Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

No Digital Audio - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Definitely a Conflict with the Denon

Originally posted by HD_Dude View Post
    OK...I've narrowed it down further.

Yes, the HDMI audio comes through the Sony TV. So it is putting out digital audio. Thanks HH.

(Unfortunately though, the Sony XBR does not allow digital audio to pass from the HDMI to its digital optical output. The Sony's digital output is only hot when using the tuner. So, I can't loop it from the Vudu through the Sony's HDMI and out via digital optical to the Denon)

So...there's a fundamental incompatibility between the upgraded Vudu and the Denon. Again, all audio sources worked prior to the software upgrade.

And thanks for the encouraging words! I'll keep it, in hopes that a Vudu genius can fix me up.

Happy holidays, everyone!
    Well, you have the 30 day money back guarantee as a safety net, and like I said earlier, I'd be willing to make a wager that Volker and the HDMI team will be able to solve this problem when he returns from Germany.

Comment

Re: Definitely a Conflict with the Denon

Originally posted by HD_Dude View Post
      (Unfortunately though, the Sony XBR does not allow digital audio to pass from the HDMI to its digital optical output. The Sony's digital output is only hot when using the tuner. So, I can't loop it from the Vudu through the Sony's HDMI and out via digital optical to the Denon)
      Happy holidays, everyone!
      For what it's worth (otherwise known as FWIW for lazy typists), here's an HDMI switch I just bought last month that works well for me.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20matr...x2%20port.html

It rips the audio from the HDMI signal and routes it to an optical out port to connect to your stereo. I have 3 HDMI devices connected to it and the optical out connected to my Bose system.

So I'm not saying you should buy one, but I would be curious to see if it would bypass the audio out problem you're having with the VUDU box.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Comment

Re: No Digital Audio - Help!

Hi,

Just to make sure - did you try the stereo pcm output setting for the digital audio outputs on the vudu box? ...those should always work. We have seen problems before with some higher end equipment (don't ask me why mostly the high end gear fails) with dolby digital. My best guess is that it has something to do with error concealment on the decoder side... ...might be fixable if we can get the failing audio equipment in house.

Hagen

Comment

Originally posted by Hagen View Post
          Hi,

Just to make sure - did you try the stereo pcm output setting for the digital audio outputs on the vudu box? ...those should always work. We have seen problems before with some higher end equipment (don't ask me why mostly the high end gear fails) with dolby digital. My best guess is that it has something to do with error concealment on the decoder side... ...might be fixable if we can get the failing audio equipment in house.

Hagen

Hi...

Yes, I tried PCM as well. Nothing.

And yes, in its day the Denon 5700 was their flagship receiver. But in years of use, it's decoded every digital signal under the sun. Always. And as I said, it worked with the Vudu during the guided setup...and only went silent after the unit did an automatic software update. Something in that update triggered the incompatibility.

And it is, in fact, incompatibility between Vudu and high-end gear. The Denon is not 'failing audio equipment.' It works with absolutely every single digital signal out there...except the Vudu.

We've troubleshot everything. Seems to me we can do one of two things:

1.) Try to track down the incompatibility

2.) roll back my software to the version it shipped with, and turn off my automatic updates. The original software worked. Can you get inside my box and roll it back?

My box number is 0xd232

Thanks again for your help. Fix this and I'll stay with Vudu forever!

Comment

I'm not sure if Vudu can roll your software back and prevent future updates and I'm not sure you'd want that. But...

1.) I am certain they can fix the issue if you give them a few weeks. Volker, our HDMI expert, is on holiday in Germany. He's got to look into some other audio issues when he returns and we'll make sure he looks into yours.

2.) Did you try the audio burst setting? Might not help but it's worth a shot.

3.) Is there possibly a firmware update available for your Denon? Not sure if it has an RS-232 port on it but if it does, it's possible that there's a firmware update. My Denon AVR2808-CI has an incompatibility with my LG DVD player. It works with all other HDMI products I own except my DVD player. So I know what your frustration is (but fortunately, my TV supports audio loopback). Still, I've heard there's firmware updates for my model Denon but I just haven't looked into it yet.

I can guarantee you that Vudu will work with you to fix it. If you look at some of the old threads you'll find places where they do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              I'm not sure if Vudu can roll your software back and prevent future updates and I'm not sure you'd want that. But...

1.) I am certain they can fix the issue if you give them a few weeks. Volker, our HDMI expert, is on holiday in Germany. He's got to look into some other audio issues when he returns and we'll make sure he looks into yours.

2.) Did you try the audio burst setting? Might not help but it's worth a shot.

3.) Is there possibly a firmware update available for your Denon? Not sure if it has an RS-232 port on it but if it does, it's possible that there's a firmware update. My Denon AVR2808-CI has an incompatibility with my LG DVD player. It works with all other HDMI products I own except my DVD player. So I know what your frustration is (but fortunately, my TV supports audio loopback). Still, I've heard there's firmware updates for my model Denon but I just haven't looked into it yet.

I can guarantee you that Vudu will work with you to fix it. If you look at some of the old threads you'll find places where they do just that.

I appreciate the help and guidance being offered here. And I'm excited to hear that VUDU won't give up.

Yes, I tried the audio burst setting, nothing. And like all my troubleshooting, I tried it in every scenario of settings, outputs and inputs...no change.

And no firmware upgrade is available for my Denon. Darn.

However, in the Denon 5700 manual, I found this passage which may be relevant:

Some DVD digital outputs have the function of switching the Dolby Digital signal output method between "bit stream" and "(convert to) PCM". When playing in Dolby Digital surround on the AVR-5700, switch the DVD player's output mode to "bit stream". In some cases players are equipped with both "bit stream + PCM" and "PCM only" digital outputs. In this case connect the "bit stream + PCM" jacks to the AVR-5700.

I know this is about DVD players, but is there ary connection to the VUDU?

Thanks again...

Comment

...this would be the first case where a receiver doesn't work with PCM output. Unless we broke something with the PCM output in our latest release. We'll have to look into that. But you might have to wait a little bit, since this problem won't be easy to track down... ...it also doesn't help that most of us are enjoying the holiday break with a little vacation.

I'll let you know if we find anything...

Hagen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagen View Post
                  ...this would be the first case where a receiver doesn't work with PCM output. Unless we broke something with the PCM output in our latest release. We'll have to look into that. But you might have to wait a little bit, since this problem won't be easy to track down... ...it also doesn't help that most of us are enjoying the holiday break with a little vacation.

I'll let you know if we find anything...

Hagen.
                  Thanks, I appreciate it.

And I suppose it's possible that something changed in the latest release, since it worked out of the box, and stopped as soon as it updated to the latest software.

Many thanks!

Comment

Hi again Hagen...

If you're someplace having a killer vacation, please forgive me. But something tells me you love this stuff...so if that's true...

An idea: Is there any way to individually roll back my box to the previous software version?

If you could, and it restored digital audio, then we might be closer to figuring this out.

And yes, I do love the Vudu. So much that I'm researching the possibility of buying a brand-new Denon AV receiver. But that wouldn't figure out the problem; only ignore it.

Thanks again, and if you're on vacation, I hope you have a blast. You all deserve it!

Comment

HD_Dude,

I want to commend you for being such a good sport through this, and for being patient. I've been working with the Vudu engineers for almost 2 years now and I have been amazed how much dedication they put into solving problems like this. I'd wager they'll solve your problem fairly quickly after everbody gets back from the holidays. Given the fact that you had sound to begin with, it's probably going to be a software bug they can squash.

Comment

Yep, I'm on vacation, but if I don't check these forums every so often it'll be impossible to catch up when I'm back at work next year... ...seems like a lot of people got a box for x-mas.

It's not trivial to roll back individual boxes and this roll back could be dangerous too, since data on the disk could have been changed by the newer software and older software could get confused by that...

Hagen.

Comment

I'm Having the same issue- no digital audio out.

Comment

First post. But I searched first.

Seems you've established that the box has (or should have) simulataneous audio output from all ports. My problem is similar to others in that the audio stream from the HDMI cable is working fine to the Philips HDTV. However none of the other audio outs seem to be working. I have tried them all into a host of different devices from a Philips HTIB to a Marantz preamp, a Philips receiver, Meridian, Audio research, Threshold and Kenwood Pro preamps. No luck. Is there a firmware flash that can activate them or am I missing a menu item to turn them on?

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

I have just experienced this same scenario with a client's Denon AVR-5700. Additionally the same issue has surfaced with our Lexicon RV-8 for our demo room. This was previously working without any issue. As to when exactly the issue surfaced I am not sure.

As far as the Lexicon issue goes I have both analog and digital coax connected. When a digital coax signal is present it will overide the analog signal. The unit is definitely sensing the digital audio signal but it is not processing it. Unfortunately I do not have a current gen Lexicon unit in stock to do a comparison. But I did test the Vudu on an Integra receiver and had no issues.

I hope there is a quick resolution to this issue. While I understand that there can be unforseen issues with updates, random issues like this can give the false perception that the product is not reliable or unstable. Especially when it happens with higher end brands such as Lexicon. Not to mention client perception when the first time they try to use the unit it deos not work properly.

I have total confidence Vudu will resolve this issue and look forward to this issue being corrected soon. However if possible could this thread be updated with the current status and possible ETA of a solution.

Thanks.

Comment

We found one issue that got introduced with the 2.0 software release and only seems to affect a few receivers.

One of our beta testers reports that digital audio now works for him again on his avr-5700. So I'm pretty hopeful that the Lexicon receiver will work again as well.

I'm not 100% sure about the release schedule, but the new release should go out soon...

Hagen.

Comment

Working...
                                X