Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU vs Satellite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU vs Satellite

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
    To be fair and balanced there must be at least one thing you like about Directv.
    NFL Sunday Ticket. I'm irked that they have exclusive rights to that (through 2011 I think).

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
      NFL Sunday Ticket. I'm irked that they have exclusive rights to that (through 2011 I think).
      Yeah, that's a *****. It's one year "after" Jupiter becomes a star and life is discovered on IO.

It was actually one of the big reasons I switched from Dish Network, so I could watch Charger games while on the road and in Oregon.

It's even better now, you can order NFL Ticket by the day without having to subscribe to the full season.

Comment

An exerpt I found. The full article is at: http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/200...d_channels.php

"Our new DIRECTV 11 satellite will soon join its sister satellite in orbit to form the most robust HD delivery system in the multichannel video industry and will be instrumental in maintaining DIRECTV's position as the undisputed leader in HD for years to come," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc.
        "The strength of our HD offer is not only about the quality and quantity of our national HD channels," he added. "We are continuing to enhance the DIRECTV HD platform by broadcasting our exclusive, interactive sports packages like NCAA, MEGA MARCH MADNESS, NASCAR HOTPASS and NFL SUNDAY TICKET all in HD and adding more HD content to our DIRECTV On Demand VOD platform that will formally launch in the coming weeks."

Just call me a crazy Grumpy Old Member!!

Comment

I actually still have DirecTV on one TV just for NFL Sunday Ticket. But I still have to get the new dish and a new receiver if I want to get the games in HD, which I obviously do. Oh well.

Comment

You are only using one VUDU box for all your TV's ?????

To be fair and balanced there must be at least one thing you like about Directv.
            Not really. I had satellite for a while (Dish Network). Thought about switching to DirecTV, but they had worse package offerings than Comcast.

With Comcast, I can watch TV in any room in my house. I can use the PIP function of my TV natively. I can use my TV's build in HD-DVR that I pay no fees for. I can watch in a driving rainstorm. I have local channels that I don't pay extra for. I don't have to pay $5.00 extra a month for an additional receiver in another room as I have analog cable that can be received by any TV. I've had VOD on Comcast now for the last 2+ years. I can use any DVR I want. I can upgrade my equipment at any time by simply going to my local cable office and getting it.

Did I mention I can watch TV in the rain?

Comment

An exerpt I found. The full article is at: http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/200...d_channels.php
              blah blah blah

Comment

The facts are that it doesn't matter if it's DirectTV or Comcast or Joe's Cable service. All of them are competitors to Vudu. I think Vudu knows this...

Comment

For me it's all about Tivo. Wherever Tivo goes, so do I.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                    blah blah blah
                    Geez Louise... Who's the Grumpy one today??

I've got lots of Meds and willing to share!!

Comment

For me it's all about Tivo. Wherever Tivo goes, so do I.
                      I would love to try Tivo, but unfortunately it doesn't work with Sat and in order to get content to record with TIVO, I'm under the impression you have to get cable to do that.

We have 3 homes one in San Diego, Sacramento, and Oregon.

Our place in Oregon is in the Siuslaw National Forest and they have no cable service there. But even if they did, we would have to have 3 cable service accounts, which would be cost prohibitive for the use we get out of it.

So we have dishes at all three locations and take the Sat box (and VUDU box too) with us when we migrate. Before you say it, it's not illegal to do that if you let them know where the equipment is located when you move it.

So for our (admittedly unique) situation, Sat works really well for us.

Regards

Comment

With Comcast, I can watch TV in any room in my house.
                        I'm not trying to get you angry, but are you saying that you don't need a Comcast set top box to watch all their programming because the TV is somehow comcast compliant? Even if that's true isn't that still saying that every TV has to have a box built into it in order to watch Comcast? Meaning, if you had a plain jane TV in one room would you still be able to watch Comcast without a STB?

Also does the LG TV have Toslink audio outs to send DD to your stereo system or do you use the built in speakers that come with the TV set?

I've never really had any of this stuff, so I'm just curious (not trying to be combative with the Master).

Regards

Comment

I actually still have DirecTV on one TV just for NFL Sunday Ticket. But I still have to get the new dish and a new receiver if I want to get the games in HD, which I obviously do. Oh well.
                          Oh... I forgot to ask, for awhile they were offering everyone free upgrades for new dish's and B-band converters. Did they not offer that to you?

Comment

Oh... I forgot to ask, for awhile they were offering everyone free upgrades for new dish's and B-band converters. Did they not offer that to you?
                            They did. I just didn't want the hassle of them coming out to replace the dish and my DirecTivo box. First they told me that I would be ok if I only cared about NFL Sunday Ticket. Then they told me that I needed the new equipment for the HD part of Sunday Ticket.

Comment

I'm not trying to get you angry, but are you saying that you don't need a Comcast set top box to watch all their programming because the TV is somehow comcast compliant? Even if that's true isn't that still saying that every TV has to have a box built into it in order to watch Comcast? Meaning, if you had a plain jane TV in one room would you still be able to watch Comcast without a STB?
                              I get standard analog cable on every TV which covers probably 80% of the TV I want to watch. On the big set downstairs I have a CableCard slot. The cable card gives me full access to everything with the exception of OnDemand offerings. I do have an HD cable box as I have that hooked into my Replay and Slingbox. Plus then I can get VOD which I rarely watch now with Vudu but use it once in a while for TV shows if the Replay poops out on me. The reason for both the cable card and the cable box is that I can record two different offerings at once.

Also does the LG TV have Toslink audio outs to send DD to your stereo system or do you use the built in speakers that come with the TV set?
                              Yes! I'm watching the NCAA tournament right now in HD on the set's internal tuner. The Toslink audio is running into my Denon rcvr and I'm watching in DD5.1.

As for a TiVo DVR with your DirecTV box, yeah, you can do it. It's 100% compatible. I used my Replays with my Dish boxes prior to dumping Dish. The TiVo has an IR blaster that controls the satellite/cable box. You run the video and audio output of your DirecTV box into your TiVo/Replay and off you go. Now, the new TiVo HD may have component inputs (I'm not sure).

But you see, what's cool with the new TiVoHD and the Tivo Series 3 boxes (HD but more $$$), they have TWO cablecard slots. So you can have two fully compatible CATV tuners in there that get everything you subscribe to. Now, the cable company may charge for the second cable card but it's generally like just a couple bucks a month.

But for your situation with moving from place to place, I see why satellite is more attractive. I liked Dish Network a lot when I had it. But now that I'm back on cable, Comcast's quality in both image and customer service has gone way ip from the past. I really don't see any reason to have to re-wire my house yet again.

So DirecTV's new option has no appeal to me or to a lot of other people who don't want their service. The great thing about Vudu is that it's service independent. I can use it wherever I have broadband in the US and with any provider. I can take it with me and watch content already on the box even with no broadband...

Sorry for being cranky. I'm just tired of hearing the praises of how great Direct-TV is.

Comment

I do have an HD cable box as I have that hooked into my Replay and Slingbox.
                                What advantage does an HD cable box have when run into an SD ReplayTV? I really am curious, since I've got a ReplayTV driving a 55" Sony and the Vudu looks so much better even with SD movies that I'm starting to think about building an HD PVR again... Of course, as soon as I buy the parts Vudu will probably start offering TV show rentals in HD.

-John
                                John - 0x36d3
                                "If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman
                                Pleas support me in Tour de Cure: [url]http://main.diabetes.org/goto/John.Reddersen[/url]

Comment

Working...
                                X