Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Audio Dropout on resume from pause/FF/RW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Dropout on resume from pause/FF/RW

Many new Onkyo A/V (605/705/805) owners are aware that for some reason on the DTV HR20, there is a 2-3 loss in audio when resuming from pass or trick play functions. Many people only see this behavior despite having many devices that allow pause/rw/fw.

In this thread at DBS http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=110381, an engineer used a Dolby bistream analyzer to show that upon resume of play from a trick play mode the HR20 basically spits out garbage for a few seconds. This coupled with a receiver that may be a bit slower re-handshaking with the audio signal makes the problem very obvious. It was believe to mainly be the HR20 device as the root cause with the Onkyo's apparently no being as graceful in dealing with a garbage output.

Well I just received my Vudu box and like it quite a bit however this exact same problem occurs on the Vudu, but not my HD-DVD player or PS3. This is the first time I've heard of someone identifying a box other than a newer DTV reciver that has the same audio drop out.

I did find the option in the advanced settings to have contstant audio out which doesn't fix the issue. In the diagnosis of the HR20 in the thread I linked the person highlighted that the HR20 was doing the right thing while paused or FF (as evidence by DD lights and sounds modes staying constant on peoples receivers during pause/RW/FF) it is only the return to normal play that triggers the issue.

I am wondering if the engineers at Vudu have any ideas or input on this as I feel it is more likely to get engagement from them than from DTV.

Thanks
    Brian

Re: Audio Dropout on resume from pause/FF/RW

If your VUDU is running 1.2 of the software there is an option:

Info and Settings->Advanced Setting->Constant Audio

This will keep the digital output active while the movie is paused/resumed instead of turning it off. This was implemented to handle the scenario that you have described.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post

This will keep the digital output active while the movie is paused/resumed instead of turning it off. This was implemented to handle the scenario that you have described.
      I think he found that option .

-- Greg

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post

Yes, as Greg pointed out, I have found this option and it does not fix the issue for me.

That is of course assuming that I don't need to reset my Vudu somehow to make it take effect.

Comment

With constant audio enabled we are basically inserting an SPDIF pause burst to tell the equipment to flush the buffers, after that we stop sending data. That explains why you won't see any signal on your receiver display during pause. However, this should be enough to make sure that you won't get any clicks etc.
          It could be that the Onkyo goes into some sort of standby mode on pause and needs some time to wake up (or it just ignores the pause burst). I could try to send a longer sequence of null packets instead of the pause burst and see if that helps (to justify the UI feature name "constant audio"). I will try to get my hands on an Onkyo and play around with it...

Comment

Originally posted by VolkerS View Post
            With constant audio enabled we are basically inserting an SPDIF pause burst to tell the equipment to flush the buffers, after that we stop sending data. That explains why you won't see any signal on your receiver display during pause. However, this should be enough to make sure that you won't get any clicks etc.
            It could be that the Onkyo goes into some sort of standby mode on pause and needs some time to wake up (or it just ignores the pause burst). I could try to send a longer sequence of null packets instead of the pause burst and see if that helps (to justify the UI feature name "constant audio"). I will try to get my hands on an Onkyo and play around with it...
            I don't pretend to know all the details.
            However reading the thread I linked to, the device should be sending pause data and it does seem to do this properly as while paused my receiver stays locked in the correct audio mode.

It is when the device is unpaused where the issue occurs. In the case of the HR20, the dolby analyzer showed that the HR20 was sending pause data and an unrecognized bitstream signal for a few seconds after unpausing which confuses the receiver. The effect I am seeing on the Vudu is identical.

I would strongly recommend more testing with the newer breed of Onkyo receivers as they are becoming very popular for their unmatched mix of quality/features/price but this issue is a concern for Onkyo owners. I will say I also would hope that Onkyo would be able to improve/fix this in the future too but given that it is input device specific, there should be something that could be done.

I would be more than willing to beta test any solutions you may have to offer.

Comment

I will look into it. Does the delay occur after trickplay as well or only after pause?

Comment

I will look into it. Does the delay occur after trickplay as well or only after pause?
                It happens after trickplay as well. While I am in pause or FFing/RWing my receivers display shows the correct audio mode. As soon as I hit play, the audio mode blanks out and takes 2-3 seconds to reconnect.

Comment

One more question: do you connect audio through HDMI or coax/optical? Or do they behave the same?

Comment

One more question: do you connect audio through HDMI or coax/optical? Or do they behave the same?
                    Through HDMI however on the HR20 I've tried both and they both had the issue. Will try this on the vudu as well and report back.

Comment

Btw, I was working on a related issue with Marantz receivers (audio crackle on resume) and have a fix for our 1.3 release. It is very likely that this fixes your problem as well. I will try to find an Onkyo and verify that thi sis the case.

Comment

Btw, I was working on a related issue with Marantz receivers (audio crackle on resume) and have a fix for our 1.3 release. It is very likely that this fixes your problem as well. I will try to find an Onkyo and verify that thi sis the case.
                        That makes me all tingly. Now if only we could get some response from DTV on the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by brianp6621 View Post
                          That makes me all tingly. Now if only we could get some response from DTV on the issue.
                          You'd be amazed at what Vudu's engineering staff does to duplicate and fix issues people have. They have gone and purchased the equipment just to fix an issue in a particular brand. This is what makes Vudu so different from other companies...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                            You'd be amazed at what Vudu's engineering staff does to duplicate and fix issues people have. They have gone and purchased the equipment just to fix an issue in a particular brand. This is what makes Vudu so different from other companies...
                            That's good to hear. Now we need them open an outlet store and give us good deals on the equipment they don't need anymore

Comment

Originally posted by brianp6621 View Post
                              Good Luck on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X