Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

New upgraded version of iOS Vudu player now available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New upgraded version of Vudu player now available!

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
    Download limits are for UV overall, but enforcement is TBD. My understanding is the limits don't apply at all until we get the Common File Format later this year.
    Thanks

Comment

I did download one movie, Ultraviolet, and I did not get captions as an option when I played the downloaded movie. I did ensure it was set to enable captions (in the ...More settings) before I started the download.
      I'll bet that the movie has to have captions to begin with before it will work on the iPad Vudu player. Does the movie have captions as a feature already? Of the 89 Vudu movies I own, only 3 have captions (A Good Day to Die Hard, The Perfect Storm and The Dark Knight Rises).

Comment

My understanding was movies that have been shown on TV with captions, must be captioned for the Internet.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/captioning...eo-programming

I assume there are loopholes, since there always are in the law. From earlier threads, I think the studios encode the movies. The deadlines vary, based on when they were shown on TV.

Maybe someone from VUDU can confirm how many movies have captions. The captioning Support page on VUDU says the movies are marked with "Available Subtitles: English" under the movie's detail page.

Comment

My understanding was movies that have been shown on TV with captions, must be captioned for the Internet.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/captioning...eo-programming

I assume there are loopholes, since there always are in the law. From earlier threads, I think the studios encode the movies. The deadlines vary, based on when they were shown on TV.

Maybe someone from VUDU can confirm how many movies have captions. The captioning Support page on VUDU says the movies are marked with "Available Subtitles: English" under the movie's detail page.

Here is what Vudu support responded with when I asked them point blank back in January.

01/29/2013 05:38 PM
          Hello,
          Thank you for contacting VUDU customer care. Actually he was not just referring to TV shows. He meant what is aired on TV, meaning tv content or movie content. Also we do not currently offer english subtitles on movies already in english. I hope this information was helpful and have a nice day.

Best regards,
          Aaron
          VUDU Customer Care
          1-888-554-VUDU (8838)
          support@vudu.com>

However, now there seems to be almost all new releases are coming with CC. Go figure...

Comment

The idea of the captions is to make the movies accessible to the hearing impaired. Sounds like someone missed the point.

I use captions quite a bit. Since we watch a lot of shows from the UK, it's sometimes hard to make out the words. They are in English, but not US English.

Comment

I checked a few of my recent movies, and none of them have captions:
              Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows(2011)
              Hunger Games(2012)
              The King's Speech (2010)
              The Hobbit (2012)

I guess this should be a different thread. The new Vudu player supports captions, it's just the movies that don't have them now. I see plenty of threads, back to the launch of VUDU asking for them.

Comment

I checked a few of my recent movies, and none of them have captions:
                Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows(2011)
                Hunger Games(2012)
                The King's Speech (2010)
                The Hobbit (2012)

I guess this should be a different thread. The new Vudu player supports captions, it's just the movies that don't have them now. I see plenty of threads, back to the launch of VUDU asking for them.
                Here is a quote from Mr. Echopulse on a different thread;

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                I do not think that OZ will be a UV release. They would make a big deal about it if it was, Disney likes fanfare. I think they would announce their UV support at some industry conference, perhaps CES next year. They would get more press coverage that way! I also want to point out that it is the law that all new releases after a certain date include subtitles, you just have to turn it on in the settings. Most of the newer releases have it now. Cloud Atlas, Warm Bodies, The Hobbit are just 3 examples.

He indicates The Hobbit does have sub-titles. Does your's not? When you look at the movie details on Vudu/Search, it does indicate Subtitles English.

My new Monsters vs. Aliens does. On the iPad too, but that is a TV show.

Comment

You're correct, The Hobbit shows on VUDU that it has captions. I'll need to download it to test it. I was checking on the More Info tab, not the Overview tab, so I missed it.

Hunger Games, also from 2012, does not show on VUDU that it has captions.

Comment

I would expect mirroring to work, since you are showing whatever is on the screen, and it doesn't need to know about VUDU. But I'll have to leave it to others to prove it out. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5209

iTunes is doing HD on my iPad now. If UV can't or won't do it, the studios have a handicap making it succeed. I'm hoping it's more tied to the Common File Format than to any licensing restrictions. Flixster and CinemaNow seem to have the same constraints today.

Here is a photo of an iPad 2 working with Airplay Mirroring playing a movie through the Vudu 2.0 iOS app.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7kG...it?usp=sharing

It works and there is audio on the TV, but there is a lot of dead space and the quality is poor. I do not see why if I was in my home with my AppleTV why I would ever want to elect this option for watching a Vudu movie instead of using a Vudu app directly connected to the TV which would give me HDX quality instead of the sub-standard playback I get using this method.

On this TV, there is a PS3 connected via an HDMI cable. It would play the same movie, but in 1080p.

Maybe if I was somewhere where there was an AppleTV and I wanted to reference a movie for some reason it would be nice to have.

As a playback method to enjoy watching a movie, it just doesn't make sense to me to do it this way, but it does work.

Comment

It was much better with the iPad video cables.

You can use your TV to zoom the picture, but the quality will suffer.

Comment

It was much better with the iPad video cables.

You can use your TV to zoom the picture, but the quality will suffer.

...or for the cost of an Apple iPad A/V cable, I can buy a Roku-3 and pipe out 1080p to the TV and by-pass the iPad altogether.

Comment

I carry the iPad when I travel, but not an Apple TV or Roku. I really don't understand the source of the VUDU issue with Apple TV. It's good for the studios that you can watch your licensed content. Use of a cable, Apple TV or wifi should not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
                            ...or for the cost of an Apple iPad A/V cable, I can buy a Roku-3 and pipe out 1080p to the TV and by-pass the iPad altogether.
                            Sorry, don't understand how you're doing this? Can you be more specific as I have the AppleTV and the Roku 3 but don't know how the 2 are connected?

Comment

Well at firstI thought this upgrade was an improvement. But after three days of opening the app a few times, it totally quit working. Now when I open the app, all I see is a black screen. Totally useless. Please hire some real programmers. Vudu, I want to like you, but you are making it difficult. This took way too long, and the CinemaNow app is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
                                Sorry, don't understand how you're doing this? Can you be more specific as I have the AppleTV and the Roku 3 but don't know how the 2 are connected?

they are not.

I was suggesting instead of buying an AV cable for an iPad to project your iPad Vudu app onto a TV to instead save the cost of the AV cable (which apple makes you pay dearly for) and instead spend the money on a Roku-3. That way you have a native Vudu app projecting 1080p onto your TV instead of a back door through an iPad app.

Comment

Working...
                                X