Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU vs Satellite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU vs Satellite

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post

All Glory to Hypno Toad!!

(Are you sure you don't see the revelance of this post to this thread?)

p.s. If you don't agree, then this will help: http://hypnotoad2.ytmnd.com/
    wow! 10 minutes went by in what seemed like a second!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
      wow! 10 minutes went by in what seemed like a second!

Unless your on the West Coast of course. Then it would be 3 Hours and 10 Minutes!!

Comment

Sucessfull Directv D11 HD Mpeg4 satellite launch today. D12 is next later this year.

BEWARE VUDU....... beware....

Comment

Sucessfull Directv D11 HD Mpeg4 satellite launch today. D12 is next later this year.

Seems like a bit of a dramatic overstatement.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
            Seems like a bit of a dramatic overstatement.
            Close RedWein!!

It was an over-dramatic understatement.

Comment

Close RedWein!!

It was an over-dramatic understatement.
              I thought about it and decided I perhaps shouldn't be so glib, because I doubt it's getting my point across.

So let me try this.

I read all the VUDU posts as they're posted. As they pertain to the wish list of VUDU features, here is a list (from memory) of what Directv already offers in comparision:

* They have over 200 channels of cable tv programming

* They have Windows Media compliant media sharing over the intranet for sharing video, music, and photos.

* They have almost 100 channels offering HD content with DD5.1

* They have VOD capability (depending on your definition of it) for hundreds of tv content titles and movies.

* They have VOD and PPV capability for high quality HD movie content. Admittedly anemic at this point, but it's there, available by either satellite or broadband.

* You can order, pay, and watch content via broadband (with a valid customer account).

* They offer Tivo like DVR boxes in HD.

* They offer both subscription based as well as pay per view content.

* They even beat you in the hardware arena. They will give you a box for free and install it for free too.

* You can connect terabyte ESATA disk drives to their box via their USB port.

* You can record content on their DVR and take it on the road to watch without being connected.

* The only thing I can think of that they don't do is offer content for purchase. But I belive that's coming.

* Oh.. and another thing it can't do (yet), is throw Pina Colada's to you in the Beta Pool.

I'm sure I have'nt included all the pertinent bullet points, but hopefully you get the point. They are a player in this space. To ignore them and write them off, would in my opinion be a huge mistake.

To me, with over 15 million current subscribers, they ARE the sleeping giant. And they don't even make computers for living either, so providing content for profit IS there business.

Sure like RonV has said before, they are slow and cumbersome. But that's because they are so large which inherently makes them that way.

I'm definitely not a Directv fanboy, I love VUDU (and HypnoToad too ). But I'm just trying to point out what to me is the obvious that no one wants to recognize (so please don't shoot the messenger). People like pretending that Obama doesn't rhyme with Bin Laden and his middle name isn't Hussein, but it's something that still should be discussed (on a different forum of course).

So I stand by my previous post, BEWARE Vudu.....

They exist AND they have a plan!!

Regards from Grumpy Old Member

Comment

And none of that would make me switch to DirecTV from Vudu and my Comcast cable with Tivo series 3. In fact, I recently got rid of DirecTV to switch to what I have now even though I had been a DirecTV customer for 10 years or so. I didn't appreciate my HD Tivo being obsoleted by them, nor needing to get a new dish every couple of years to pick up their new satellites, nor the fact that rainstorms make it go out, nor the fact that, due to some legal reason, they couldn't provide me with an HD Fox channel at my address, nor the fact that you need to have 2 satellite cables going to each location (I have 4 locations) to have a multi-tuner DVR, etc. Now I wouldn't mind if Vudu added some media extender functionality if they could do it and maintain the aspects of their interface that make it a much better VOD product (in my opinion of course) than Comcast, ATV, DirecTV, Tivo/Amazon Unbox, etc. However, getting VOD right is the absolute most important thing to me for Vudu.

Look, if you really want a product that does everything then go for it. In my experience, products that try to do it all never do anything particularly well. I will continue to have the handful of boxes (and yes it is only a handful) that are the best for the various things I want to do with my system and replace them individually as they come out with compelling new versions or new competitors prove themselves worthy.

I stand by my statement that the "doom and gloom" is a bit much. Vudu so far has proven themselves to be on top of what they are trying to accomplish and I see no reason to just assume that they will fail to compete with something like DirecTV. Heck, even the description of what the DirecTV VOD capabilities are supposed to ultimately be doesn't make it sound particularly good (see my earlier post in this thread).

About the Obama/Bin Laden/Hussein comment. No it really shouldn't be discussed anywhere. It isn't relevant to anything that is important. Unless of course you like to make decisions based on superficial nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                  And none of that would make me switch to DirecTV from Vudu and my Comcast cable with Tivo series 3. In fact, I recently got rid of DirecTV to switch to what I have now even though I had been a DirecTV customer for 10 years or so. I didn't appreciate my HD Tivo being obsoleted by them, nor needing to get a new dish every couple of years to pick up their new satellites, nor the fact that rainstorms make it go out, nor the fact that, due to some legal reason, they couldn't provide me with an HD Fox channel at my address, nor the fact that you need to have 2 satellite cables going to each location (I have 4 locations) to have a multi-tuner DVR, etc. Now I wouldn't mind if Vudu added some media extender functionality if they could do it and maintain the aspects of their interface that make it a much better VOD product (in my opinion of course) than Comcast, ATV, DirecTV, Tivo/Amazon Unbox, etc. However, getting VOD right is the absolute most important thing to me for Vudu.

Look, if you really want a product that does everything then go for it. In my experience, products that try to do it all never do anything particularly well. I will continue to have the handful of boxes (and yes it is only a handful) that are the best for the various things I want to do with my system and replace them individually as they come out with compelling new versions or new competitors prove themselves worthy.

I stand by my statement that the "doom and gloom" is a bit much. Vudu so far has proven themselves to be on top of what they are trying to accomplish and I see no reason to just assume that they will fail to compete with something like DirecTV. Heck, even the description of what the DirecTV VOD capabilities are supposed to ultimately be doesn't make it sound particularly good (see my earlier post in this thread).

About the Obama/Bin Laden/Hussein comment. No it really shouldn't be discussed anywhere. It isn't relevant to anything that is important. Unless of course you like to make decisions based on superficial nonsense.
                  Well, I agree with you 1,000% on everything you say (except the Obama thing).

I wasn't trying to play Directv salesperson, I love my VUDU and use it 80% plus for my movie viewing needs. I was just simply pointing out that they (Directv) do provide features that people on this forum wish for. So that makes them a competitor in this business space. Like I said don't shoot the messenger. I wasn't trying to portrait doom and gloom, just simply don't ignore them. A lot of posters here and other reviews compare ATV as the big guy competitor, and I'm really not so sure of that.

I'm with you all the way (except for the Obama thing, like blindly listening to "God Damn America" for 20 years by your spiritual guide isn't worth talking about as a decision point. I want to go on but I won't, wrong forum).

For me, all I want are more movies with DVD quality or better and DD5.1 or better on demand for a fair price.

p.s. Grumpy Old Members fart alot too.

Comment

Please keep the discussion on topic and drop the presidential candidate jousting. All future posts with references to such will be edited out, and may be deleted.

There's a right place for everything - this is the right place to discuss Vudu topics.

Comment

I wouldn't go for the DirecTV box for a number of reasons:

- I must have their TV service
                      - Sat TV is blocked by things like rain
                      - I have to have a receiver on each TV
                      - My LG TV's built in HD-DVR won't work with it.
                      - DirecTV with all that will cost more than my cable bill
                      - I still question VOD over satellite and how good it will be.

Comment

Did you hear that the DishNetwork satellite had to be put into a safe orbit and that it is now being written off. Aparenty the launch control computer detected that final orbit would not be reached and depoyed the satellite in the safe orbit.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                          I still question VOD over satellite and how good it will be.
                          Actually they really aren't limited by the satellite. It looks like they will use some hybrid system of satellite and broadband. Once they incorporate broadband they could conceivably make that their main pipeline for VOD. I think they will mainly use the satellite to push popular movies to their customers DVRs. For the true pull based VOD I wouldn't be surprised if that is completely done over broadband.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                            Did you hear that the DishNetwork satellite had to be put into a safe orbit and that it is now being written off. Aparenty the launch control computer detected that final orbit would not be reached and depoyed the satellite in the safe orbit.
                            Yes... If you lurk over to the DBSTalk.com forum, you can watch Directv fanboys doing high fives and drinking champaign.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                              - I have to have a receiver on each TV.
                              You are only using one VUDU box for all your TV's ?????

To be fair and balanced there must be at least one thing you like about Directv.

Comment

You are only using one VUDU box for all your TV's ?????

To be fair and balanced there must be at least one thing you like about Directv.
                                Their snazzy logo and color scheme?

Comment

Working...
                                X