you to get linked up with the forum. Did you order it directly over the internet, and if so, what marketing material impressed you enough to make the investment?

Comment

Hi NDed,

I have friends who work at VUDU - so I got it bought the box to see what they were up to. The quality of the UI does not surprise me given the strong Tivo DNA in the company. In other words, I expect quality from these guys.

However, I got upset when I read Patrick's message. It seemed sloppy and hurriedly written - and not up to the standards of the rest of the Vudu experience. Hence, my impetus to join the forum and voice my opinion.

Jasper

Comment

It seems like just about any other marketing type email I have ever received. Personally, I found it easy to understand, even the concept of a limited time offer to permanently own copies of the movies. I'm not saying that it couldn't have been worded better but I have certainly seen worse. Maybe they have an opening at Vudu in their marketing department that you might be a good fit for.

Comment

Jasper,
            I think you made some good comments related to the strengths of the Vudu. I don't fully agree with you on the "value proposition" though. I think everyone knows/expects that the price is too high at this point and will fall as it gains market penetration. That's just the normal life cycle of almost every electronic device that hits the market.

I don't really understand your rant on Patrick's email. I personally thought it was just fine. I wasn't confused in the least and I think that your grammatical analysis of it was a little off base. Of course I can't help but apply the same logic to your email so here goes:
            "... so I got it bought the box to see what they were up to."
            So did you "get it" our buy it? Did the device fall into your lap as a mantra from heavan or did you walk yourself to some retail outlet and purchase it? In a rare show of skill you've managed to contradict yourself in the same sentence.

I'm just picking on you buddy (oops - I can't be your buddy as you've already shown sensitivity to that)...

OK seriously... just picking on you. I think you made some good points, but I couldn't hold back my sarcasm. I just think your rant on the email was a little over the top. I was very happy to receive the email and I think that Vudu was very smart in their "marketing" to seed our boxes with two free HD movies.

Comment

I don't think the marketing dept is up to the standards of the design/tech dept - not quite as polished... IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
                I don't think the marketing dept is up to the standards of the design/tech dept - not quite as polished... IMHO
                I don't know. I think it's a pretty brilliant marketing strategy that they have done with the Bourne HD movies. Let's think about it.

- They've introduced HD with some very good and very popular movies - The Bourne Trilogy
                - They've given all current and for a limited time new owners of the box 2 free HD movies
                - The third movie will go on sale in early December and be available for purchase on Vudu.

Now, how many of us would buy any of the Bourne movies on our boxes if we had to pay for them? Not many of us. How many would rent them? Well, I'd say a lot of people would rent the movies. Let's say everyone rents all 3 movies at say $4.00 each (I don't know what HD rentals will go for). That's $12.00 in revenue from each user for the movies.

Now, Vudu has given us the first two movies. How many people that have taken them up on the first two are now going to not buy the third movie. Why have just two parts of a trilogy on your box when you can have all 3. So my bet is that most people who took advantage of the 2 free movies offer will also buy the third. That's $25.00 in revenue. By giving away two free movies, Vudu has doubled the revenue stream per user.

I think it's a pretty darn good marketing scheme. Very brilliant...Maybe not as good as Starbucks but brilliant nonetheless (and 15 years ago who would have ever considered paying $4.00 for some coffee and hot milk!).

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                  Now, Vudu has given us the first two movies. How many people that have taken them up on the first two are now going to not buy the third movie. Why have just two parts of a trilogy on your box when you can have all 3. So my bet is that most people who took advantage of the 2 free movies offer will also buy the third. That's $25.00 in revenue. By giving away two free movies, Vudu has doubled the revenue stream per user.
                  I must admit, I really don't want to buy movies on the Vudu. However, I did take them up on the bonus offer. We watched "The Bourne Supremacy" last night and were blown away with both the video and the sound. We are going to watch the second one tonight. Then, I actually do think I will buy the 3rd one. There is something inside of me that doesn't like incomplete sets of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                    I must admit, I really don't want to buy movies on the Vudu. However, I did take them up on the bonus offer. We watched "The Bourne Supremacy" last night and were blown away with both the video and the sound. We are going to watch the second one tonight. Then, I actually do think I will buy the 3rd one. There is something inside of me that doesn't like incomplete sets of anything.
                    I hope you watched Bourne Identity first...

Supremacy is the 2nd movie...

And yeah, I think you'll be like a lot of people. You will readily take free stuff, but then you don't want the incomplete set so you'll buy the third. It's human nature in both instances, and any marketing campaign that is able to exploit human nature is brilliant..

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      I hope you watched Bourne Identity first...
                      I watched the one that said it came out earlier. I don't remember what the name was. I may have got that wrong. It was the one where he wakes up on a boat after being shot in the back twice, and doesn't remember anything. Was that the right one?

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                        I watched the one that said it came out earlier. I don't remember what the name was. I may have got that wrong. It was the one where he wakes up on a boat after being shot in the back twice, and doesn't remember anything. Was that the right one?
                        Yes. You watched it correctly then!

Whew! It would have ruined everything to get them out of order...

Comment

Yeah, the shot in the back is the first movie.

Comment

I like complete sets too, unfortunately I hated the 3rd movie and won't be buying it. I don't like the ever-popular style of jerking the camera around to simulate more action. The non-stop chaos was a bit much for me. I agree that this was a nice marketing move by Vudu.

I hope that the Lord of the Rings trilogy becomes available someday, beautifully filmed movies - and seeing them in HD would be something ... I would buy all three of those ...

Comment

Working...
                            X