Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

5.1 upgrade needed for certain titles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.1 upgrade needed for certain titles!

There are many films that have an available 5.1 soundtrack that is not being utilized by VUDU, even for HD & HDX, including:

"On the Waterfront"
    "The Godfather" Trilogy
    "Singin in the Rain"
    "L.A. Confidential"
    "Goodfellas"
    "Unforgiven"
    "Full Metal Jacket"
    "Psycho"
    "The Wild Bunch"
    "Do the Right Thing"
    "Reservoir Dogs"
    "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
    "2001: A Space Odyssey"
    "Hamlet"
    "Dirty Harry"
    "Reds"
    "Deliverance"
    "Three Kings"
    "Barry Lyndon"
    "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring & Return of the King" (Weird that "Two Towers" has 5.1 though...)
    "Million Dollar Baby"
    "Raising Arizona"
    "The Shining"
    "The Shawshank Redemption"
    "A Clockwork Orange"
    "Ben-Hur" (and fix that awful picture quality too)
    "The Matrix"
    "A History of Violence"
    "The Aviator"
    "Once Upon A Time in America"
    "Mystic River"
    "Batman Begins"
    "Doctor Zhivago"
    "The Fisher King"
    "Empire of the Sun"
    "American History X"
    "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
    "Magnum Force"
    "The Ten Commandments"
    "The Green Mile"
    "Leon: The Professional"
    "The Thin Red Line"
    "Eyes Wide Shut"
    "The Name of the Rose"
    "High Anxiety"
    "V for Vendetta"
    "Chariots of Fire"

I'm sure there have to be many others (and feel free to post others that are stereo only too) but these are the ones from my collection with this issue. 5.1 surround enhances the viewing experience so much, which is why it would be great if at least the titles in bold (my favorites) could have their audio upgraded to 5.1 surround like they should!

Re: 5.1 upgrade needed for certain titles!

Here are a few more ST=Stereo:
    The Fifth Element (SD:ST, HD:5.1, HDX:ST)
    Star Trek 6:The Undiscovered Country (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Star Trek:The Motion Picture (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Die Hard (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Die Hard with a Vengence (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Matrix Reloaded (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Matrix Revolutions (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Resident Evil: Apocalypse (SD:ST, HD:5.1, HDX:ST)
    Entrapment (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    The Fugitive (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    US Marshals (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Doc Hollywood (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Risky Business (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Dave (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Blow (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    The American President (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Unknown)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Unknown)
    Independence Day (SD:ST, HD:ST, HDX:ST)

While I'm complaining, I see these are not available from Vudu in HDX on my PC, even if you purchase them:
    King's Speech (SD Only)
    Star Trek 3:The Search for Spock (SD Only)
    Star Trek: Insurrection (SD Only)
    Aeon Flux (SD Only)
    Conspiracy Theory (SD/HD Only)
    US Marshals (SD Only)
    Risky Business (SD Only)
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (SD Only)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (SD Only)

Odd that some HP and Star Trek are in HDX, and some are SD only.

Comment

Stranger yet, there are many titles that have the 5.1 audio encode on the HD version but only 2-channel audio on the HDX version. A couple of mine are Species 2 and Species 3. I have had a ticket with Vudu since August of last year but they say they can't get the correct encode from the studio.

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
        Stranger yet, there are many titles that have the 5.1 audio encode on the HD version but only 2-channel audio on the HDX version.
        I marked two on my list:
        The Fifth Element
        Resident Evil: Apocalypse

I'm sure there are a bunch more.

Comment

It's too bad. One would think that the HDX version of a movie would have the highest audio quality and largest number of channels but that isn't the case with movies like the Fifth Element.

Even the aspect ratio can be different between SD, HD and HDX versions. Confusing and frustrating.

Comment

Running Scared (2006)

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content...Running-Scared

Comment

Pretty bad when you go to the trouble to buy HDX and are then stuck with an old VHS quality audio encode!!

Black Hawk Down
              http://www.vudu.com/movies/#more_inf...lack-Hawk-Down

Comment

I just now found that out with 2001, a space odyssey. Not hearing the Blue Danube and Also Sprach Zarathrusta in 5.1 is criminal.

Comment

I came here specifically to create a thread about this very problem!! Apple doesn't seem to have any problem getting the proper encodes from the studios as their 2001: A Space Odyssey and older Batman movies, as well as Batman Begins for instance, all feature Apples grossly overboosted DD5.1 at a minimum and I "assumed" Vudu was always delivering DD+ with HDX. Man Vudu confuses the crud out of me.

Comment

All three Blade movies. I added them with D2D before I knew sound was not 5.1 and hated the sound and ended up buying them on Blu-ray. I would have never put them in my VUDU.

Comment

The amount of non-5.1 titles is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I just did several disc-to-digital conversions and was disappointed to see how many titles were just plain stereo (and these are not obscure titles). Ditto with the free movies I chose for Vudu sign up. Just one of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy titles is stereo while the other two are 5.1 which makes no sense at all!

This will cause me to not purchase any titles from Vudu and just use it as a backup via disc-to-digital/Ultraviolet unless they can get most of these movies re-encoded in surround.

Comment

Originally posted by craigb View Post
                        The amount of non-5.1 titles is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I just did several disc-to-digital conversions and was disappointed to see how many titles were just plain stereo (and these are not obscure titles). Ditto with the free movies I chose for Vudu sign up. Just one of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy titles is stereo while the other two are 5.1 which makes no sense at all!

This will cause me to not purchase any titles from Vudu and just use it as a backup via disc-to-digital/Ultraviolet unless they can get most of these movies re-encoded in surround.
                        I've been asking that this issue be corrected on about 20 titles I have found for the last two years or so. They just keep saying they have to get the re-encode from the studios but it never seems to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
                          I've been asking that this issue be corrected on about 20 titles I have found for the last two years or so. They just keep saying they have to get the re-encode from the studios but it never seems to happen.
                          Ditto ... I have an incident opened that was last updated on 7/15/2013 regarding the following titles that to my knowledge have not been updated yet.

- Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the ring
                          - Batman (1989) - HD has 5.1, HDX and SD are stereo
                          - Batman Returns
                          - Batman and Robin
                          - All 5 superman movies (1-4 and returns) don't even indicate what audio they use
                          - The American President
                          - Mortal Kombat
                          - In the Line of Fire
                          - Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
                          - Fantastic Four
                          - Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer - HD has 5.1, HDX and SD are stereo
                          - T3
                          - Justice League: New Frontier
                          - All 3 Matrix Movies
                          - Die Hard 1 and 3
                          - Tango and Cash
                          - Superman/Batman Public Enemies
                          - X-files: Fight the Future
                          - Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
                          - Batman: Under the Red Hood
                          - Point Break
                          - Predator
                          - Start Trek 6
                          - Batman Begins
                          - Dog Day Afternoon
                          - Mars Attacks
                          - The Bodyguard - listed as DD+ Stereo

Comment

Glad this thread got resurrected since there seems to be no rhyme or reason why these titles continue to be stereo since 5.1 or better sources have been available for some time. Perhaps the problem is that VUDU has not been proactive in obtaining new encodes or pressuring studios to produce them.

I could possibly understand why titles like Real Genius (1985) and Solaris (2002) not yet released on Blu-ray would be stereo but many other titles that have better sources for sound have not been updated.

This thread got me curious on how many titles I had converted to HDX were still in stereo.
                            • Above the Law (1988)
                            • Batman Begins (2005)
                            • Blade 1 (1998) and Blade 2 (2002)
                            • Chicken Run (2000)
                            • City of Angels (1998)
                            • Executive Decision (1996)
                            • Independence Day (1996)
                            • Lost Boys, The (1987)
                            • Point Break (1991)
                            • Predator (1987)
                            • Professional, The (1994)
                            • Purple Rain (1984)
                            • Road Warrior, The (1981)
                            • Stir of Echoes (1999)
                            • Sunshine (2007)
                            • Terminator 3 (2003)
                            • Time Cop (1994)
                            • X2: X-Men United (2003)

To add to the confusion is that I own the VUDU HDX version of The Dead Zone (1983) that is not available yet on Blu-ray but the title is Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Go figure.

Comment

Here is the original thread with more titles listed, please help VUDU folks!!!

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...-audio-quality

Comment

Working...
                              X