Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME

Try this speed test and change the location to LA to upload and download to and from. I fought Comcast for 4 months with the same issue. It was only resolved when I changed the DNS servers, if two servers are listed in your router you have to change both.

I actually confirmed that it was a Comcast issue for me. Had to get a senior tech out to check the system.

The guys at VUDU may know that an ISP is not optimal but they need, if your a lawyer you'd understand, to keep their mouths shut and not throw them under the bus.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Comment

Tcfish: Thanks for the reply. I used benchmark to obtain the highest DNS servers for my area. The best happens to be Comcast Denver. I have tried Vudu's primary DNS servers 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2, but Comcast Denver is way better.
      On the issue of Vudu's not coming out with real info on Comcast, that would be foolish on their part. Vudu's survival may be on the line and to survive, you can't wimp out. But I'm thinking Vudu is the problem both technically and with being open about their current limitations. Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by lglmoris@nm.net View Post
        I have an LG 570 which I purchased specifically to have access to VUDU. I've had the unit for about 1 month. I, along with many others, have had problems with streaming at all quality levels, SD, HD, HDX. I have Comcast 16mbps. I have repeatedly tested and verfiied the speed. I have tried all of the fixes and none have improved VUDU's performance on my LG 570. I do not have any problems with any other service-e.g. Netflix, Pandora, Roxio, etc. I find that the streaming problem is most acute during prime time. (6:00pm to 11:00pm) My suspicion is that VUDU does not have the equipment - servers, storage, etc. to satisfy the demand at prime time.

With Walmart's acquisition of the company, my hope is Walmart will make a substantial investment in equipment and infrastructure to accomidate what is likely to be a substantial increase in demand as consumers purchase LG, Samsung, & other TVs and BR players with VUDU access. If Walmart fails to do this, it is likely VUDU will fade quickly from the scene.

I would appreciate serious discussion and detailed comments from VUDU's technical staff regarding this. Thanks, Kerry

Kerry.....thanks for bringing this up. I have also asked the question on "pixelation issues". I have comcast highspeed with power boost and run about 18MPS. On the VUDU test I ran 14529 kbps (well above what it calls for for SD, HD and HDX. I have only rented HD in the past 2 weeks. I rented Ninja Assasin and the newer Dawn of the Dead. Both had the pixelation and never have an issue with Pandora or Netflix. I was told that Netflix streams at SD quality. I could have gotten bum info. I have the LG BD590 and have similar issues. The pixelation issues happen quite a few times through the films and is "very" annoying to say the least. I agree 100% on the Walmart comment.

Comment

Tcfish: Thanks for the reply. I used benchmark to obtain the highest DNS servers for my area. The best happens to be Comcast Denver. I have tried Vudu's primary DNS servers 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2, but Comcast Denver is way better.
          On the issue of Vudu's not coming out with real info on Comcast, that would be foolish on their part. Vudu's survival may be on the line and to survive, you can't wimp out. But I'm thinking Vudu is the problem both technically and with being open about their current limitations. Kerry
          VUDU does not run DNS servers, DNS 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2 belong to Level3, a CLEC are are available for anyone to use. They aren?t the fastest but they are easy to remember and they always seem to work. Many times the DNS built into routers are caching DNS's that don't fully follow DNS rules for expired entries. That is why you were asked to configure using a more reliable DNS host.

On your other comment, why should VUDU come out with real info on Comcast? VUDU has no impact to how they run their business. They don't have any type of partnership with Comcast. From VUDU's point of view Comcast is just a open pipe to your house. Anything can happen between the CDN where movies are streamed from and past experiences has shown that the local ISP has the most control on your internet bandwidth.

Also I am still waiting to see your test results using the VUDU speed test I posted in this thread. It's real important to look at the speedtest node that is in the CDN location vs. a speedtest node that is located on some ISP backbone. Here is the link again:

http://speedtest.vudu.com/cdn1/

Comment

Ron: I'm working with AdamS on trace testing. I have repeatedly run the vudu and speedtest.net tests. Vudu's runs from 12mbps down to 1.0 depending on the time of day. Speedtest and the others 2wire, speakeasy la, cox las vegas, are all consistant and much higher than vudu.
            As far as I'm concerned, Vudu is the issue not Comcast. Kerry

Comment

Kerry,

Thanks for the update...I didn't know that you were providing traces already. One thing you have to understand about the internet, there are multiple paths between the source of the data and your house. Sometimes the backbone owners have a route mis-configured that puts too much traffic down a pipe that cannot handle it. Or even worse a line is down and they have to use high latency routes.

I have managed many a network that relied on using the internet for their VPN connections between offices. Some days can really be frustrating if the bandwidth drops off or connections cannot be made. And since we were a endpoint in the public internet all our network vendors can do is say its clear to the hop on or hop off point.

I hope that traces you are providing helps nail down the bottleneck between you and the CDN.

Comment

All --

We are working with Kerry directly to resolve his streaming issues. However, if you are reading this and are also experiencing similar issues, please contact our Customer Care at (888)554-VUDU(8838). We will need to gather your network information and will assign you a case number. If we do not resolve your issue the first time you call, we will have a tech call you back to assist with troubleshooting your network.

Comment

Ron: I'm working with AdamS on trace testing. I have repeatedly run the vudu and speedtest.net tests. Vudu's runs from 12mbps down to 1.0 depending on the time of day. Speedtest and the others 2wire, speakeasy la, cox las vegas, are all consistant and much higher than vudu.
                  As far as I'm concerned, Vudu is the issue not Comcast. Kerry
                  Sounds like when I had Comcast. The SPeeds would vary from hour to hour and minute to minute depending on how many other people were online in the area. Weekday evenings were the worst.
                  WIth my FIOS connection, it's always 35mbs anytime of the day, any day of the week.

Comment

aaronwt: I wish I had the chocie. Unfortunately, Comcast is the only high speed internet provider in my neighborhood.

Also, based on the traces thus far, it appears the problem is a routing issue which results in a latency or delay between my router and Vudu's public server. I am able to receive a consistant bit rate-stream from a non-public Vudu server, regardless of the time of day. This suggests the problem may lie with how Comcast treats steaming from Vudu's public server and how Vudu's server communicates with Comcast and my router. Updates will follow as more information becomes available. Any imput on this is greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure by Vudu. Thanks, Kerry

Comment

Kerry, If I may ask, what kind of router are you using?? Is it B, G, N or both G and N? I have comcast and they now supply you with a N router at NO charge to you as long as you have their service. No router rental fees at all. However the router they supply someone at best buy told me is the worst on the market. They supply possibly the lowest grade Netgear out there. I bought a new router last night and am going to hook it up hopefully tonight or tomorrow and rent an HD or HDX title and see what happens...

Comment

I have a question. With the number of different network segments the data has to travel on from Vudu to the TV, and the fact that the weakest link anywhere along that path will dictate the maximum throughput, doesn't this mean that it could be any thing along the way and not necessarily Comcast or Vudu specifically. It would seem to be just related to where you actually lived more than anything as that would be what dictates the path the data must travel.

You would think this would lead to the situation that we seem to have here. That is, many people that are using Comcast to watch Vudu (myself included) find that it works perfectly fine but a small number of users have consistent problems. There was one guy with a consistent problem up in Alaska and from those comments it seemed to be some problem getting the data up there specifically.

This would also mean that speed tests run via 2wire, etc. would be irrelevant as you would be testing different data paths than the Vudu data actually has to travel. Again that wouldn't indicate it's Vudu's or Comcast's "fault" that there are problems in this specific situation.

Comment

daivdp & redwein:
                          1st my LG 570 and computers are hardwired into a Netgear WNR3500 that is connected to a Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I own both of these. In Albuquerque Comcast charges for modems and does not offer routers.

2nd Vudu has advised that it may be an issue with them or Comcast based on the traces. The traces so far reveal two possible problems:

"[1]. We [Vudu]are routing your content incorrectly causing very high latency times - we would be able to fix this.

[2]. Your ISP (Comcast) is forcing our content to be routed in this manner (New Mexico to Denver to LA to Phoenix is an unnecessary route which would cause high latency and our content to buffer) - we would not be able to fix this, only Comcast would be able to do so."

Additionally, as stated before: I only experience this problem with Vudu's
                          public server. I do not experience a streaming problem while using one of Vudu's private or in house servers. Thanks for the imput. Kerry

Comment

Thanks for the info. That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought you could do anything on the sending/Vudu side of things to cause such a circuitous route. I'm curious how this all resolves so please do post what the outcome is.

Comment

I'm finding this thread quite interesting.....I have the BX100 set top box and at present I get buffering pauses on one particular movie I purchased, Transsiberian......This issue just started about a week ago.....This purchase still resides on VUDU servers, to be streamed at any time....It may be a result of the still imperfect beta software Brazil, I don't know....Why would I get buffering pauses on one movie and not the others? I also have movies downloaded to my box as well, they are not affected....To VUDU's credit, though, I am seeing new features on the Brazil side, such as the various Dolby audio tests, Manage Downloads, there was a software update recently, etc.....I have tried to gets answers as to how much longer Brazil will be in beta, to no avail.....It has been a beta since October 2009.....I'm trying to be patient here, I hope I can get some answers...

donthetech

Comment

I understand your frustration, Kerry. The main issue I see with you, as with my situation, is that I've never experienced a problem with Netflix, YouTube etc. ONLY with Vudo. I had a ROKU for about a year, and that worked perfectly, even when my connection to Time Warner Cable was only 10Mbps.

Now, after experiencing problems on my LG BD570 (which, by the way, is far inferior in video streaming to ROKU) I upgraded to 15Mbps. I get anywhere from 15 - 30Mbps.

So what is up with that. I understand shared bandwidth (I do not use DSL or FIOS) but come on. NO issues when I use ROKU, and BIG issues when streaming Vudu on my LG.

I hope an administrator is also reading this and can respond to me. I spent too much money on a new TV, A/V Receiver and Blu Ray player to then get sh*tty video streaming with an inferior service and/or player.

Thanks,
                                Scott A. (New York)

Comment

Working...
                                X