atasehir escort pendik escort ankara escort

Announcement

Collapse

Vudu Forum Guidelines

Vudu Forum Guidelines

The Vudu Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Vudu experience. Here, Vudu customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Vudu and Vudu -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Vudu customers with questions and/or problems with their Vudu service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Vudu Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Vudu Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Vudu reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Vudu products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Vudu retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Vudu Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Vudu products and services should be directed to Vudu customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Vudu, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Vudu a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Vudu desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Vudu will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Vudu is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Vudu the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Vudu for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Vudu takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

    First let me say the option to upgrade some of my DVDs to Ultraviolet (VUDU HDX) at $5 could be interesting - but my actual experience cools my enthusiasm.

    Today I did Disc to Digital on 'Blade Runner', 'Dark City' and 'The Fifth Element' - all DVD to HDX.

    Video quality seems OK - 'Blade Runner' and 'Dark City' probably a little better than good DVD transfers and 'The Fifth Element' looked pretty good.

    However both 'Dark City' and 'The Fifth Element' were 5.1 audio on the DVDs but only Dolby Digital 2.0 on the Ultraviolet (Vudu HDX).

    So what is up with that - $5 to downgrade from 5.1 to 2.0 audio. Audio is very much part of the experience.

    As I say I like the concept - but the content needs to be better for both video and audio if VUDU/studios would like another payment for content we already own.....

    #2
    Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

    Forrest Gump is the same way. Read what I was told.

    http://forum.vudu.com/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=62

    Comment


      #3
      Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

      if you use the search function you wil see this is not new. Matrix and 300 are the same way.

      Speaking of which, with all the new people coming here from bluray.com, why is no one using the search option. All the repeated posts....

      Sorry for my rant,...welcome to the forums vabdergraff

      Comment


        #4
        Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

        I did D2D for all 3 Blade films to avoid buying the blu-rays. The audio was so bad I still had to purchase the Blus.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

          Put in a trouble ticket, they may be able to reencode with better sound.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

            Originally posted by Speedaddict81 View Post
            Put in a trouble ticket, they may be able to reencode with better sound.
            I've put it trouble tickets for this issue and am still waiting after more than 2 months for the re-encode. There are a lot of movies that have 5.1 DD on HD and then Stereo on HDX which doesn't make sense at all. The audio quality goes down while the video quality goes up?

            Comment


              #7
              Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

              It doesn't make sense to me either. But don't think that because you put in a trouble ticket, that they will fix it. I wish they would, but you did get what they have to give you. Their source file is the problem, not the file that you got.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

                Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                It doesn't make sense to me either. But don't think that because you put in a trouble ticket, that they will fix it. I wish they would, but you did get what they have to give you. Their source file is the problem, not the file that you got.
                Fortunately, I didn't buy them yet, they are on my wishlist. I won't buy them at all until they fix the problem.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

                  They really should change how the "Disc to Digital" program is explained. Basically you have DVD/BRDs, Vudu has movies to stream. For a fee, you can get your DVD/BRDs added to your UV locker, which will allow you to stream that move over the Vudu service (and any other service that can read your UV locker and has rights to the movie).

                  If the Vudu stream (or other service) doesn't contain certain features (sound channels, additional tracks, alternate endings, etc) than you won't be able to view them. You are simply buying the UV rights to that movie which you already own. Many of the movies in the program never came with UV codes (because either the studio didn't support it at the time of release or it wasn't around at the time).

                  It is NOT converting your discs to anything.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

                    Originally posted by tyknee View Post
                    They really should change how the "Disc to Digital" program is explained. Basically you have DVD/BRDs, Vudu has movies to stream. For a fee, you can get your DVD/BRDs added to your UV locker, which will allow you to stream that move over the Vudu service (and any other service that can read your UV locker and has rights to the movie).

                    If the Vudu stream (or other service) doesn't contain certain features (sound channels, additional tracks, alternate endings, etc) than you won't be able to view them. You are simply buying the UV rights to that movie which you already own. Many of the movies in the program never came with UV codes (because either the studio didn't support it at the time of release or it wasn't around at the time).

                    It is NOT converting your discs to anything.
                    This is sound advice, I agree that people just don't fully understand it. Now, I think for those complaining about the audio/video quality (not having 5.1 and etc), I personally think that will largely be resolved when the CFF files are finally released with a standardized specification..

                    Patience my friends...

                    I will continue to D2D any disk that I have now or in the future. Most titles that I buy now have the UV code thankfully .

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

                      How do they manage to give us an HDX picture but lower the quality of the audio encode to DVD or less-than DVD quality?

                      Addicted to Love - 5.1 on DVD, Stereo on HDX
                      Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - 5.1 on DVD, TrueHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                      Black Hawk Down - 5.1 on DVD, 5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                      Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season - 5.1 on DVD, 5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                      Contact - 5.1 on DVD, TrueHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                      Corpse Bride - 5.1 on DVD, 5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                      Elf - 5.1 on DVD, TrueHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                      Empire of the Sun - 5.1 on DVD, DTSHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                      Independence Day - 5.1 on DVD, DTSHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX

                      You get the idea, so I won't do it for more, but these are also in the same situation:

                      L.A. Confidential
                      Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life
                      Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
                      National Lampoon's Vacation
                      Notebook, The
                      Ocean's Eleven
                      Oklahoma
                      Panic Room
                      Remains of the Day
                      Singles
                      Sixteen Candles
                      True Romance (Unrated)

                      Really, you would have to WORK to actually separate the good encode and find some of these crappy audio releases because you can't even BUY some of these in such low audio quality as they are offering here!!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

                        I upgraded my Running Scared (2006) DVD to HDX to avoid buying it on Blu-ray. However, the HDX version is still only Stereo.

                        http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content...Running-Scared

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

                          When you find issues like this, please open up a new support ticket by calling Vudu. I have one open with 9 movies that are in the same situation where the audio is higher quality on the HD version than on the HDX version.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

                            Originally posted by pghflyer View Post
                            How do they manage to give us an HDX picture but lower the quality of the audio encode to DVD or less-than DVD quality?

                            Addicted to Love - 5.1 on DVD, Stereo on HDX
                            Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - 5.1 on DVD, TrueHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                            Black Hawk Down - 5.1 on DVD, 5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                            Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season - 5.1 on DVD, 5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                            Contact - 5.1 on DVD, TrueHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                            Corpse Bride - 5.1 on DVD, 5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                            Elf - 5.1 on DVD, TrueHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                            Empire of the Sun - 5.1 on DVD, DTSHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX
                            Independence Day - 5.1 on DVD, DTSHD5.1 on BLU, Stereo on HDX

                            You get the idea, so I won't do it for more, but these are also in the same situation:

                            L.A. Confidential
                            Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life
                            Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
                            National Lampoon's Vacation
                            Notebook, The
                            Ocean's Eleven
                            Oklahoma
                            Panic Room
                            Remains of the Day
                            Singles
                            Sixteen Candles
                            True Romance (Unrated)

                            Really, you would have to WORK to actually separate the good encode and find some of these crappy audio releases because you can't even BUY some of these in such low audio quality as they are offering here!!
                            Keep in mind that you are trying to stream a file that is already pretty large. If you wanted to add 5.1-7.1 lossless audio (like you get with a blu-ray), the file size and/or bandwidth requirements would exceed the network download speed of most users. Most blu-ray discs run at 25+ Mbps, some quite a bit higher. I know that exceeds my home network's capability and I couldn't reliably stream anything that quickly.

                            For now, I am okay with HDX video quality and the 5.1 lossy audio available. It is a non factor when i travel, since hotel TVs have crappy speakers anyway, and when I am at home, my receivers process the audio into full surround.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: DVD to HDX reduces audio quality

                              Originally posted by Nygiantsfan3342 View Post
                              Keep in mind that you are trying to stream a file that is already pretty large. If you wanted to add 5.1-7.1 lossless audio (like you get with a blu-ray), the file size and/or bandwidth requirements would exceed the network download speed of most users. Most blu-ray discs run at 25+ Mbps, some quite a bit higher. I know that exceeds my home network's capability and I couldn't reliably stream anything that quickly.

                              For now, I am okay with HDX video quality and the 5.1 lossy audio available. It is a non factor when i travel, since hotel TVs have crappy speakers anyway, and when I am at home, my receivers process the audio into full surround.
                              Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the point the poster is making is that these titles are coming over in Stereo and not 5.1 on HDX.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X