Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

We Don't REALLY "Own" What We Buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We Don't REALLY "Own" What We Buy.

I too have had many DVD's stolen, and some damaged. So I will never purchase physical media that doesn't come with a UV copy again.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
      I too have had many DVD's stolen, and some damaged. So I will never purchase physical media that doesn't come with a UV copy again.
      Yeah, that's what I do now. I make sure the movie comes with a UV copy unless it's an old movie.

Comment

Again, this issue is being addressed with the Common File Format, and you will be able to do what you wish with your files. I just hope it comes out before the end of the year. It is really needed for UV to grow to those people who have adopted streaming.

Comment

Again, this issue is being addressed with the Common File Format, and you will be able to do what you wish with your files. I just hope it comes out before the end of the year. It is really needed for UV to grow to those people who have adopted streaming.
          That will be nice...to be able to dowload a CFF and burn a new copy of the DVD when the original is so scratched up that it will no longer play.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
            That will be nice...to be able to dowload a CFF and burn a new copy of the DVD when the original is so scratched up that it will no longer play.
            I don't think you will be able to burn a DVD in standard DVD format if that is what you mean. Probably would need a player that can read CFF on a burned DVD to burn a new copy that you could use or just connect your hard drive with the CFF to your player.

Comment

Originally posted by JaymieX View Post
              I have just downloaded several television episodes that I purchased. Upon attempting to burn them to a DVD, I learned that they are nowhere to be found on my Mac. I contacted support, asking for assistance, and received a very short one-sentence response that they are stored in an "undisclosed file", and could not access them without the VUDU2GO App.

I purchased these television episodes, and should be able to burn them to a disc, since I own them.

How is this even remotely justifiable? We need to be able to do what we wish with the movies/titles we own, short of anything illegal. Since I own the shows I bought, I should be able to burn them to a DVD. I find this to be an unacceptable restriction; I simply wanted to make a DVD of the things I own so I could watch them at my grandparents' - downloading the app isn't possible, since they do not have internet.

Again, I own the titles; I should be able to burn them to a DVD if I so choose.
              This issue needs to be resolved. As customers, we should be allowed to do what we wish with our movies.
              If you're concerned about theft, set a limit for number of downloads. But this is not acceptable. by any means.

Comment

I think some BB settings might be disabling image embedding. I noticed the same issue recently.

Comment

I agree, we should be able to burn a disc...especially if it's UV content. If we cannot then that is another roadblock for UV acceptance.

The UV website is being updated little by little. It now seems to say that they can dictate the devices we must buy and use to watch our movies as opposed to saying we have "complete freedom" like it once said.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
                    I agree, we should be able to burn a disc...especially if it's UV content. If we cannot then that is another roadblock for UV acceptance.

The UV website is being updated little by little. It now seems to say that they can dictate the devices we must buy and use to watch our movies as opposed to saying we have "complete freedom" like it once said.
                    As far as I know, no other EST provider allows burning to DVD, so I'm not sure why stones are being thrown at UV on this issue. The option would be a nice plus to be sure, and it would definitely further differentiate UV from other EST providers. However, Amazon and iTunes did quite well prior to the arrival of UV, so I'm not really sure how the lack of dvd burning is a hindrance to UV acceptance.

To your second point, they already dictate which devices we can buy to view content. For example, all Android devices aren't supported by VUDU (for a variety of technical reasons), so the availability of the VUDU app will likely alter your purchasing decision. The DECE has the responsibility of coming up with the technical specifications and DRM supported by UV, and only those devices that "cut the mustard" so-to-speak are ones that will play your movies. So yes, they have always dictated which devices we can use to view content. The difference maker for UV is that it's the most device agnostic system. Only Amazon comes close due to it's availability on a wide range of devices, but that's a sore point for us Android users as they refuse to release a video app for Android smartphones/tablets (other than their Kindle Fire line of course).

IMO, the update makes sense, because, at least to me, "complete freedom" means DRM-free, which UV is most definitely not.

As I said in my previous reply, legally speaking, you NEVER own the content you buy, regardless of the distribution mechanism. All you ever have, and ever will have, is a license to watch the content based on the terms provided by the studio/provider/etc. UV, first and foremost, is a way of putting this license on a server somewhere so that your license isn't lost when something happens to your DVD/Blu-Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakkMajik3000 View Post
                      As far as I know, no other EST provider allows burning to DVD, so I'm not sure why stones are being thrown at UV on this issue. The option would be a nice plus to be sure, and it would definitely further differentiate UV from other EST providers. However, Amazon and iTunes did quite well prior to the arrival of UV, so I'm not really sure how the lack of dvd burning is a hindrance to UV acceptance.

To your second point, they already dictate which devices we can buy to view content. For example, all Android devices aren't supported by VUDU (for a variety of technical reasons), so the availability of the VUDU app will likely alter your purchasing decision. The DECE has the responsibility of coming up with the technical specifications and DRM supported by UV, and only those devices that "cut the mustard" so-to-speak are ones that will play your movies. So yes, they have always dictated which devices we can use to view content. The difference maker for UV is that it's the most device agnostic system. Only Amazon comes close due to it's availability on a wide range of devices, but that's a sore point for us Android users as they refuse to release a video app for Android smartphones/tablets (other than their Kindle Fire line of course).

IMO, the update makes sense, because, at least to me, "complete freedom" means DRM-free, which UV is most definitely not.

As I said in my previous reply, legally speaking, you NEVER own the content you buy, regardless of the distribution mechanism. All you ever have, and ever will have, is a license to watch the content based on the terms provided by the studio/provider/etc. UV, first and foremost, is a way of putting this license on a server somewhere so that your license isn't lost when something happens to your DVD/Blu-Ray.
                      The UV website used to claim that we had TOTAL FREEDOM over how we watched our UV movies. They have tightened the noose a bit by claiming only devices they approve of. That is not freedom, it's control. Total freedom to watch on ANY device means I can watch in my DVD player or my kids can watch on DVD in the car.

What we are now beginning to see is that we better continue to buy physical media. I have purchased a handful of digital movies in the past, but I will no longer make that mistake.

Comment

According to the UV Demystified website, you will be able to watch your UV files on your DVD player, and there will probably be several ways to do that. One is you can get a DVD mailed to you if you haven't used your physical copy. You can also use DLNA if your player supports that. I just can't wait for it to finally be launched. They keep saying this year, but time is running out!

Comment

According to the UV Demystified website, you will be able to watch your UV files on your DVD player, and there will probably be several ways to do that. One is you can get a DVD mailed to you if you haven't used your physical copy. You can also use DLNA if your player supports that. I just can't wait for it to finally be launched. They keep saying this year, but time is running out!
                          The "if your player supports that" is what I have a major problem with! Replacing VHS tapes with DVDs and then DVDs with Blu-ray is one thing...but now the industry is wanting to force us to replace DVD and Blu-ray players! Watching movies shouldn't be that expensive or complicated. I have two DVD players and three Blu-ray players and they are all in perfect working condition. I have no plans to run out an buy new devices and we shouldn't be asked to.

Comment

Every time a new format comes along, new devices are required. When DVD's came out, they weren't compatible with VHS players, and when Blu-rays came out, they weren't compatible with DVD players. I don't know why you think UV should be compatible with non internet connected DVD players. Next you will be wondering why it won't work on your VHS player! That is just the price of progress. At least UV is compatible with any Blu-ray player that has a vudu app, or DLNA. And UV isn't supposed to replace physical media, it's supposed to complement it. Also, if you look at uvvu website, it will allow you to order a copy of the movie on physical media if you bought it electronically.

Comment

Every time a new format comes along, new devices are required. When DVD's came out, they weren't compatible with VHS players, and when Blu-rays came out, they weren't compatible with DVD players. I don't know why you think UV should be compatible with non internet connected DVD players. Next you will be wondering why it won't work on your VHS player! That is just the price of progress. At least UV is compatible with any Blu-ray player that has a vudu app, or DLNA. And UV isn't supposed to replace physical media, it's supposed to complement it. Also, if you look at uvvu website, it will allow you to order a copy of the movie on physical media if you bought it electronically.
                              that is cool. Didn't know that. Thx.

For me, I am going in the reverse direction. I seriously can not remember the last time I put a disc into a player to watch a movie. Has to be going on over two years now, but I can remember the last time I watch a movie via UV. It was this morning.

I picked up where I left off last night on the first Blade movie while I was putting my socks on and watched for about ten minutes before shoving off to work.

Comment

UV has been advertised as a way to backup your DVD and Blu-ray collection, not replace it (as you stated). To complement it is to allow us total freedom as they promised and to allow us to use technology that exists today to burn a DVD if we need/want to. Oh, once I have it on DVD I think I can figure out how to get it to VHS if I really want to.

So if you have ever seen these comments made by the industry to entice people to use it and if you read the UV website a few months ago before they changed the verbiage on their site, you would understand why we feel that UV was supposed to mean total freedom to REALLY watch on any device...especially the devices we currently own. Using UV to recover a scratched DVD that we have is great, however it isn't as great as they lead us to believe since we may not be able to download that movie and burn a copy for the kids to be able to watch their favorite movies.

If we will not be able to burn a DVD from our UV locker then I just see that as a limitation (and I also feel that UV has somewhat mislead us). That will prevent me from ever buying digital copies of movies in the future. That way, if UV goes away then we still have our movie collection.

Comment

Working...
                                X