Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Compression Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: User-requested enhancements & features?

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
    I'm debating semantics with you!
    Anybody who complains about Jon's rants is guilty of antisemanticism.

Comment

No. Hodgy will still be complaining about something then!

Hodgy - I love ya man!

Ditto.

I'll keep complaining until the world is as perfect as me!! I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
        The VOD services are more about compromise and convenience. I'm not expecting it to be as good as a BD/HD DVD, but in sacrificing that I get instant viewing of a title, no waiting. And I think that is a decent trade off.
        I'm not expecting VOD to provide a lossless reproduction of the source content. Because, I just don't think with todays technology, it's feasable.

But what I do think is feasable and should be done is for someone to come up with a scientific (not subjective) metric or benchmark that measures the amount of loss that is introduced from transmission of the source content to the resulting destination content.

With some benchmark like that, we could at least put a stake in the ground and be able to set a goal and be able to measure the progress of acheiving 0% loss as technology improves.

Such a benchmark would be totally independent of how the content is transmitted or how large the destination content is, it would simply compare the loss of the resulting destination content from the source.

Comment

Hey Hodge,

You do know that most of your questions have answers all over the internet right? (deep answers too, that take days to come up with )
          Have you developed an allergy to search engines?

One of the first google results leads directly to http://pdiff.sourceforge.net/ .
          The "video compression" search into wikipedia takes you directly to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression ... which is very informative and has a link to your holy grail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_video_quality

-- Greg

Comment

Why I am being specific in saying that there are no "lost" pixels has a purpose. The poster who kinda started this discussion suggested that Vudu's HD content might not really be HD. In reality that would mean that the pixel count of the content is not 1024 x 768 or higher or as in Vudu's case 1920 x 1280. The fact is that there is always 1920 x 1280 pixels. I felt that your statement of "losing" pixels indicates that maybe the initial 2,457,600 pixels is some number less than that. My point is that the resolution in pixels of the picture does not degrade. The quality of the image degrades but the pixel count stays the same.

I'm debating semantics with you!
            Technically then, you could replace a vivid high detail image with a full pixel count white sreen and claim no "loss" of pixels. I still believe the terminology I used was correct. What I was trying to get across to that guy was that what Vudu does is far superior to an upscaling DVD player since they have to fabricate pixels out of nothing. Intelligent compression starts with a perfect source and renders it somewhat less perfect but in a very intelligent way so as to retain detail where it is important and allow it to be lost when it is less so. That's what I was trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
              Hey Hodge,

You do know that most of your questions have answers all over the internet right? (deep answers too, that take days to come up with )
              -- Greg
              All I know is that everytime I go to the Rest, I come back to the Best. You!!!

(Thanks for the links)

Comment

One of the first google results leads directly to http://pdiff.sourceforge.net/
                What did you enter for your search, Martinis or Meds??? I get something different. It's usually about someone called Timothy Leary.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                  Intelligent compression starts with a perfect source and renders it somewhat less perfect.
                  There you go with the Oxy-Morons again!!!

Comment

Hey Hodge,

One of the first google results leads directly to http://pdiff.sourceforge.net/ .
                    The "video compression" search into wikipedia takes you directly to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression ... which is very informative and has a link to your holy grail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_video_quality

-- Greg
                    I quickly purused those links, but it still boils down that you have the source and destination content to compare and I don't. I only have the destination, so no matter how much time I spend on this, I will only be able to speculate.

So I guess I would call this this a "User-requested enhancement or feature" for VUDU to provide some sort of non-subjective video loss metric for it's service.

But I have a feeling it would be easier for me to fly to Thailand and back for a fun day on the strip than to get that!!

Comment

Having a third tier of content that would be on the level of Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versions had been discussed previously (probably more than once too). Ideally, I'd like to see the day when we can get exactly duplicates of high-def discs (with multiple audio tracks, subtitles, extras, etc.) on demand. However, that's probably way off, but I don't see a problem with having a choice between Instant HD vs. BR-Quality Delayed HD.

A Blu-Ray quality movie is probably going to be, what, 25-40 GB once you remove all the extra stuff and keep high-bitrate video + DD5.1 soundtrack that Vudu can use, right? So even if that means waiting 6-10 times longer, it's still going to be quicker than doing Netflix. Plus, with 30-day rental windows, we can cue up the downloads and have 10+ movies available ("+" for when we get to expand storage using external HDDs).

Bottom line is that just like Rental vs. Purchase debate depends on personal preferences, so does Instant HD vs higher-quality delayed HD. And as long as a consumer is given a choice between those options, then I see no harm in having third tier of quality.

Comment

Well it would take extra resources for Vudu and complicate the UI just for starters. I think, from a strategy standpoint, it makes perfect sense to pursue the instant gratification angle and become the king of it. Waiting 12-20 hours for a movie (using your 6 to 10 times longer guess) is certainly nothing I would ever do. I would guess most others wouldn't either, given the excellent quality available instantly.

The main benefit of Vudu for me is that I can decide what I want to watch when I want to watch it. That defines Vudu for me and I think that is what they are pushing as their reason for existance as well. My mood isn't static and I really don't know beforehand what it is that I will watch. I want Vudu to focus 100 perent of their effort on that.

Comment

which is very informative and has a link to your holy grail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_video_quality

-- Greg
                          I bought you a copy of this for your birthday.

VQLab 1.1

Comment

Technically then, you could replace a vivid high detail image with a full pixel count white sreen and claim no "loss" of pixels. I still believe the terminology I used was correct. What I was trying to get across to that guy was that what Vudu does is far superior to an upscaling DVD player since they have to fabricate pixels out of nothing. Intelligent compression starts with a perfect source and renders it somewhat less perfect but in a very intelligent way so as to retain detail where it is important and allow it to be lost when it is less so. That's what I was trying to say.
                            Very funny on that first sentence! Technically yes.

But I agree with you 100% on the rest there. That's correct!

Comment

I think you are wrong. Just look what happens with the blockiness of a low detail image. That seems to suggest that there is a bigger delta than a high detail scene where you can read fine print in a newspaper.
                              Here's another possible explanation to prove that you haven't yet proved I am wrong.

SSIM

SSIM is a more complex metric based on different properties of the Human Visual System (HVS) that is starting to replace PSNR as the most widely use metric. It estimates the quality of the video much better (a higher correlation with subjective assessment) by subtracting information from the frames like luminance, contrast and structure information, and comparing those estimated values instead of directly comparing pixels. The metric is based on the fact that the HVS is more sensitive to structural changes in videos than to luminance and contrast changes.

The HVS (Human Visual System) behaves in a similar way, being more sensitive to changes in the darker areas of a picture.

Comment

Ok, Here is what I think is proof. If you take a solid image (every pixel is the same), compress it with a lossy format then decompress it, you should get the exact same image back since there is no reason for the decompression algorithm to invent any new pixel values. Obviously this will only be true for a very small number of images or the compression would be lossless or very near lossless by definition.

As long as there is one case where the data loss differs between 2 images, it would be proven that the rate of loss is not constant.

BTW, I just did an experiment. I went into MS Paint, created a solid color image and saved it as a tif file. I then reopened it and saved it as a jpg file. I then reopened that and saved it as another tif file. The first tif file and the second were identical. I then opened a photograph in paint and saved it as a tif file. I then opened that and saved it as a jpg file. I then reopened that and saved it as a tif file. Those 2 tif files had significant differences at the byte level. I was also able to visibly see differences when I looked at the 2 tif photos but obviously saw no difference in the solid image.

Good enough as proof?
                                Last edited by redwein; 05-17-2008, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X