Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Suggestions from new users!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions from new users!

Originally posted by redwein View Post
    I still see subtitles and CC as one of those things that a small number of people find very important but most people never use. I have a lot of friends who watch TV, movies, etc. Not one of them ever uses them (unless it is a foreign film). Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that delaying it makes sense if they can do other things that appeal to a larger percentage of their target market.
    I wonder who their target market is? Do they want to go mainstream? Are they going after the affluent techie/audiophile?

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
      I wonder who their target market is? Do they want to go mainstream? Are they going after the affluent techie/audiophile?
      My point is that, no matter who they are going after, a rather small number of people use the feature. Obviously they need to deal with it at some point, but looking at the other things that have been requested, those other things are more likely to make a difference to more people and should be addressed first. You can only do so many things at once.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
        My point is that, no matter who they are going after, a rather small number of people use the feature.
        If you're talking about closed captions or subtitles, I don't know how you can make the determination that it's only used by a small number of users.

How do you know that more users would rather have dd 5.1 than closed captions/subtitles? Certainly this forum does not represent the average user population out there ...

Comment

Come on guys, let's not bicker over the relative merits of CC vs 5.1. It's not like they are going to have to choose one over the other.

Fact: Vudu will deliver as many movies on 5.1 as possible. The capability to support 5.1 is already in the product, it's just a matter of beating up the studios to let go of their precious data. When the HD titles start hitting the catalog, I will be shocked if they aren't all in 5.1.

Fact: CC support is not in the current product. This feature request was brought up a long time ago in the early months of beta testing. The reality of the hardware (as we've all learned here) is that HDMI cannot deliver CC, so even if/when they start putting CC in the datastream, it still won't deliver text on the screen to the high end users. Only a subtitle implementation will fully fill the need.

The decision on supporting CC/Subtitles is not tied to expanded 5.1 delivery. It's not an either or. It might become an and/both, but we don't know when.

If the discussion of the OP's observations keeps going downhill like this, I will close this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
            Come on guys, let's not bicker over the relative merits of CC vs 5.1. It's not like they are going to have to choose one over the other.

Fact: Vudu will deliver as many movies on 5.1 as possible. The capability to support 5.1 is already in the product, it's just a matter of beating up the studios to let go of their precious data. When the HD titles start hitting the catalog, I will be shocked if they aren't all in 5.1.

Fact: CC support is not in the current product. This feature request was brought up a long time ago in the early months of beta testing. The reality of the hardware (as we've all learned here) is that HDMI cannot deliver CC, so even if/when they start putting CC in the datastream, it still won't deliver text on the screen to the high end users. Only a subtitle implementation will fully fill the need.

The decision on supporting CC/Subtitles is not tied to expanded 5.1 delivery. It's not an either or. It might become an and/both, but we don't know when.

If the discussion of the OP's observations keeps going downhill like this, I will close this thread.

Nded,

I really don't think we are bickering. RW thinks that cc/subtitle users are used by the vast minority - I'm just wondering how he knows that, based on him asking some friends.

I'm not arguing for cc vs dd5.1, I'm just wondering what vudu's priorities are.

I previously asked an open question about who do we think vudu is targeting. I'm honestly wondering if it's the high-end guys represented in here or if it's the average joe blockbuster customer who just got broadband last month. If it's the average joe on the street then perhaps dd5.1 is not as important a priority as cc/st. That's all I'm wondering. I'm guessing HD and DD5.1 are the highest priorities for vudu ...

I have a home theater in the basement with HD/5.1 and use it for the blockbusters like 300. But when it comes watching to Sleepless In Seattle with my wife, we prefer to watch in the bedroom on our SD TV. So I'm not saying one feature is more important or better than the other. Just wondering what vudu's priorities are - since they won't tell us ...

Comment

I really don't think we are bickering.
              I agree. I didn't think we were bickering either. I thought we were just discussing and trying to understand the priorities based on our own perspective of what we thought was important to us and the market.

Comment

That was just sent as a mild warning, as I didn't like the tone of "How do you know...", when this is really just an exchange of opinions. I just didn't want to see this spiral into an argument on the relative merits of CC.

Comment

I'm just going to assume that Vudu is working equally hard on hd,dd5.1, cc, subtitles, and an up-to-the-minute collection - they are ALL TOP priority

Comment

Just filled out the Vudu survey they sent. They didn't even list subtitles or closed captions as one of the features most important to the users to pick from..... sigh ....

Comment

So how did you respond to that question? My top 3 were HD, movie selection, and longer rental period (window?). If those 3 are addressed, I can completely abandon my old way of doing things and can move into the world of HD without having to buy a BluRay or HD DVD player or discs. I would really start "urging" my friends to jump on this if that looks really imminent.

Comment

FWIU, at present Vudu's target market is high end consumers. I'm speaking for them which could be a risky thing to do, but I think it's a safe bet they chose to target the high end user first. The high end users are likely going to be the early adopters of the technology. They have more disposable capital to spend on the box early on when the costs are high. I know from the types of stores that Vudu is initial targeting, that these stores are high end. So, I don't think it's incorrect to say that the first target market is high end users.

Long term, I believe Vudu's goal would be to have a box in every living room in the country! So long term they do want to sell the box to every Joe "Six Pack" out there. Costs will eventually come down to the point where that can be supported and Vudu's distribution model will ramp to that point as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                          FWIU, at present Vudu's target market is high end consumers. I'm speaking for them which could be a risky thing to do, but I think it's a safe bet they chose to target the high end user first. The high end users are likely going to be the early adopters of the technology. They have more disposable capital to spend on the box early on when the costs are high. I know from the types of stores that Vudu is initial targeting, that these stores are high end. So, I don't think it's incorrect to say that the first target market is high end users.

Long term, I believe Vudu's goal would be to have a box in every living room in the country! So long term they do want to sell the box to every Joe "Six Pack" out there. Costs will eventually come down to the point where that can be supported and Vudu's distribution model will ramp to that point as well.

Makes sense NA9D.

RW - I think I picked the same 3 features as you. Of course I put my request for subtitles/cc in the comment box

I just rented the long-awaited "Knocked Up" last night, but haven't watched it yet. This morning I get an email-ad from TiVo about updated unbox video offerings and Knocked Up is for rent at 99 cents!?! along with 300 and others ... competition is heating up!

Comment

The Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player was being sold lat week at WalMart for $98.99.

so the Vudu just like all other products will go down in price and will become the box to have!!!!!!!

"if you build it, they will come"

Comment

CC or subtitle maybe like handicap parking spots, most people don't use them and sometime complained rarely anyone use them. Yet for those who in need, it's the way our sociality shows that we care.
                              Of course Vudu is a corporation with a goal of money making; not charity. If law doesn't require they to build it, they don't have to. However, it would just be nice to see at least a show of gesture , an effort to move it up in term of priority .

Comment

I just rented the long-awaited "Knocked Up" last night, but haven't watched it yet. This morning I get an email-ad from TiVo about updated unbox video offerings and Knocked Up is for rent at 99 cents!?!
                                I just checked Amazon Unbox on my Tivo for Knocked Up. It is showing that it's only available for purchase at $14.99.

Comment

Working...
                                X