Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Who Was MISLED from VUDU's Marketing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Was MISLED from VUDU's Marketing?

I bought VUDU because the 1st thing I read all over the site and in the Press Releases was how VUDU has partnerships with almost all the studios, and how it's optimized for High-Definition.

I'm betting almost everyone else who bought it early or now thought - "GREAT, WE CAN FINALLY THROW AWAY OUR BLOCKBUSTER CARDS AND CANCEL OUR NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTION, AND MAYBE NOT EVEN BUY THAT BLU-RAY PLAYER YET, CAUSE THIS SOUNDS LIKE WE'RE GONNA HAVE THAT SAME LIBRARY OF E-V-E-R-Y NEW RELEASE AND GREAT HIT MOVIE SELECTIONS THAT THEY HAVE AT OUR FINGERTIPS"!

But to no avail... I have searched everyday for movies we all know and love, and I'd have to say on average, any person looking will only find 1 out of 8 movies they search for. Please, everyone respond who also feels this way?

I have rented tons from Blockbuster still! I have opened a Netflix account to order Blu-ray movies, and I still purchase from Comcast HD On-Demand, because I think many others like me thought VUDU was much, much farther than what it is right now and why we bought it in the 1st place.

Please, no comments on it's a good start and where it wants to go, this topic is ONLY for those of us who thought we were going to have...

Re: Who Was MISLED from VUDU's Marketing?

I too was very dissapointed with the lack of current selections, along with others - that's one of the reasons the moderators created the sticky thread on the quality of the movie selection. Go back and dig through the older posts, you'll see alot of complaints about this issue.

I too assumed (based on the hype) that current selections would be up on vudu at the same time, how are we to know about the studio's restrictive policies delaying rentals for almost a month!! . I was close to returning the box, but decided to hang on to it and see where this technology goes...

The lack of subtitles and/or closed captions is the other sore point for me, but once again I'm in the minority in this forum. All we can do is make our point and hope that things get better -- or return the box.

Comment

Originally posted by paularino View Post
      Please, no comments on it's a good start and where it wants to go, this topic is ONLY for those of us who thought we were going to have...
      How can you have a rational discussion when you are only allowing one side?

Second: If you don't like the box, you should have sent it back within the first 30 days. PERIOD.

Whine away, boys...

Comment

But to no avail... I have searched everyday for movies we all know and love, and I'd have to say on average, any person looking will only find 1 out of 8 movies they search for. Please, everyone respond who also feels this way?
        There is an open poll about this here: http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=1898 - you should be able to find the data you're looking for by analyzing the results of the poll.

-- Greg

Comment

Good point, Greg. The Vudu users here have overwhelmingly stated that they are relatively satisfied with the movie library. So that said, most people feel they were not misled by Vudu's marketing.

Now if you wish to talk about how marketing is done in general in our society - it's a different matter. Every see a commercial for a Big Mac or a Whopper and note how thick and juicy the burgers look and how it looks awesome? Then you go get one and its sqaushed, the meat is not thick, it does not look as good, the lettuce is turning white or brown - it is certainly NOT the product you've seen advertised.

I saw a show once one how they make ice cream photos. It isn't a big scoop of ice cream. Rather it's mostly a perfectly round form that an artists presses the ice cream on to and sculpts it to make it look pretty!

Does Vudu market its product any different than any other company in our society? Absolutely not. It's funny how when people misinterpret a product or aren't happy with it they have suddenly been lied to. I see people complain that Sling Media lies about HD capability when in reality SlingMedia never promises the ability to stream your content in HD but to only accept HD content up to 1080i. People say they've been lied to.

Vudu comes out with an On Demand movie product that has a movie database of 5000 movies. I haven't counted to see if it's 5000 exactly but it's pretty close. The box does what it advertises. Where did Vudu lie or mislead you? The point is that you aren't happy with the library.

Blockbuster isn't perfect either. My wife and I wanted to see "A Walk in the Clouds." We went to about 4 Blockbuster's but couldn't find it. Finally it came on VOD on cable. So Blockbuster's library isn't that great either.

I forgot - no dissenting opinions allowed. I'd better go moderate myself!

Comment

I'm betting almost everyone else who bought it early or now thought - "GREAT, WE CAN FINALLY THROW AWAY OUR BLOCKBUSTER CARDS AND CANCEL OUR NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTION, AND MAYBE NOT EVEN BUY THAT BLU-RAY PLAYER YET, CAUSE THIS SOUNDS LIKE WE'RE GONNA HAVE THAT SAME LIBRARY OF E-V-E-R-Y NEW RELEASE AND GREAT HIT MOVIE SELECTIONS THAT THEY HAVE AT OUR FINGERTIPS"!
            I believe you would lose that bet. Things like this take time. They always have and they always will. If you don't want to be an early adopter for something like this, then just don't. Let others blaze the trail for you. Someday you will thank those of us that did that. Without us, you would never get what you want.

Comment

Didn't ANY of you guys expect to have most of the latest titles available the same day they came out on DVD?? Did ALL of you instinictively know that the studios would hold rentals up for close to a month after they're out on DVD? Can't you understand that some of us are/were dissapointed with that aspect??

Yes, there's no point beating the dead horse (God knows I did that), and yes those that can't handle that fact should return the box, but the Vudu priesthood shouldn't get bent out of shape every time a new user comes in and realizes that reality is a bit different than what marketing lead some of us to believe.... He has the right to vent, criticism of a product to help it improve are part of what forums are for ...

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
                Didn't ANY of you guys expect to have most of the latest titles available the same day they came out on DVD?? Did ALL of you instinictively know that the studios would hold rentals up for close to a month after they're out on DVD? Can't you understand that some of us are/were dissapointed with that aspect??

Yes, there's no point beating the dead horse (God knows I did that), and yes those that can't handle that fact should return the box, but the Vudu priesthood shouldn't get bent out of shape every time a new user comes in and realizes that reality is a bit different than what marketing lead some of us to believe....
                Since boxes had to be preordered and there was nothing out there on the market like it, I knew it was new technology. My experience has told me that new technology takes a while to get going. I bought my first CD player when they first came out. I paid $250 and there were only a few dozen titles available, if that many. So I didn't expect it immediately, though I do expect it eventually.

I do feel bad for anybody that was disappointed but this box hasn't been out for very long and the reasoning for the current movie availability has been clearly communicated. As far as the marketing is concerned, the wording was typical for marketing and didn't use words like "all". Perhaps I just tend to read things more carefully and understand how marketing works in just about every company and for every product.

Even so, if it does eventually get where you all want it to be, then you will eventually be happy. In the meantime, you don't have to pay any subscription fee and you should be able to use it more and more over time. If it succeeds, patience will be rewarded, and people who buy on early can actually help make that happen.

Comment

You probably think that I'm somewhat biased and knew all of the information on movies ahead of time. In reality, I didn't. Prior to about early September, us in the beta group did not have access to the full database. And we really did not know of the rental vs. purchase restrictions until it happened.

So yes, I am disappointed. I am very disappointed I don't have more "new" content available to rent now. I'm disappointed in the fact that some older titles like Walk in the Clouds or Parenthood aren't on the box.

But does that make me conclude that Vudu was deceptive in their advertising? Does that make me think that the box will NEVER have those movies or NEVER be the way I would like it? No and no. I do hope the studios will change and in time I think they will.

But even if things stay the way they are, I think we still have a pretty damn good product on our hands.

I'm still not sure of the rationale of HAVING to rent something the day it comes out. I really could care less if I have to wait a month to see it. For crying out loud, I likely didn't see it in the theaters and I've been waiting since then so I can wait a few more weeks.

Yes, there's no point beating the dead horse (God knows I did that), and yes those that can't handle that fact should return the box, but the Vudu priesthood shouldn't get bent out of shape every time a new user comes in and realizes that reality is a bit different than what marketing lead some of us to believe.... He has the right to vent, criticism of a product to help it improve are part of what forums are for ...
                  Paularino isn't a new member. That's the issue. He's been around here since before the boxes shipped. In fact he joined, on 9/6/2007. Mbustin, you joined nearly a month later, 10/2/2007...

And if anyone is a new member and doesn't take the time to read or search for posts prior to posting their own comments, they seriously need a lesson in using forums. I know some forums where you basically get yelled at if you ask a question that has already been asked a thousand times before. If it's obvious that a user didn't search, they get crucified. I think that's a little extreme, and I generally know when someone's new and when they aren't..

Comment

Didn't ANY of you guys expect to have most of the latest titles available the same day they came out on DVD?? Did ALL of you instinictively know that the studios would hold rentals up for close to a month after they're out on DVD?
                    Put it this way; I regularly, without having to think about it, refer to the MPAA and the RIAA as the "MAFIAA", due to their thuggish intimidation tactics and fragile business model. I occasionally post or orate long diatribes about fair use and its hobbling by the MAFIAA. So no, this is not a surprise to me, although I freely admit that I'm not typical.

Can't you understand that some of us are/were dissapointed with that aspect??
                    Yes, but there's a difference between wanting something and dwelling on not having it. You seem to have gotten that, at least, which is why we've had more constructive discussions of late. I can take, leave, or hack to the best of my limited abilities whatever is out there, but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      I'm still not sure of the rationale of HAVING to rent something the day it comes out. I really could care less if I have to wait a month to see it. For crying out loud, I likely didn't see it in the theaters and I've been waiting since then so I can wait a few more weeks.
                      It's not a matter of HAVING, just a very strong want ....

Well, this should make paularino a little happier ...
                      http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...04709072&EDATE=

Comment

It's not a matter of HAVING, just a very strong want ....

Well, this should make paularino a little happier ...
                        http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4709072&EDATE=
                        Here is the text from that link:

VUDU and Universal Studios Home Entertainment to Deliver Bourne Trilogy Directly to the Living Room in High Definition Just in Time for Holidays

Included With the Purchase of the VUDU Set-Top Box, VUDU Customers Get High Definition Versions of The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy and an Option to Purchase The Bourne Ultimatum Starting on December 11, 2007 VUDU Users Don't Need to Run to Video Store or Wait in Line on Release Day for the Ultimate Action Thriller

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Nov. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- VUDU Inc., the company that brings instant access to video content to the living room, announced an unprecedented collaboration with Universal Studios Home Entertainment to deliver the entire Bourne Trilogy in high definition (HD).

In a groundbreaking HD arrangement, VUDU and Universal will offer the three installments of the franchise available through the VUDU service in HD with Surround Sound. Starting November 23rd, and for a limited time, VUDU will begin offering an amazing bonus to its existing and future VUDU customers; the purchase of a VUDU set-top box now includes permanent copies of The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy in HD -- a $50 value. In addition, beginning December 11th, VUDU customers will be able to purchase The Bourne Ultimatum in HD for $24.99.

By providing VUDU customers access to the Bourne Trilogy, VUDU expands its service to include HD content for the first time. These HD movies complement more than 5,000 titles available for rent or purchase directly through the television, without requiring a PC, cable service, or satellite TV subscription. The availability of The Bourne Trilogy expands on a previously announced agreement with Universal to deliver content in HD format.

"Digital delivery of HD movies through VUDU makes it easy for consumers to get the high quality content they most want to watch, when they want to watch it," said Tony Miranz, VUDU's Co-founder and EVP for Sales & Business Development. "Our agreement with Universal gives lovers of the Bourne series instant gratification in glorious HD right from the comfort of their own home. We share Universal's passion for providing viewers with the ultimate in video content, and look forward to collaborating on many more top-quality Universal releases."

"Universal is committed to providing new and innovative entertainment experiences for consumers," said Craig Kornblau, President, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Universal Pictures Digital Platforms. "VUDU's breakthrough technology speaks to the evolving digital distribution market and is a perfect way for Bourne fans to get the best motion pictures in superior home video quality in the timeliest manner possible."

VUDU enables high-speed broadband customers to get instant access through their TV to more than 5,000 movies from all the major and more than 20 independent studios and distributors. VUDU delivers movies to consumers as they are released by the studios to DVD and maintains an up-to-date library of current releases. VUDU lets consumers watch the movie they want to watch when they want to watch it -- no planning necessary, no computer required, no software downloads, and no cable TV service or satellite subscription needed.

Availability

VUDU can be purchased at select retailers and online including Tweeter, Magnolia, MyerEmco, Amazon.com, VUDU.com, and other select AV retailers. About Universal Studios Home Entertainment Universal Studios Home Entertainment is a unit of Universal Pictures, a division of Universal Studios (http://www.universalstudios.com). Universal Studios is a part of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric,with 20% owned by Vivendi.

About VUDU

VUDU is dedicated to bringing instant access to thousands of mainstream movies to every living room. Through relationships with every major US movie studio and more than 20 independent studios and distributors, VUDU offers the optimal home entertainment experience for consumers. The company was founded in 2004 and is headquartered in Silicon Valley.
                        Last edited by MaxH; 11-20-2007, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I really hope this is incorrect:

"
                          through the VUDU service in
                          HD with Surround Sound.

"

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post

"
                            HD with Surround Sound.

"
                            No, that is correct. Dolby 5.1, DTS, etc., are all Surround Sound. I am certain that these will be in DD 5.1.

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post

"
                              HD with Surround Sound.

"
                              So what were you hoping for instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X