Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU Version 1.4 Sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU Version 1.4 Sighting

Originally posted by skeeterfood View Post
    I hate to ruin a perfectly good off tangent discussion, but I thought I'd chime in that my Vudu is now sporting Software version 1.4

I like the updates, though the suggestion logic needs a little work. If I've watched the HD version of something, I probably don't want to watch the SD version and vice versa...
    The suggestion logic is still being worked on (I think it says "Beta"). When it's working correctly, it will display suggested movies based upon your viewing habits.

Comment

And since 1.4 is out now, we can tell you a little more about it.

Beyond the UI changes that are being sported (based on customer suggestions, btw), this build also improves the out of box experience for a new user in 2 ways:

1.) Headless Streaming - Movies will now stream to the box w/o the head residing on the box. It may take a minute or so for viewing to begin but any content will be viewable.

2.) Quicker Database Update during guided setup - When a new user goes through guided setup, the database is updated immediately during that time. The movie heads are pulled down sans posters and artwork within minutes based on connection speed. The movie posters and artwork are then updated over the next few days but the latest database will be viewable right away once the user completes guided setup.

No current user should ever see number 2. Number one, may be seen at some point if say the database catalog has updated but the head hasn't made it to your box for some reason. Or it's possible that some day when the movie library gets huge that Vudu may not store heads of every movie on the box (that's my opinion only - I'm guessing that once the library gets to 50,000 movies or more, it's just not space efficient to keep heads of movies that are rarely if ever watched on the box. It begins to take up a lot of drive space).

There. Now you have it. I hope Skeeterfood really has it otherwise, I'll be in trouble for spilling the beans!

Comment

I'll bail Skeeter out with this link.

http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=2579
        Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

I found the problem.

I had the VUDU in Park with the Brake on, instead of Idle.

Got 1.4 now, so now I've got a new toy to play with until 1.5 is delivered in May (or will it be 1.4.5)!!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnA View Post
            I'll bail Skeeter out with this link.

http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=2579
            My apologies for doubting SkeeterFood.

May he become more than just a great appetizer some day!!!

Comment

I still have some more work to do, but I did get a chance to look at 1.4 for a little bit and here are some of my initial impressions:

I was a little disappointed in MY VUDU that My Rentals, My Movies, My TV Shows weren't in the My Wish List. For me it was exactly the right idea but in the wrong place. Right now they all show empty except for My Movies that have the two Bourne movies I got when I bought the box.

My Wish List unfortunately still has all my titles clumped together. So for me anyways, this new addition adds little value unless it could work the same way for my Wish List.

On the other hand the NEW ON VUDU is a fantastic new feature. It has exactly what I need to help me find the new movies I want to rent. So this may help in the future from getting My Wish List cluttered with unwanted titles. I'm a nit picker, so this isn't mission critical to me, but it would be nice if the categories on NEW ON VUDU were consistent with the categories in MY VUDU. i.e. I think the categories should be New (Movies) to Rent, New to Own, AND also New TV shows. (just a thought)

I really like the Coming Soon category. It keeps unrentable movies off to a corner out of the way, but let's me know what's coming and thus it will be less likely that I'll rent from another service knowing when a desired title will become available.

I was also disappointed that even with the new categories the descriptions still don't indicate the the sound and picture quality without having to select the title from the placard first. That one seemed like an easy gimme to me.

Like I said that's just my initial response from a quick look, I still need to spend some using it for real to give more real feedback.

Overall though I would say you haven't reached the motherland yet, but you're heading in the right direction.

Best Regards
              Grumpster!!

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
                I still have some more work to do, but I did get a chance to look at 1.4 for a little bit and here are some of my initial impressions:

I was a little disappointed in MY VUDU that My Rentals, My Movies, My TV Shows weren't in the My Wish List. For me it was exactly the right idea but in the wrong place. Right now they all show empty except for My Movies that have the two Bourne movies I got when I bought the box.
                The idea was to make it easier to segregate rentals, purchases, and TV shows. If you have a number of rentals, a number of purchased movies and a number of TV shows purchases, this organization is a HUGE help. I think you'll come to like it quite a bit. I can see why it seems useless when you have nothing in them at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                  The idea was to make it easier to segregate rentals, purchases, and TV shows. If you have a number of rentals, a number of purchased movies and a number of TV shows purchases, this organization is a HUGE help. I think you'll come to like it quite a bit. I can see why it seems useless when you have nothing in them at this time.
                  Exactly. If you're like me, then you would have had to scroll through many, many episodes of Family Guy before you got to the rest of your movie library.
                  Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

Yes I do see your logic. But I hope you can see mine as well.

I only rent movies and don't normally rent a bunch of movies ahead of time and then watch them later. Doing that would be counter-intutitive to the feature you tout so much about VUDU's ability to find, rent, and watch instantly when you're in the mood.

Instead I put possible rental candidates in my Wish List for later when we're ready to watch a movie. My movie selections and the point in time that we actually watch them could be days if not weeks apart.

So I rely heavily on the Wish List to help me remember what movies I found to be interested in. And so I guess my point is that the Wish List is a little less effective than I think it could be.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
                      Instead I put possible rental candidates in my Wish List for later when we're ready to watch a movie. My movie selections and the point in time that we actually watch them could be days if not weeks apart.
                      So given that the only thing you rent is movies, how would you improve the wish list? I'm confused.

The My Vudu interface gives you a list of content that matches:

My Rentals -> Movies you have already rented
                      My Movies -> Purchased Movies
                      My TV -> Purchased TV shows
                      My Wish List -> Content on your wish list

I took your comments to mean you'd like to see the wish list further broken down into:

My Wish List for Movies I want to rent
                      My Wish List for Movies I want to purchase
                      My TV Wish List

But given you'd only use the first one, I don't quite follow how that would work.

What do you think would add better functionality to the wish list. What is it missing?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnA View Post
                        Exactly. If you're like me, then you would have had to scroll through many, many episodes of Family Guy before you got to the rest of your movie library.
                        I understand what you're saying.

My top 5 list of TV shows is Family Guy. But we record it and watch it via Directv. So the situation you describe is not going to be an issue for me.

I'm not trying to say it's a bad feature. It's just I "Wish" that it could work exactly the same way for me and My Wish List.

BTW Did you see the last episode where Brian shows Stewie the video of the two women and a cup?? I'll never be able to eat ice cream again!!

Comment

So given that the only thing you rent is movies, how would you improve the wish list? I'm confused.

I took your comments to mean you'd like to see the wish list further broken down into:

My Wish List for Movies I want to rent
                          My Wish List for Movies I want to purchase
                          My TV Wish List

But given you'd only use the first one, I don't quite follow how that would work.

What do you think would add better functionality to the wish list. What is it missing?
                          No you have the concept correct. But maybe the categories are off a little.

What I do see now when I search are movies that can only be purchased but it says right next to that it will be available for rent soon.

So it would be nice to put that movie in the Wish List but only show up in the Available for Rent category only after it is in fact available for rent.

And I also didn't mean that I would never rent a TV show, just not purchase it. I would definitely rent a season of something like Stargate or Star Trek in HD and DD5.1 if I could. But it would be nice to have all the episodes socked away in it's own category in the Wish List, since I would not watch them all in one sitting.

Happy to clarify more as needed, but hope you get my meaning.

Comment

Well what you want then is the "coming soon" functionality pulled into your wish list.

So if you look on the "Coming Soon" section, you might see the following:

Movie A - Available to purchase on X date
                            Movie B - Available to rent on Y date
                            Movie C - Available to purchase and rent on Z date

So you'd like to be able to take and put movies B and C into a "Coming Soon Rental" section of your wish list. This would segregate those from movies in your wish list that are already available. So in other words, the Wishlist would be another whole section in Vudu. You go in there and you'd have a new screen with the following options:

Current Content Wish List
                            Coming Soon Rental Wish List
                            Coming Soon Purchase Wish List
                            TV Wish List

I don't know how many people have large and extensive wish lists, but I see the value you would place on this...

Have I got it now?

Comment

So as an addendum to my previous post.

Now that there is a new category for Coming Soon, I'll have to use it for awhile, but I predict that I would tend to ignore Movies to Buy but still use Movies Coming Soon to add titles to my Wish List.

And in this case it would still be nice to have a "Coming Soon" and "Movies Available to Rent" in the wish list.

You would put a Coming Soon in the Wish List. Forget about it for a few weeks and then the way I envision it, is that all of sudden the movie shows up in the Movies Available to Rent category in the Wish List after it becomes available.

So I picked out the movie weeks ago, put it in my wish list, and then it shows up as a movie avaialble for rent weeks later, I see it, I rent it, We watch it, We eat popcorn, Drink Wine..... Happy Little Campers!!!

Comment

Well what you want then is the "coming soon" functionality pulled into your wish list.

So if you look on the "Coming Soon" section, you might see the following:

Movie A - Available to purchase on X date
                                Movie B - Available to rent on Y date
                                Movie C - Available to purchase and rent on Z date

So you'd like to be able to take and put movies B and C into a "Coming Soon Rental" section of your wish list. This would segregate those from movies in your wish list that are already available. So in other words, the Wishlist would be another whole section in Vudu. You go in there and you'd have a new screen with the following options:

Current Content Wish List
                                Coming Soon Rental Wish List
                                Coming Soon Purchase Wish List
                                TV Wish List

I don't know how many people have large and extensive wish lists, but I see the value you would place on this...

Have I got it now?
                                You beat me to the finish line. You're like a perfect C Note tuning fork all great Master!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X