Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Can't purchase Dances with Wolves???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't purchase Dances with Wolves???

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
    And How do you know that? At one point there were 9 MGM UV titles, and that wasn't counting any of the ones released in the last 3 years.
    It's a very safe guess since, from what I can recall, all MGM UV titles have been new releases. Since these titles are basically a reissue of older titles, and since MGM is only allowing us the streaming option of Vudu only, it's very unlikely that they will be UV any time soon. Otherwise, why in the world would we even be talking about these Walmart Exclusives, which totally undermines UltraViolet if you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
      Dances With Wolves is on Vudu, I bought it a couple of years ago. My guess is that there is a temporary issue with the license that will soon be resolved since this Walmart Exclusive DVD is being sold.

Oh, and I saw someone said The Usual Suspects isn't available. I redeemed code yesterday and it shows in my account.

Here are all the titles I redeemed yesterday after receiving my DVDs and Blu-rays and I have had no problems with any of these:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
      Hang 'Em High (Blu-ray)
      Red Dawn
      Delta Force
      Rocky (Blu-ray)
      The Terminator (Blu-ray)
      The Usual Suspects
      I finally also bit the bullet and bought 2 of these (Red Dawn and The Terminator). I didn't have Red Dawn but I bought The Terminator again to complete my digital Terminator collection.

Comment

Originally posted by madmod20061 View Post
        Dances With Wolves technically is UV, just not in the United States. I bought the Blu Ray from Amazon UK and it has a UV code (It's pretty easy to find out how to redeem UK codes so search for it if that's your cup of tea). I also have Lincoln, Gremlins and Community Season 4 this way. No Vudu though. They all play fine in that service that wont be named because of it's general terribleness though.
        DwW is UV in countries where other studios own the rights, like the UK. (I got the WB Blu-ray from there long before it hit Blu-ray here, much less UV there; I kept it because it's the theatrical cut while MGM only released the extended edition on Blu-ray here.) That doesn't change the fact that it's not UV here in the States, 'cuz it's MGM and not exactly a new release that would be forced into UV by MGM's partners (i.e., Skyfall was released to theaters by Sony). Likewise, Lincoln isn't UV here thanks to Disney/Touchstone; it's UV in countries where Fox released it, so it works at your Voldemort service.

Comment

Originally posted by RBBrittain View Post
          DwW is UV in countries where other studios own the rights, like the UK. (I got the WB Blu-ray from there long before it hit Blu-ray here, much less UV there; I kept it because it's the theatrical cut while MGM only released the extended edition on Blu-ray here.) That doesn't change the fact that it's not UV here in the States, 'cuz it's MGM and not exactly a new release that would be forced into UV by MGM's partners (i.e., Skyfall was released to theaters by Sony). Likewise, Lincoln isn't UV here thanks to Disney/Touchstone; it's UV in countries where Fox released it, so it works at your Voldemort service.
          The UV copy seems to be the theatrical version of Dances. It shows as 3 hours on my appletv via airplay. I bought Lincoln because it was so much cheaper just to get the UK BD a the time. Disney's prices are so high in the states. It's still up there in price for a new copy.

Comment

These are the MGM titles that have been sold with UV rights. Many of them are not new releases. A few of them are still available at other providers.

Robocop (2014)
            Skyfall
            Carrie
            Red Dawn
            Hot Tub Time Machine
            Robocop (Original)
            Robocop 2
            Robocop 3
            A Fistfull of Dollars
            For A Few Dollars More
            The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,
            Hang Em High
            Hoodlum

Comment

These are the MGM titles that have been sold with UV rights and have been since they were originally released to DVD or Blu-ray. Many of them are not new releases. A few of them are still available at other providers.

Robocop (2014)
              Skyfall
              Carrie
              Red Dawn
              Hot Tub Time Machine
              Robocop (Original)
              Robocop 2
              Robocop 3
              A Fistfull of Dollars
              For A Few Dollars More
              The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,
              Hang Em High
              Hoodlum
              Robocop 2014, Skyfall, Carrie 2013, and Red Dawn 2012 are the only UV titles on your list. We have been watching for all the Client Eastwood movies on this list to become UV and as far as I know they have never been offered as UV. The original Robocop was added as a UV title on Vudu only not too long ago, then they quickly dropped it.

So "if" all these movies were once UV I think this shows the pattern...MGM will drop UV rights instead of adding them. I hope I am wrong, but nothing indicates that MGM is going to start adding older titles as UV.

Comment

Robocop 2014, Skyfall, Carrie 2013, and Red Dawn 2012 are the only UV titles on your list. We have been watching for all the Client Eastwood movies on this list to become UV and as far as I know they have never been offered as UV. The original Robocop was added as a UV title on Vudu only not too long ago, then they quickly dropped it.

So "if" all these movies were once UV I think this shows the pattern...MGM will drop UV rights instead of adding them. I hope I am wrong, but nothing indicates that MGM is going to start adding older titles as UV.
                Apparantly you weren't here two weeks ago, they were all UV for about 3 or maybe 4 days. I have A Fistful of Dollars myself, and it still has its UV status. The original Robocop and Hot Tub Time machine is still being offered with UV rights at other providers. The other ones that lost UV status, aren't available at all now, so I think MGM is leaning towards offering UV, but they are still working on licensing issues.

Comment

Apparantly you weren't here two weeks ago, they were all UV for about 3 or maybe 4 days. I have A Fistful of Dollars myself, and it still has its UV status. The original Robocop and Hot Tub Time machine is still being offered with UV rights at other providers. The other ones that lost UV status, aren't available at all now, so I think MGM is leaning towards offering UV, but they are still working on licensing issues.
                  I am not surprised. Vudu never advertises anything like that, and I don't have time to key in every single title was are watching for every week. But that is the point I was making...MGM is taking away UV rights and not adding them.

The original Robocop currently is not UV. I don't know what would happen if it were purchased on CinemaNow. I know what "should" happen. It should show up in our Vudu account since it indicates that it comes with UV rights.

I hope you are right about MGM trying to join UV, but so far they really haven't shown that to be the case. In fact, just the opposite. Sounds like they tried it and decided they didn't want to fool with it. I hope I am wrong, I hope they join UltraViolet and allow Disc-to-digital.

Comment

Originally posted by madmod20061 View Post
                    The UV copy seems to be the theatrical version of Dances. It shows as 3 hours on my appletv via airplay. I bought Lincoln because it was so much cheaper just to get the UK BD a the time. Disney's prices are so high in the states. It's still up there in price for a new copy.
                    I assume you're referring to the Voldemort service (IIRC they're the only one that can Airplay to an Apple TV, and that was just added recently), but as it turns out Vudu's copy is the 181-minute theatrical version also. Which is all the more reason to buy DwW on Blu-ray in-store; you get the 236-minute director's cut on the Blu-ray plus the 181-minute theatrical cut on Vudu.

Comment

I am not surprised. Vudu never advertises anything like that, and I don't have time to key in every single title was are watching for every week. But that is the point I was making...MGM is taking away UV rights and not adding them.

The original Robocop currently is not UV. I don't know what would happen if it were purchased on CinemaNow. I know what "should" happen. It should show up in our Vudu account since it indicates that it comes with UV rights.

I hope you are right about MGM trying to join UV, but so far they really haven't shown that to be the case. In fact, just the opposite. Sounds like they tried it and decided they didn't want to fool with it. I hope I am wrong, I hope they join UltraViolet and allow Disc-to-digital.
                      I believe MGM ultimately will have to join UV (they're too small to create their own DMA, and IMO vendor lock will ultimately discourage most non-UV, non-DMA EST sales except possibly iTunes), but till that happens I doubt we'll see anything UV from them besides redeemable slips in new releases.

Comment

Originally posted by RBBrittain View Post
                        I believe MGM ultimately will have to join UV (they're too small to create their own DMA, and IMO vendor lock will ultimately discourage most non-UV, non-DMA EST sales except possibly iTunes), but till that happens I doubt we'll see anything UV from them besides redeemable slips in new releases.
                        I disagree with you that MGM is small. Remember that United Artists, The Cannon Group, Orion Pictures, Castle Rock Entertainment, and a few others are owned by MGM. They are not nearly as big as Disney and I do agree that they probably are not looked to create their own DMA. But I think they are still very comfortable with using iTunes, Google Play, YouTube and all the various retailers, including Vudu, to just sell digital or rent digital copies of their films. They have not embraced the whole UV concept.

They also probably feel like they own some of the more desirable titles going back to the 1920's. Titles like the Rocky films, Rain Man, Thelma & Louise, the Bond films, Dances With Wolves, Dead Man Walking, Midnight Cowboy, Leaving Las Vegas, Raging Bull, WarGames, The Cutting Edge, Mr. Mom, Haunted Honeymoon, The Amityville Horror, Mad Max, Quigley Down Under, Hotel Rwanda, Poltergeist, Mr. Saturday Night, In The Heat Of The Night, Invaders From Mars, The Alamo, Legally Blonde, River's Edge, Hackers, Yentl, Teen Wolf, Four Weddings And A Funeral, The Silence Of The Lambs, Valkyrie, the Robocop films, Fiddler On The Roof, Carrie, The Man In The Iron Mask, and The Thomas Crown Affair (both the original and remake).

They are also into TV. They currently have a few shows in production like "Teen Wolf" in it's third or fourth season on MTV, "Vikings" on the History channel, and the new "Fargo" show in FX. Other popular MGM television shows over the years includes Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Logan's Run, Robocop, and Chips.

If UV is still around in a couple of years or so then I think MGM will join UV.

Comment

I disagree with you that MGM is small. Remember that United Artists, The Cannon Group, Orion Pictures, Castle Rock Entertainment, and a few others are owned by MGM. They are not nearly as big as Disney and I do agree that they probably are not looked to create their own DMA. But I think they are still very comfortable with using iTunes, Google Play, YouTube and all the various retailers, including Vudu, to just sell digital or rent digital copies of their films. They have not embraced the whole UV concept.

They also probably feel like they own some of the more desirable titles going back to the 1920's. Titles like the Rocky films, Rain Man, Thelma & Louise, the Bond films, Dances With Wolves, Dead Man Walking, Midnight Cowboy, Leaving Las Vegas, Raging Bull, WarGames, The Cutting Edge, Mr. Mom, Haunted Honeymoon, The Amityville Horror, Mad Max, Quigley Down Under, Hotel Rwanda, Poltergeist, Mr. Saturday Night, In The Heat Of The Night, Invaders From Mars, The Alamo, Legally Blonde, River's Edge, Hackers, Yentl, Teen Wolf, Four Weddings And A Funeral, The Silence Of The Lambs, Valkyrie, the Robocop films, Fiddler On The Roof, Carrie, The Man In The Iron Mask, and The Thomas Crown Affair (both the original and remake).

They are also into TV. They currently have a few shows in production like "Teen Wolf" in it's third or fourth season on MTV, "Vikings" on the History channel, and the new "Fargo" show in FX. Other popular MGM television shows over the years includes Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Logan's Run, Robocop, and Chips.

If UV is still around in a couple of years or so then I think MGM will join UV.
                          I did not say "MGM is small"; I said "they're too small to create their own DMA" (which you essentially agreed with). MGM does have a large catalog (even though WB, not MGM, owns Castle Rock Entertainment) and it still has some viable TV series, but it is no longer a viable movie studio; all its current film productions are shared with other studios (i.e., Bond and the new Robocop at Sony, The Hobbit at WB). The whole reason for its most recent Chapter 11 is its mid-2000's business model was based on home-video sales continuing to grow, when in fact they peaked in 2004.

More than likely MGM is still hesitant about UV because they're not sure it'll work, but from what happened to the music industry I'm more afraid of what will happen to the movie industry if UV doesn't work. DRM-free EST is not a viable option for movies like it was for music; and if iTunes is still the 800-pound gorilla of music even after it abandoned DRM, if UV doesn't work there's not much hope for EST in movies beyond iTunes, maybe Google Play & Amazon, and even less likely Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
                            I finally also bit the bullet and bought 2 of these (Red Dawn and The Terminator). I didn't have Red Dawn but I bought The Terminator again to complete my digital Terminator collection.
                            I can't believe I waited this long to watch the original Red Dawn. I liked it especially since it was filmed in my home town of Las Vegas, NM. There were a lot of familiar places and even one place that I used to work.

Comment

Dances with Wolves is available for purchase again. I just bought it, I'm sure it will be UV D2D or on sale next week lol!

Comment

that's how it goes! lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X