Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU Version 1.4 Sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU Version 1.4 Sighting

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
    I don't know how many people have large and extensive wish lists.
    It's ok Shultzie I know you don't know. I'm slowly getting use to it!!

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
      You beat me to the finish line. You're like a perfect C Note tuning fork all great Master!!!!

I will post a feature request.

Comment

In an effort to head off a tourettes syndrome episode, let me interpret the headhodge. What I think he would like to see is multiple folders inside the Wish List, with the ability to put different wishes in different folders.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
          In an effort to head off a tourettes syndrome episode, let me interpret the headhodge. What I think he would like to see is multiple folders inside the Wish List, with the ability to put different wishes in different folders.
          I think we got this one taken care of Brain. It should be out and available in 1.4.3!!!

You have the concept correct. But I would like to emphasize the key feature I'm trying to convey is that you would initially put a title in one folder in the wish list but then it would automatically show up in another folder as the status of the title changes over time.

NA9D is totally understanding my meaning now. I just like giving Shultzie a hard time. I even do this on my own time for free!! But if I'm overdoing it, he can let me know and I'll lay low.

BTW Did you get my Thank You card for the Tang??

Regards

Comment

I have a little more feedback to give on 1.4

We used VUDU to watch I Am Legend.

I was dissapointed that a month or so ago I was convinced by other posters to watch Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. It ruined the whole movie for me, because I knew exactly how the movie would turn out from the beginning.

I digress....

What I wanted to say is that the New to Rent category is a really nice added feature but still doesn't quite capture what I was looking for.

It lists movie sorted by newly added movies to VUDU (which is good). But the side effect is now I have to wade through a bunch of older movies that I'm not interested in to find the newer ones that I am interested in.

I'm not sure what's the best way to express it.

My SQL is a "lot" rusty, but I was hoping for something like:

"Find all movies where the movie is available for rent AND the release date of the movie is less than 24 months old from todays date; sort by date made available by VUDU."

Netflix does this basically by having 2 categories: "New Movies for Rent" and "Movies Released to DVD". The first category shows all the new movies available for rent and the second one shows all the older library titles that are newly available for rent.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post

"Find all movies where the movie is available for rent AND the release date of the movie is less than 24 months old from todays date; sort by date made available by VUDU."
              I'll put the request in to "Publish DB Schema", "Metadata", and "Relationships" of the VUDU database. Along with creating the special "Hodge" button that allows one custom query to be assigned to it. It might take a couple of years to knock this one out.

The issue is with a "simple" user interface on screen coming up with "simple" ways of doing "complex" things become "complex." On a web site they could always offer advanced searches that would be almost impossible on the current UI of the VUDU and other appliances due to the nature of interface of a web site.

The VUDU has a 6 button remote, the computer connecting to the internet has a mouse and a keyboard. Could you imagine what a "Query Builder" would look like if your only interface was the VUDU's remote?

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                I'll put the request in to "Publish DB Schema", "Metadata", and "Relationships" of the VUDU database. Along with creating the special "Hodge" button that allows one custom query to be assigned to it. It might take a couple of years to knock this one out.

The issue is with a "simple" user interface on screen coming up with "simple" ways of doing "complex" things become "complex." On a web site they could always offer advanced searches that would be almost impossible on the current UI of the VUDU and other appliances due to the nature of interface of a web site.

The VUDU has a 6 button remote, the computer connecting to the internet has a mouse and a keyboard. Could you imagine what a "Query Builder" would look like if your only interface was the VUDU's remote?
                A "Hodge" button would great, I'm thinking maybe you could get the elves to work a little harder, and get it out for Christmas!

I totally realize the issue. But someone had to decide which query that is used behind "Button #1". So I was just giving feedback on my personal usage pattern. If I'm not just an anamoly but more the majority, I was suggesting a slight tweak to the button's function. (I'll be happy to write the query if needed!! )

Another thing that might be possible is to add an extra sort option in the Search Genere to include sorting by Release Date by VUDU. That would take care of my problem too.

Another thing that would take care of my problem too, is MORE MEDS!!!

Comment

I think the solution is to make those sub categories searchable and sortable just like the main Explore Genres section. I agree with you that sorting and filtering would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                    Simple: Just make every sub-section that lists movies have the capability to being sorted like the explore genres section. That would do it. Same interface.

Also, global user preferences could also be set as well for how a user would want each sub-section sorted.

There's a lot of "easy" ways to do this...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      Simple: Just make every sub-section that lists movies have the capability to being sorted like the explore genres section. That would do it. Same interface.

Also, global user preferences could also be set as well for how a user would want each sub-section sorted.

There's a lot of "easy" ways to do this...
                      Right On!!! Go man Go!!!

I'm hopping on a plane in my iron lung up to San Jose as we speak. I could have this done by time I check into the hotel!!

Comment

It lists movie sorted by newly added movies to VUDU (which is good). But the side effect is now I have to wade through a bunch of older movies that I'm not interested in to find the newer ones that I am interested in.

I'm not sure what's the best way to express it.

Try this and see how close it gets to what you are looking for:

- go to "Explore Catalog" > "Explore by Genre"
                        - select the filter "Available to Rent"
                        - sort by "Top Picks"

Our Top Picks are based on a bunch of factors (which are subject to change of course) but the most significant are "new major releases" and "new availability on VUDU".

So to put words in your mouth - you'd like a way to pick your favorite sort/filter and put it in an easy-to-access location. Sort of a "custom search" button... I believe that idea has been tossed around a bit, and I think that would be an interesting feature. But the only thing I can promise is IF we ever add something like that, we won't make you use SQL

-Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                          Try this and see how close it gets to what you are looking for:

- go to "Explore Catalog" > "Explore by Genre"
                          - select the filter "Available to Rent"
                          - sort by "Top Picks"

Our Top Picks are based on a bunch of factors (which are subject to change of course) but the most significant are "new major releases" and "new availability on VUDU".

So to put words in your mouth - you'd like a way to pick your favorite sort/filter and put it in an easy-to-access location. Sort of a "custom search" button... I believe that idea has been tossed around a bit, and I think that would be an interesting feature. But the only thing I can promise is IF we ever add something like that, we won't make you use SQL

-Jake
                          Thanks for your reply Jake,

Yes that's exactly what I do now, except I also select a release date of "last 12 months" as well.

So although it seems to work fairly well, like I've documented in some of my previous posts in the IR Support thread, it takes over 20 key presses to write a Harmony Remote macro to do this for me.

And before there was the IR dongle, I had to manually do this "every" time with my remote. There is no memory of the last search I did, so I have to start from scratch every time.

Hopefully you get my meaning, but I will be glad to elaborate as needed.

Can I least change the HTML so that it says "HODGE" on one of the buttons??

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jake,

Yes that's exactly what I do now, except I also select a release date of "last 12 months" as well.

So although it seems to work fairly well, like I've documented in some of my previous posts in the IR Support thread, it takes over 20 key presses to write a Harmony Remote macro to do this for me.

And before there was the IR dongle, I had to manually do this "every" time with my remote. There is no memory of the last search I did, so I have to start from scratch every time.

Hopefully you get my meaning, but I will be glad to elaborate as needed.

Can I least change the HTML so that it says "HODGE" on one of the buttons??
                            So here's a "half-baked" thought.

Just change the name of View By Genre to "My View".

Then whenever you go there it remembers your last query from the last time you were there and displays the results without having to change the query settings unless you wanted to see the resulting list in a different way.

Then in Info/Settings have an option that allows you to change the name of the "My View" button to "Hodge View".

Comment

Working...
                            X