Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple - Charging Same $ for 4K as HD plus upgrading all HD movies to 4K for FREE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wow Vudu, lets get with the program

Originally posted by Texan26 View Post
    Why would they switch if all their movies are on VUDU? It's not like you can transfer your VUDU HDX movies to iTunes and get them upgraded.
    A lot of movies already come with iTunes redemptions. So they have built their libraries on both systems. Also, Vudu is available on Apple TV now for watching their library. My statement is regarding future purchases. Why would I pay 30.00 for UHD when iTunes will offer it for 20.00 or offer a free upgrade. Going forward, some users will buy HD movies on iTunes because it will automatically upgrade to 4K HDR once available. Also, Sony, Fox, and half of Lionsgate movies are not available on Vudu. That is quite a library of movies.

Comment

Apple - Charging Same $ for 4K as HD plus upgrading all HD movies to 4K for FREE!

So, today Apple announces that all 4K Movies will cost the same price as HD movies plus Apple also stated they will automatically update all iTunes purchased HD movies to 4K, I assume where possible, for FREE!

Well, these seem like pretty big announcements to me if you are into streaming purchased movies.

Years ago, I was sorted dragged kicking and screaming to Ultraviolet by purchasing Blu-rays that only had Ultraviolet Digital copies. Of course, I do like Ultraviolet movies that can be shared with up to (5) family members or friends. So, today, years later I have around 150-200 iTunes movies and probably 1500+ Vudu/Ultraviolet movies.

Hopefully, Vudu/Ultraviolet will respond in kind??? I won't hold my breath but something to hope for from a competition
      standpoint.

Comment

Re: Apple - Charging Same $ for 4K as HD plus upgrading all HD movies to 4K for FREE!

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...th-the-program

Comment

Re: Apple - Charging Same $ for 4K as HD plus upgrading all HD movies to 4K for FREE!

Sorry. Well, I did glance over the forum titles before I posted. If the other header would have been a little more self-explanatory I would have posted there. I did look at the post Vudu on Apple TV 4K. I did not look at the Vudu - let's get with program post.

Comment

Originally posted by fargus View Post
            Why would anyone pay 10-15 bucks more for the same movie in the same 4k quality? I have over 1500 movies in my vudu library and have no problem starting to give Apple my money going forward if the vudu price doesn't drop.
            Because it's Apple.

I've personally never owned any Apple Hardware over the last forty years. Although I have owned some of their software. But there was nothing mentioned today that would get me to buy any Apple Hardware.

Now if they announced that they were going to be part of Ultraviolet, then that could possibly entice me to buy an Apple TV. But without UV, there is no way I would consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by awarlock View Post
              Sorry. Well, I did glance over the forum titles before I posted. If the other header would have been a little more self-explanatory I would have posted there. I did look at the post Vudu on Apple TV 4K. I did not look at the Vudu - let's get with program post.
              I agree. Your subject line is much better. If mods want to merge the two threads, I suggest they use your subject line.

I'm also replying to echo the comments from others and ask VUDU to make a public statement on what their policy will be going forward. Vudu's disc-to-digital program is what got me on board with them, but I'm an Apple household and already own a couple of Apple TVs, and the 4k pricing structure (and free upgrades) will have me immediately holding off on making any new VUDU purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                Because it's Apple.

I've personally never owned any Apple Hardware over the last forty years. Although I have owned some of their software. But there was nothing mentioned today that would get me to buy any Apple Hardware.

Now if they announced that they were going to be part of Ultraviolet, then that could possibly entice me to buy an Apple TV. But without UV, there is no way I would consider it.
                It seems as if ultraviolet is dieing a slow death.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                  Because it's Apple.

What a great reason... because it's Apple.

Comment

Vudu has to match this offer from Apple or it's going to kill the business in the long run. As more people gravitate toward 4K, and that will happen, the advantage iTunes will have will be a game changer.

Vudu, please reassure us you are working on matching this huge announcement in the future.

Comment

So as livid me does, I've wrote all the people involved. Vudu/UV. Here is what I got back from UV

Hello Jason,

Thank you for contacting UltraViolet Customer Support.

The format of your UltraViolet titles are determined by the media provider that is used to redeem or purchase the content. For more information, please contact your media provider regarding the upgrade options.

Comment

I would love if Vudu did something similar but if they don't I'm in no rush and here's why. First off 90% of America doesn't have the bandwidth to stream uninterrupted 4K content. I can only get 20Mbps and even at a strong 18Mbps in the dead of night I get tons of buffering when trying to stream 4K content. Two I install home theaters as a hobby and unless you get a TV larger than 70" or sit closer than eight feet your not going to notice the extra resolution you just can't. Now if all titles included HDR that might be a game changer. I own a Samsung 65" 4K Ultra HDTV and have about ten UHD movies (actual discs not streaming) and I sit ten feet back and I have a hard time telling the difference between 1080p upgraded to 4K via my TV and actual 4K media. Sitting three feet away I can tell at ten feet back it's almost impossible. I own about five UHD Vudu movies but can never watch them without constant buffering. Yes it would be great to get free UHD titles for the price of HDX or get free upgrades but even if we could a majority of us can't benefit as our internet doesn't have the speed or we don't have TV's larger than 70" to see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by MattBryans View Post
                          I would love if Vudu did something similar but if they don't I'm in no rush and here's why. First off 90% of America doesn't have the bandwidth to stream uninterrupted 4K content. I can only get 20Mbps and even at a strong 18Mbps in the dead of night I get tons of buffering when trying to stream 4K content. Two I install home theaters as a hobby and unless you get a TV larger than 70" or sit closer than eight feet your not going to notice the extra resolution you just can't. Now if all titles included HDR that might be a game changer. I own a Samsung 65" 4K Ultra HDTV and have about ten UHD movies (actual discs not streaming) and I sit ten feet back and I have a hard time telling the difference between 1080p upgraded to 4K via my TV and actual 4K media. Sitting three feet away I can tell at ten feet back it's almost impossible. I own about five UHD Vudu movies but can never watch them without constant buffering. Yes it would be great to get free UHD titles for the price of HDX or get free upgrades but even if we could a majority of us can't benefit as our internet doesn't have the speed or we don't have TV's larger than 70" to see the difference.
                          First reason is because it's Apple. The second reason is it buffers for me and I can't tell the difference.

It's been noted you will need around 15 mb/s to stream 4K content on Apple's TV. Where did you get this statistic about 90% of America doesn't have the bandwidth? Was this an assumption by you? Please cite a reference.

Also, if it's buffering while you watch 4K content, this sounds like a hardware issue within your house. This is not Vudu because it works fine for me and plenty of other users.

Next, if you can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, it's either a calibration issue or your TV. As I've mentioned before, not all 4K TVs are created equal. Also, you need a TV capable of playing DV for Vudu. It makes all the difference.

Comment

Apple only just announced this... so we should give Vudu time to match it (We can't expect them to simultaneously announce the same things as Apple)

I've always defended my decision to favour Vudu over Apple and even all other UV providers,

but recently finding out how Apple deal with their Disney content - They just upgrade your owned Disney movies to the newest version and add any new bonus features instead of what Vudu did with Beauty and the Beast and recently The Lion King - make a new version that you have to buy again... and now this with free 4k upgrades.

It's getting tough, and makes me think how long we have been asking for very similar things without response like sd -HDX, and HDX to UHD when it first came out. Also topics like "the incorrect aspect ratio thread" getting bigger and bigger...

But I keep the faith! maybe blindly, but I may be in too deep with 800+ Vudu titles... If I eventually make the switch, it'll be a sad sad day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Erik Smith View Post
                              Apple only just announced this... so we should give Vudu time to match it (We can't expect them to simultaneously announce the same things as Apple)

I've always defended my decision to favour Vudu over Apple and even all other UV providers,

but recently finding out how Apple deal with their Disney content - They just upgrade your owned Disney movies to the newest version and add any new bonus features instead of what Vudu did with Beauty and the Beast and recently The Lion King - make a new version that you have to buy again... and now this with free 4k upgrades.

It's getting tough, and makes me think how long we have been asking for very similar things without response like sd -HDX, and HDX to UHD when it first came out. Also topics like "the incorrect aspect ratio thread" getting bigger and bigger...

But I keep the faith! maybe blindly, but I may be in too deep with 800+ Vudu titles... If I eventually make the switch, it'll be a sad sad day.
                              I think another frustration with Vudu regarding 4k content is the redemption process. We have to use a Google Doc to know where to redeem a code. Also, Vudu only has 121 UHD titles so far. A lot of those are duplicates and some special movies, so it's actually less.

Also, my Bambi redemption is not the latest version on Vudu as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MattBryans View Post
                                According to Speedtest.net, the average broadband speed in the U.S. is just under 55mbps (and that was last years study). Hell the average mobile speed is over 20. I check my speed regularly & it is always around 95mbps (Comcast). I'd say your 18mb puts you in the lower end minority.

As far as your resolution vs. display size comparison goes, 60" is just about the upper limit when it comes to 1080p content, but keep in mind Vudu's HDX is NOT a true 1080p representation of the source material. Compression methods & lowered bitrates contribute to a degraded image when compared to Blu-ray or even broadcast signal. If I sit 3 feet away from Vudu's stream on a 60" display, compression artifacts & a general mottled appearance are noticable. Also keep in mind that iTunes will support HDR10, which Vudu currently does not. HDR is where UHD really shows off.

I am in no way an Apple or iTunes fan, which was a major deciding factor to why I chose Vudu & UV over their proprietary platform. I am confident that Vudu MUST step up their game here, and if they don't it's possible with the advent of the upcoming Movies Anywhere system the migration to iTunes will be a detriment to their sales, and their future.

I have to say it's probably a good that installing Home Theaters is just a hobby for you, because if you showed up to install mine for pay and told me to "just sit farther away" I'd probably send you packing.

Comment

Working...
                                X