Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Some movies lost UV compatibility....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some movies lost UV compatibility....

Kokomo,

In 2008, I purchased some movies from the PlayStation Network. They downloaded onto my PS3 and I discovered being able to use it as an HD set-top box for the playback of movies.

I experimented with ripping my personal DVD collection and streaming to my PS3 via Windows Media Player.

I found a method that worked, but it took, a pass at DVD decrypting, and two passes at Handbreak. The final result did work, but a lot of quality was lost and each title took about a full day to complete.

When I got an AppleTV in 2011, I found the iTunes stream via LAN took only one Handbreak pass and the quality was sufficient.

I then proceeded to rip my entire DVD collection. I spent countless hours doing so and had one hard drive crash during this time, loosing a massive amount of work which needed to be redone.

What you expedience with your "Something About Mary" copy being lost and then brought back as the theatrical version is anomalous.

On my PS3, the HDD finally gave out and the PSN Support policy was not to allow a second download. Period. This means my paid content was lost with the age of my PS3 HDD. It was not a permanent purchase.

According to the National Archives, optical disc age is seven years. This includes DVD and Bluray Disc.

When I discovered Vudu, and their unrivaled D2D incentive program, I knew instantly this was a game changing technology. No technology is perfect. However, it is known that the gold standard for longevity storage is a redundant storage array.

This is something simply out of the reach for consumers. Vudu provides it to me for my media purchase free of charge. I need only buy my titles from them.

Further, I have remote access to my entertainment collection in crystalline 1080p. I am sorry for your anomalous situation, but my resolve is un-wavered in my enthusiasm for this new technology.

I appreciate you feel wronged and that you are a victim of a bait and switch of which you find a disturbing precedent.

I respectfully hold to a different opinion.

Sincerely,

-Walter

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
      Kokomo,
      I appreciate you feel wronged and that you are a victim of a bait and switch of which you find a disturbing precedent.
      -Walter

Walter respectfully I don't think you understand this is not about me but about all the people who have posted about UltraViolet account abuse and those that did not post but still had this happen to them with different movies.

Yes paying for movies to be added to your UltraViolet account and having them disappear is a disturbing precedent.

Comment

I see.

So instead of you feeling it to be an anomalous event, you consider it to be systemic.

Further you feel it a blatant breach of contract, which you find disturbing enough to bring into question the viability of the services offered by UV retailers.

I again respectfully disagree, but thank you for clarifying your position.

Comment

The life span of optical media is based on a number of factors to include the quality of said disc. It's important to note that any general life spans given for optical media by the National Archives is for recorded media (duplicated) rather than replicated media. Thus the replicated DVDs and Blu-rays, those that contain movies, should have a much higher life span assuming those discs are stored properly of course.

Comment

touche...

There is a word which I think may be helpful in analogy.

The word is "attenuation". It is the degradation of signal over distance.

If the definition be altered to replace the word distance with time, it could be said any form of physical media, be it mylar which is prone to stretching and loss of magnetism or optical disc which looses reflectivity, has a much higher attenuation in comparison to redundant storage arrays.

A redundant storage array can maintain digital content in pristine condition for perpetuity. The threat is economic in the sustainability. Not technical, as in physical media.

Therefore, physical media is an inferior vehicle for the storage of entertainment content. The fact that there was an anomalous title discrepancy I think is rather missing the point, is all I was attempting to communicate.

Perhaps I did so poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by bjeong1381 View Post
              Well I just noticed that 3 of my movies lost the UV symbol and are no longer in my UVVU.com locker. If this is how the whole vudu/uv ecosystem is gonna work then I might as well quit now. I paid for the 3 movies through the D2D service and now they are all gone from my UVVU.com account. They all still show on vudu but if vudu were to shut down I no longer have the UV rights to them which is what I thought the main advantage to the whole UV system was. Once I have the license on uvvu.com it is mine no matter what happens. Apprently not. Here are the titles.

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
              Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
              There's Something About Mary Extended Edition
              This happened with the unrated version of Live Free die Hard. I remeber because it was the first movie I converted using D2D and I bought an upgrade to HDX for 9.99 during a sale (disc was beyond readable by that point) then two months later I went to watch it and noticed the uv symbol was gone. Vudu kindly switched it out for the theatrical one (lost all the fun scenes D: lol) and I still have the unrated as well because It grandfathered into my uvvu even if I can't watch it any other place but vudu. Interesting that this is happening. I thought this was a safe way to keep our movies watchable and shareable. (I do not live with my family so I use UV to share with my younger siblings) Sucks for them if all the titles lose their logo

Comment

A little bit of positive news. The Hills Have Eyes (unrated) regained its UV status today along with the new Fox UV titles. No luck on Mary or the Harold and Kumar movies.

Comment

After working with the studio, There's something about Mary (Extended Edition) will regain UV rights. It should happen in the next few weeks. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielH View Post
                    After working with the studio, There's something about Mary (Extended Edition) will regain UV rights. It should happen in the next few weeks. If you have any questions, please let me know.
                    That's good news!

Can you explain why it lost UV rights? I am assuming that this was an accident since we're suppose to have access to our movies in the cloud "forever" according to the UV website. Of course, this could have just been a Vudu issue...I really don't know what the impact is because I have the theatrical version that is still UV, but I am curious and wanting to learn a bit more about how UV rights are managed.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
                      That's good news!

Can you explain why it lost UV rights? I am assuming that this was an accident since we're suppose to have access to our movies in the cloud "forever" according to the UV website. Of course, this could have just been a Vudu issue...I really don't know what the impact is because I have the theatrical version that is still UV, but I am curious and wanting to learn a bit more about how UV rights are managed.
                      It seems that it was just a mistake. The theatrical was the version that should have been enabled for UV in the first place. So when it was corrected, many lost the UV rights because they had the extended version.

Comment

It seems that it was just a mistake. The theatrical was the version that should have been enabled for UV in the first place. So when it was corrected, many lost the UV rights because they had the extended version.
                        Glad to hear but what about the Harold and Kumar movies that lost UV rights?

Comment

Originally posted by bjeong1381 View Post
                          Glad to hear but what about the Harold and Kumar movies that lost UV rights?
                          We're still working on it, i'll keep you posted.

Comment

We're still working on it, i'll keep you posted.
                            thank you!

Comment

I noticed that some Weinstein Company movies have lost thier UV status, for example, Django Unchained, and Silver Linings Playbook. I was hoping that more Weinstein Company movies would be added to the UV ecosystem, and instead the current movies lose it? This is not good at all.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                                I noticed that some Weinstein Company movies have lost thier UV status, for example, Django Unchained, and Silver Linings Playbook. I was hoping that more Weinstein Company movies would be added to the UV ecosystem, and instead the current movies lose it? This is not good at all.
                                When I saw this, I immediately logged into my account to see what was going on. I see that Silver Linings has lost the UV symbol on VUDU, so I went to my UVVU account. Not only is it still in there, but it's still in my Flixster account at last check as well (I redeemed the code on VUDU.) So I still have it in my UV account right now, and I have no way of knowing if it was ever removed at one point. I'm going to keep checking back on this one, but this is definitely an alarming trend of lost UV symbols lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X