Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Fox to deliver movies via Itunes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fox to deliver movies via Itunes...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/91d21b3c-b...nclick_check=1

Hmm...looks like the IP based movie delivery business will be getting hot. I am assuming that the apple TV box will be getting an upgrade.

How will this impact Vudu? I wonder if the splash that Jobs will make with this at Macworld will be the tide that will lift all the boats in this sea, with the increased attention on this kind of movie delivery lifting the Vudu profile as well as apple? Kind of a halo effect?

I think that there are a few important factors for Vudu to consider with this announcement:
    • The $399 list on the box will need to come down to compete with Apple
    • Somehow Vudu has got to have the same release dates for rentals as Apple. I didn't get a sense of whether the movies on apple will be for rental or for purchase, but it did sound like day and date with DVD release. Vudu should get the same release schedule.
    • I know this isn't core to the product but Apple does have photo, music and video display from the local network. Unless Vudu can lower the price of the box below apple tv, then it will need to have these features also.
    • Push the HD content. I didn't get a sense if Apple will have HD to start, but it didn't sound like it. HD is a KILLER app for us big screen owners.
    I am reallly excited to see this arena heating up. I think Vudu is well placed to compete and win if they can ramp it up quickly and control costs.

Thanks,
    -Alex-

Re: Fox to deliver movies via Itunes...

One thing that very well may be the tipping point in Apple's favor is the ability to download digital versions of purchased Fox DVDs. This is absolutely huge and something vudu needs to look into.
    http://www.blitzkit.com - for Oatmeal, Hot Cereal and Whole Food lovers

http://www.rushingaround.com - My webpage

Comment

I thought that the downloads would be for PMP's such as the Ipod. Lower bitrate and resolution?
      -Alex-

Comment

Actually, you won't download digital versions of purchased DVDs. From what I read, the DVD's will have FairPlay built into them that will allow them to be ripped. Very cool.

And this is good news for Vudu. The more the download market gets revved up the better. If the studios can see good revenue from this, then it will loosen things up.

And yes, the Fox videos will be RENTABLE on iTunes. It's a big deal, but I think good.

also - moving this thread to the general forum...

Comment

Hmm...looks like the early pundits are betting that this will be great for Apple and Fox but everyone else will suffer...

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2007/12/...sers-aapl.html

I have my doubts for these predictions. Here are some reasons..
          • apple will still need to overcome the hardware gap for the living room. No one is buying apple tv and without it, there won't be much beyond an ipod/laptop delivery. I still don't see viewing full length movies on a PMP as much of a market. Apple MUST convince users to buy apple tv or this will be a non-starter. Remember, Apple is first and foremost a hardware company. They use software to drive hardware sales and to lock you into their product cycles. Without the hardware gizmos in living rooms to drive Apple Ivideo it isn't going to fly.
          • Itunes and apple's stranglehold on the audio market gives many content companies pause that they may repeat the same for the video delivery market. I think that the studios dread having a repeat of the Itunes audio success as it would give Apple way to much control of the distribution channel. They would prefer to have several providers, including their own service.
          • Delivery is still going to be client/server as far as I can tell and that means a delay between ordering your movie and watching it. Unless their is some plans to spread the movies out among clients (like Vudu) this will stymie adoption
          • Apple (as will Vudu) face competition from Blu-Ray/HD DVD and DVD as well as cable and the theaters. They aren't going to eliminate these and will face VERY stiff competition from them. They will not be able to repeat the Iphone or Ipod success in this market. And yes, I know that people said the same about the Iphone, but that market was ripe for innovation and their was total hype in the runup for the "jesus" phone. Unless a new piece of hardware or a MAJOR revamping of the Itunes software and interface is coming, their is no "gee-whiz" gizmo coming with this announcement. We have seen both Apple tv and Itunes and we know the animal. This service and the hardware are not breaking new ground and that in its self won't drive people to purchase more Apple products.
          I think that Vudu is in a much better position for success. They have solid hardware and software. They have HD. They have instant viewing. They have the catalog of titles ready to go. If they can work on the price of the hardware, release dates, the rental times and add media center functionality (even basic) they can beat apple.

Just one man's opinion.
          -Alex-
          Last edited by bairda; 12-27-2007, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Can you browse and buy things directly from the Apple TV box or do you have to do it from your computer using iTunes? I like the Vudu way much better. Of course, having it on your computer would make sharing the movie on multiple Apple TV boxes easier.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
              Can you browse and buy things directly from the Apple TV box or do you have to do it from your computer using iTunes? I like the Vudu way much better. Of course, having it on your computer would make sharing the movie on multiple Apple TV boxes easier.
              Unknown. Right now on AppleTV the only internet streaming is from YouTube or TV Show Previews and Movie Trailers from the iTunes store. The "download to computer first" could be eliminated though with a simple software change.

As to Apple and the music business, I take exception to bairda's comments that Apple controls this. They really don't. All they control is the content on ITMS and lock it to their device. However, in a DRM free world as Apple has requested, any device could use ITMS DRM free songs as long as the device supports AAC (a publicly available codec). ITMS has been so successful because it has done what no other site has: It has been simple for people to purchase songs and play them back w/o a subscription. That's why the iPod and iTMS has taken off.

Vudu could do much the same if it added the one thing it really lacks: portability of content. To me, if that happened, you'd have the Holy Grail of video devices with the Vudu.

Comment

I discussed Apple moving into rentals yesterday in AVS thread and, lo and behold, this news breaks today. My personal opinion is that no matter the specifics of Apple rental model, Vudu should not only continue to pursue better terms from movie/TV studios, but also strive to add photo, radio & music, and video functionality to better compete with Apple TV. I'd think there is a significant overlap between people who want Vudu (as it is right now) and want media extender functionality (SageTV's HD extender is the best example so far).

Comment

If they truly deliver the ability to send video to their "Universe" hardware, this might remove AppleTV from being a "doorstop" into a serious competition to VOD. By the way I didn't coin the doorstop phrase.

I wonder if AT&T with their Uverse or TiVo will react to this announcement. Also I am waiting for VUDU's response.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                    If they truly deliver the ability to send video to their "Universe" hardware, this might remove AppleTV from being a "doorstop" into a serious competition to VOD. By the way I didn't coin the doorstop phrase.

I wonder if AT&T with their Uverse or TiVo will react to this announcement. Also I am waiting for VUDU's response.
                    ATV is not very popular but it has been hacked to offer a lot of additional functionality. But yeah, if I were looking at the media extender, it'd not be on my list yet.

Not sure about AT&T, but I don't know if TiVo needs to respond. They already offer Amazon Unbox although, frankly, I never use it on my S2 DT unit (I find the interface very, very slow for most non-core functionality on TiVo, such as Download, Music, etc.).

With regards to Vudu, I just finished reading User Suggestions thread and it looks like they say that hardware would be available to support media extender functionality, but they are concentrating on Vudu's core functionality (VOD). Normally, I'd be all for it, but because they have to deal with studios/licensing issues/etc., it will probably take awhile to bring us what we want (immediate availability, rent/buy choices for all titles, HD and 5.1 sound, etc.).

In light of the above, it makes sense for Vudu to increase value proposition of the box by adding media extender functions. Photo & music functionality is pretty common nowadays on set-top boxes and Vudu can partner with same music service providers that Sonos uses (I would imagine they are more eager to deal than movie studios). Video functionality is difficult to get right due to a variety of formats, but Vudu could start with Xvid/Divx. Furthermore, ability to play H.264 in MKV container would make my bank account $399 lighter

Comment

Well, the movies Vudu streams are in H.264 so that won't be a problem! I think that functionality you ask for is going to be coming in the mid-term (just my "guess" and not any promise on Vudu's part). I think the next big thing Vudu is going to want to get out on the software side of things is HD streaming and more HD content. Then after that, it will be offline storage on external USB drives. Once those are all complete, I would say the movie experience is pretty sweet at that point. Then I think Vudu can potentially look at doing some media extender options. There are people on staff on Vudu that came from SlimDevices - so there is a lot of expertise on audio and other media playback.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                        Well, the movies Vudu streams are in H.264 so that won't be a problem! I think that functionality you ask for is going to be coming in the mid-term (just my "guess" and not any promise on Vudu's part). I think the next big thing Vudu is going to want to get out on the software side of things is HD streaming and more HD content. Then after that, it will be offline storage on external USB drives. Once those are all complete, I would say the movie experience is pretty sweet at that point. Then I think Vudu can potentially look at doing some media extender options. There are people on staff on Vudu that came from SlimDevices - so there is a lot of expertise on audio and other media playback.
                        Thank you for providing some feedback I agree that HD content is probably most important right now. I'd like to see HD rentals and -- hopeless wish -- I would even go so far as to accept ad-supported HD TV programming (kind of what they want to have on Hulu).

Insofar as offline storate, I don't know if there are many people buying movies on Vudu (I'm much more inclined to rent non-physical media), but if that's something that will increase Vudu's popularity, I am all for it.

P.S. So are Vudu defectors the reason for the delays of long-awaited SlingCatcher? Combine it with Vudu and our lives would be much better

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
                          P.S. So are Vudu defectors the reason for the delays of long-awaited SlingCatcher? Combine it with Vudu and our lives would be much better
                          I can authoritatively say that this is NOT the case. I can't comment further.

Comment

Equally important, the agreement is expected to include onboarding of iPod-compatible video files with Fox DVDs, so that iPod users can load and go when the DVD is purchased (rather than ripping the DVD into MP4 video). linky

If this is true (that ipod compatible versions will be essentially an added bonus on the dvd, rather than having to rip it) then I can see great things happening for Apple. I have been waiting for this forever (and honestly thought it would come with the higher capacity disks).
                            http://www.blitzkit.com - for Oatmeal, Hot Cereal and Whole Food lovers

http://www.rushingaround.com - My webpage

Comment

What's the appeal of watching a movie on an ipod? It seems that the trend for movie viewing and HD is the bigger screen, the better.

Comment

Working...
                              X