Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Arbitrariness in Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arbitrariness in Moderation

Apparently there is now some unwritten rule that is in opposition to a current rule that allows off-topic chatter among like-minded individuals, unless that off-topic discussion is something VUDU decides arbitrarily isn't worthy of discussion.

Talking about Cheese products = GOOD
    Talking about Politics in U.S. = BAD!
    Talking about Alcohol drinks = GOOD
    Talking about Global Warming = BAD!

Re: Arbitrariness in Moderation

Well at least they don't delete the thread and pretend it was never there. They just close it which still keeps it viewable.

Comment

Maybe we should ask to see if we can get an off-topic forum for general chatter. I do realize that there are countless places on the internet that you can discuss and debate anything under the sun but sometimes it is nice to do that with a group of people that you're already somewhat familiar with (like the Vudu community here).

Comment

We've requested this time and time again.

Rstone, the point is that your discussion on the Census was not just a one or two thread discussion, it was WAY off topic from the original post. And what ticked off me and others was when you were politely requested to stop YOU DIDN'T! You just acted like a crybaby and kept on and on ranting and insisting you had a right to do so.

If I was moderating these forums, I would have split the thread out and let it continue on its own. But if you thumbed your nose at me and my request to stop the thread and move back on topic, I would likely suspend your posting privileges for a day or two until you calm down. Moderation is a tricky subject. People get defensive (as you so artfully demonstrated) when they get told to shut up. But yet others get turned off and turn away from the thread or the forums when it goes on too long. So you have to walk a fine line and I think Jimmy did a good job at that.

You were wrong for insisting you were right.

I'm an *** sometimes on these forums as well. Just the other week, I went off on Tamanaco and insulted him. I got called on it. I didn't swear, didn't use foul language but instead questioned his intelligence in a negative way. I got moderated to the extend that Vudu employees edited my post and put text in big red letters that I was not to attack others. What did I do? Well, I removed the red letters, but I also immediately apologized to Vudu and publicly apologized to the forum and to Tamanaco as well. I didn't dig in my heels and demand I was arbitrarily moderated.

I was also a moderator of this whole dang forum. in fact, I and others had admin privileges here. We were moderated out of our jobs a few months ago! Did we wine about it? No, we were adults and acted as such and have continued to be a positive force in this community.

Next time, you may wish to reconsider your actions when you are asked to change a certain behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by mebby View Post
          Maybe we should ask to see if we can get an off-topic forum for general chatter. I do realize that there are countless places on the internet that you can discuss and debate anything under the sun but sometimes it is nice to do that with a group of people that you're already somewhat familiar with (like the Vudu community here).
          I mean to say this, but I've said it before:

At www.planetvudu.com, we welcome all discussions both off topic and on topic about Vudu. If you want to go someplace to have useless banter and chatter, this site is wide open and is available.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
            Well at least they don't delete the thread and pretend it was never there. They just close it which still keeps it viewable.
            The thread deleter no longer works at Vudu...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              We've requested this time and time again.

Rstone, the point is that your discussion on the Census was not just a one or two thread discussion, it was WAY off topic from the original post. And what ticked off me and others was when you were politely requested to stop YOU DIDN'T!.
              Listen, rules exist for a reason, and if you can just say the rules only apply when you feel like it, that is BS, and you know it. I have no problem following the rules, but when someone decides to makes rules then don't even abide by them themselves, I have a problem with that. I don't like hypocrites and other on here who think they should dictate what is acceptable and what isn't, and then hold other to some arbitrary double standard when it suits you.

If I was moderating these forums, I would have split the thread out and let it continue on its own.
              I'm actually glad that VUDU took back control from people like yourself who had no business moderating these forums. Not to mention your quick temper as a mod was more then over the top on occasions, which resulted in you abusing that power from time to time.

You were wrong for insisting you were right.
              I wasn't wrong for following the letter of the law, which clearly stated I was within the rules guidelines to do so. If they didn't like they, they should change the rules. Not arbitraily make decisions that are decided on whim, just because they have a distaste for the topic.

I'm an *** sometimes on these forums as well.
              I've noticed, and it shows it this thread as well. I think it is kind of childish to insult me then ask me to behave. Maybe you should take your own advice and check your own comments at the door before you post, because quite honestly, I find your insults in the beginning of this thread offensive.

I was also a moderator of this whole dang forum. in fact, I and others had admin privileges here. We were moderated out of our jobs a few months ago! Did we wine about it?
              The difference is that there were no publicly posted rules that stated the you had the privilege to be a mod on here. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges, it just doesn't work here. Now had there been a RULE that stated that certain topics are taboo and that rule was enforced equally upon all members, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. The problem is there is CLEARLY rules posted above the General Forum, which CLEARLY do not prohibit such off-topic discussions.

No, next time when someone ask me to do something that ARE NOT a violation of the rules, I'll be sure to speak up so that every customer on here is treated fairly, and not arbitrarily by a select few.

Comment

This is why vBulletin has an "Ignore" feature.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                  This is why vBulletin has an "Ignore" feature.
                  Thank god for that. Maybe you should of used that instead of complaining about the HULU thread going off-topic. Maybe you should follow your own advice.

Comment

rstone, chill out dude. in fact every should just watch a movie or something and stop debating politics on the internet.

Comment

rstone,

I can certainly appreciate and respect how you feel. Constructive feedback regarding our conduct is always welcomed, however, I feel that I acted well within the rules. The guideline says that there are limitations to the off-topic chatter. I felt that the census post was relevant only in the beginning of this thread. After that, there was about 10 to 12 posts that strayed to far afield that I felt did not have the purpose of helping "vudu customers with questions or problems with their VUDUs" (Posting Guideline #3). While we do allow the occasional joke here and there, I felt that 10 to 12 lengthy posts were too much. You may disagree with that, as is your right.

I would to point out though that my original post, regarding political talks, was not targeted at you only. I apologize if it came across that way.

As for the separate thread you started, it was locked for the same reason. I did not feel that such a topic would benefit VUDU users in relation to the product.

NA9D,

Please refrain from personal attacks. Use of derogatory terms towards another member of the forum is out of line.

To All,

I would like to respectfully remind everyone that this forum is owned by VUDU and as such VUDU has the right to not only set the rules but interpret them as VUDU sees fit. Our goal though is to promote open communication, regarding VUDU and related fields. If anyone has any issues with this please feel free to PM me to discuss it further.

Comment

Working...
                      X