Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

D2D: Redeeing DVDs in SD or HDX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D2D: Redeeing DVDs in SD or HDX?

I was curious on how other users are redeeming their D2D for DVDs. I've got about 400 (ish) movies on DVD, and while some are very worthy of upgrading to HDX, there are many that I deem as just OK. I plan on moving most of these to digital. However the part that I'm trying to decide is to redeem all of them in HDX or just the 'ok' ones in SD. I've done a couple in SD just to get an idea of quality and while its not bad, it's not outstanding either, but watchable. however some SD appears to be horrid (the 1978 Superman movie for instance is really bad quality).
    If it was just a matter of a few, I'd just do HDX, but when you're talking a few hundred the 1.50 (currently, 3 after next month) difference between SD and HDX can start adding up very quickly. I was wondering what others were doing, and their thoughts on SD quality here on VUDU.

Re: D2D: Redeeing DVDs in SD or HDX?

Even with the 50% discount I am still selective about what I upgrade to HDX from DVD.

If I had a 60+ inch screen I might be more inclined to upgrade everything, as some pixelation would probably appear in SD streams, however, on my 40 inch TV the difference in quality is noticeable, but not worth the extra $300 I'd have spent upgrading titles like 'About Schmidt' or 'Billy Madison'. I find for Comedy and Drama I am fine with SD.

Also, I've only got 2 speakers and a subwoofer set up, right now, so I have no need for true 5.1 audio, Prologic stereo is good enough (though sometimes I feel like the sound levels are off in SD without a center speaker, dialogue is a little too subdued). And, again, for comedy and drama I find no need to have superb surround sound, so SD is just fine.

My only hope is that eventually an SD -> HDX upgrade will be available so I can upgrade if I decide to, if that was already available I think it would be an easy choice; spend a buck each now to digitize the whole library, then, as some extra cash is available, make the upgrades.

Comment

I've been selective about upgrades to HDX. So far, VUDU has been for my travel, and not for watching at home. As such, I don't see the need for HDX on everything. I have been getting HDX for my all of Blu-ray titles, even though I've needed to take them to WM.

Comment

In my case, I either convert it to HDX or not at all. If it's not worth the extra $3 for HDX to me, then it's usually also not worth $2 for an SD copy since I already have a rip of the DVD stored on my local Plex Media Server. Plus, I hate the idea of spending money and not getting the highest quality available.

Comment

Originally posted by jjohns View Post
          In my case, I either convert it to HDX or not at all. ... Plus, I hate the idea of spending money and not getting the highest quality available.
          +

Comment

I had decided that, unless and until they have a way to upgrade from SD to HDX, my D2D purchases would be HDX or nothing...and then they started the sale, and I decided to definitely buy every movie I can in HDX by the time it ends. I think it will only be about 150 in my collection that I can convert right now, so until more studios get on board or the existing studios allow more movies to be licensed in this way, I think my spending has a predictable limit. (Dangerous last words, I know...)

Comment

I always get the highest quality available. Costs a bit more but ultimately it is a trivial amount if you figure it is extending the watchable life of a movie. My TV cannot display vhs in acceptable quality now. What will SD look like on a 4K set? l bet it won't be good.

I am up to 4,669 movies...most HDX.

Comment

I will say that, when I first started, I was very selective as to what I upgraded to HDX. I also didn't think that something like Billy Madison was HDX worthy, but something like the Michael Keaton Batman movies certainly were. However, there are some that I did not upgrade to HDX before that I wish I had now. Good news is, it would've cost me $5 to do this initially. Now that this 50% off deal is going, if I want to upgrade a title to HDX that I've already converted, it will only cost me $2.50 if I do 10 or more. So, if you think about it, I'm saving .50 per HDX upgrade because I waited. I haven't done this yet, but I do plan on upgrading a few titles (like my TMNT collection.)

Has anyone else had a change of heart and upgraded once the sale started?

Comment

I try to get all my movies in hdx, but I can see what you guys mean about like certain movies being worthy or so old that it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow316 View Post
                    Has anyone else had a change of heart and upgraded once the sale started?
                    I'm thinking about it. I did find movies that I had previously purchased directly from Vudu in SD that I decided to purchase in HDX for $2.50. One was Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, an action movie that would benefit from a higher resolution and framerate. The movies that I did D2D in SD were the 5 free Flixster conversions, and I did movies that are all about the dialog: Milk (which has a 70s cinematography that won't benefit so much from HDX), Glengary Glen Ross, and three mockumentaries by Christopher Guest. I don't think I'll bother spending to upgrade the video on those.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                      I'm thinking about it. I did find movies that I had previously purchased directly from Vudu in SD that I decided to purchase in HDX for $2.50. One was Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, an action movie that would benefit from a higher resolution and framerate. The movies that I did D2D in SD were the 5 free Flixster conversions, and I did movies that are all about the dialog: Milk (which has a 70s cinematography that won't benefit so much from HDX), Glengary Glen Ross, and three mockumentaries by Christopher Guest. I don't think I'll bother spending to upgrade the video on those.

last week, I hit the end of the road on my D2D list until more become available. I was entertaining the idea this weekend of upgrading two of my freebee Flixster movies which I have on DVD. One is "Matchstick Men" and the other is "The Perfect Storm".

Both could benefit with viewing in 1080p, but I do not know about paying the in-store D2D rate of $10.70 for this upgrade. Still chewing on the idea.

Someone else in the forum mentioned doing so and I am beginning to like the idea of moving two out of the SD column and do a +2 into my HDX column.

Comment

I have not upgraded the vast majority of my DVD movies to HDX for a couple of reasons.

Many of the old classics were never re-mastered, and I question whether or not HD makes a difference (perhaps it does, I just don't know).

My reason for going digital is portability and my current tablet is not an HD screen, so I only get SD anyway.

Cost....I've converted over 200 using Vudu to Go, and approx. 80 at Walmart before it became available.

Having said that, it would be nice to have the option to upgrade from SD to HD/HDX for $3.00 ($1.50 during the promotional period) for those titles I've done via D2D.

Vudu Movies:
                        118 HDX
                        237 SD
                        355 Total
                        Vudu TV Seasons:
                        3 HDX

Comment

Originally posted by JayJB View Post
                          I have not upgraded the vast majority of my DVD movies to HDX for a couple of reasons.

Many of the old classics were never re-mastered, and I question whether or not HD makes a difference (perhaps it does, I just don't know).

My reason for going digital is portability and my current tablet is not an HD screen, so I only get SD anyway.

Cost....I've converted over 200 using Vudu to Go, and approx. 80 at Walmart before it became available.

Having said that, it would be nice to have the option to upgrade from SD to HD/HDX for $3.00 ($1.50 during the promotional period) for those titles I've done via D2D.

Vudu Movies:
                          118 HDX
                          237 SD
                          355 Total
                          Vudu TV Seasons:
                          3 HDX

I have "The Sound of Music" in HDX. The quality is superb.

For me, my D2D journey was a methodical one. I only added titles into HDX, unless there was a title I didn't want to wait for the HDX version to become available, but was otherwise available in SD.

"Jeremiah Johnson" is one such title and that I would not mind paying $5 for the HDX upgrade if it ever becomes available.

You may feel differently and I respect that. For me, I paid cash for each of my HDX additions over a long period. I am very pleased with my collection as it stands today.

Comment

I should have said "Many older films" rather than classics....I have a lot of "B" movies too, and I really don't think those were re-mastered.

To each their own...at least we have options. But I do have a few regrets and would like to upgrade. My next tablet will likely be HD resolution or higher, so at some point, that reason goes away too.

Comment

If you get HDNet, you can find lots of older movies in HD, and you'll see that the broadcast quality of the original films are much better than DVD-quality. Everything I've watched on HDnet from the 70s and before has been quite stunning compared to SD.

Comment

Working...
                              X